13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2011 7:38 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 9 unstable with reoccuring memory warning

nfiset56

I have a PC with intel core i7 with a 860@2.80GHz with 4GB of RAM and Win 7 (32 bit)... I started a project this weekend that is due next saturday, so I'm a little worried about the Premiere Element 9 stability I have seen so far...

My project is set for full HD in 16:9, which is most of the clips I have in the project, but I have many clips in HD but in a 4:3 format, some in 16:9 but in SD, and finally one clip in 4:3 AVI 640 X 480... I have rendred the project that is about 1 hour and 15 minutes long. The playback within the software is smooth. But the last few hours where brutal... I got many messages about the computer running on low memory, the software stopped actually froze 5 times requiring a forced shutdown, and when I finally got to the burning to blu-ray, I almost immediately got a Transcoding error... Is there something I should be looking for that would creat that problem?

I have 25 hours of work on this project, I would not appreciate having to start over again in another sorftware... Should I transfer my hard drive to a 64 bit machine to get this done? I need to get this to a blu-ray disc before Saturday...

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unstable with reoccuring memory warning
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like you're mixing formats and not rendering.

Do you see red lines above the clips on your timeline? That means you need to render -- either because you've added effects or because the format of video youv'e added doesn't match the project specs.

Matching the project specs to your source video is vital to quality video production and stable program performance. That's why we highly recommend against mixing formats in a project. Particularly, as you are, putting standard def video into a hi-def project. Yech!

What project settings did you select when you set up your project? Did you ensure it matched your HD video source? What model of camcorder is your video coming from?

That said, if you'll render whenever you see red lines above your clips (press Enter; when rendered the red lines will turn green) you'll have much more stable performance -- and the video you play back will look much more like your final output.

There may be other things going on. But by editing video in a project set up for that specific video format and rendering whenever you see red lines above your clips, you should experience excellent performance. And your transcoding should go much more smoothly also.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unstable with reoccuring memory warning
            nfiset56 Level 1

Yes I have been rendering, and playback in PE9 is smooth. There is only one clip (AVI from a mini DV camcorder) that needs to be rendered everytime I re-open the project, and it takes about 15 minutes to render it (a 4 minute clip). I feel like it<s that clip especially that is giving me grief...

I keep getting the low memory message,  PE9 stops responding sometimes, and when I go to burn to blu-ray, I get the Transcoding error... I did find a gap in between two clips... could that create a problem?

Also, if I do swap my machine for a 64 bit, will it help PE9?

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unstable with reoccuring memory warning
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Version 9 will not be affected by your upgrade to 64-bit. It still runs in 32-bit compatibility mode.

Version 10, however, includes a 64-bit version of the software as well as a fix to that bug that requires you to re-render every time you reopen your project.

The gap on your timeline may be giving you problems -- but loading a DV-AVI into a project set up for HD is not a good idea. Among other things, these formats use different interlacing methods. That means that, when you output your DVD or BluRay or whatever, you're liable to get a lot of stuttering in your playback.

I can't give you any more specific advice since I don't know what kind of camcorder your hi-def video is coming from or what format it is.

Meantime, one workaround that, if nothing else, can help you troubleshoot your project is to output it with Share/Computer/MPEG using the 1440x1080 30i output settings. This creates an HDV .m2t video of your project. You can then open a new project, set up for HDV, import that MPEG/M2T into it and place it on your hard drive. Since the video is fully rendered, the transcoding to BluRay should go bug free -- or a failure within the process where tell you where your hiccup is happening.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unstable with reoccuring memory warning
                nfiset56 Level 1

Sorry, most of my clips are from a Sony HDR-XR550V and then many clips from a GOPRO camera (don't know the exact model... In PremierPro2 I used to mix 16:9 and 4:3 from different sources all the time... no problem... I guess HD is a whole new ball game...

The reason for many sources, is that my hunting pals have different camcorders (and budgets :-) ) and at the end of the trip, they give me all there footage so I can edit into a video. It's my first time trying to produce HD on a blu-ray.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unstable with reoccuring memory warning
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Aside from getting the Assets into a common form, this ARTICLE might be helpful. It starts with a general checklist of things to get PrE running smoothly, and then goes on to turning up one's system, incuding the OS and also Windows Virtual Memory. I suggest looking at some of those links below the checklist, and especailly "Clean, Lean & Mean," and then "Memory & Resources Issues."

In the specs., I did not see your I/O sub-system listed, i.e. your HDD's, their speed, size, free space, controller type and how you have them allocated. That could play a big role in things too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unstable with reoccuring memory warning
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

when I go to burn to blu-ray, I get the Transcoding error... I did find a gap in between two clips... could that create a problem?

Gaps CAN cause Transcode issues and failures, sometimes with an error, but sometimes not. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unstable with reoccuring memory warning
                      nfiset56 Level 1

Ok I will check out my HDD, but I haven't got the process even close to burning yet... If I pruchase PE 10 that is compatible with a 64 bit system, will I be able to use the same project from PE9?

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unstable with reoccuring memory warning
                        David__B Adobe Employee

If you have a Windows 7 64-bit system (has to be Win 7 not XP/Vista 64-bit) you could also test it out with the trial version of Premiere Elements 10 64-bit. I would recommend using the Project Archiver ( File > Project Archiver) from the PRE9 Editor to create a Archive (trimmed copy) of your project for testing in PRE10. Note this might use a LOT of HD space with a hour+ project of HD footage.

-Dave

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unstable with reoccuring memory warning
                          nfiset

Ok guys, here is the scoop. I managed to get PE9 to save the project on to my computer with the MPEG2 1440x1080i 30 format, and no errors, but for some reason it only saves 34min 12 sec of the project.... but the entire project is 54 min. I tried it many times, and always the exact same time that is saved.

BTW, it only worked if I crank up the quality in advanced settings when I select MPEG2 1440x1080i 30 format... if I leave the setting by default I get a mutliplexing error...

Can you shed some light on this?

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unstable with reoccuring memory warning
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

There are two possibilities, that come to my mind, regarding the partial Export/Share (Save is for the PREL - Project File only, and not media):

• Your HDD is either formated FAT-32, or is full. Please give us the full details of your I/O, i.e. your HDD's
                            • You have accidentally set the WAB (Work Area Bar) to less than the full Duration of the Timeline, and are Exporting/Sharing, that portion. See this ARTICLE for more info on the WAB.

Good luck, and let us know more, please.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unstable with reoccuring memory warning
                              nfiset Level 1

My HDD has plenty of space (730Gb free), the WAB is determined by the grey cursors in the timeline right? They are set at the begining and end of the project...

As for my HDD, it is set to NTFS

They weird thing is that all three attempts save up to the exact same point in the clip... I checked for gaps or something abnormal in my timeline in around that time and I see nothing special...

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unstable with reoccuring memory warning
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

The WAB is defined by two "brackets," one at each end of the "bar" itself. In the middle of the WAB, there is a little "box." To make sure that the WAB does extend for the full Duration, first hit the \ (Backslash key), to zoom out for a full view of the Timeline. Then, Dbl-click on that "box" in the center, to extend it to that full Duration.

As for the WAB and discs, those are the only things that I can think of, that would limit the Export of a Timeline.

Sorry that I do not have any more ideas, but will post them, if I get them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 9 unstable with reoccuring memory warning
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

One thing that you might study, would be what exactly is happening on your Timeline, at the point, that your Export stops. That would be at approximately 00;34;12;00. Study the Timeline at around that point, and see if something is different. Maybe even post a screen-cap of that area, showing ALL Audio and Video Tracks, with the CTI (Current Time Indicator) at that point.

Good luck,

Hunt