13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2011 4:07 AM by nealeh

How to allocate the processes to various drives?

ClissaT

I am ready to render my movie project come hell or high water!

Could you please descirbe specifically which processes you would allocate to which drives on a quad core PC during the rendering process & what names you would give them.

I have a brand new laptop :- well I was going to paste my PC specs here but this window won't allow cut/copy/paste!!!! yet another totally frustrating aspect to this supposedly layman's software!

So from that little outburst you can tell I am at my wits end...................I have read these forums until my eyes bled. I am now even more confused & have 40 more questions than I started with & realize I'm supposed to be an expert on more things than many people would know about in a life time just to operate this PrE software.

So now to do the long hand typing..............

Brand new Asus laptop

win7sp1 up to date 64bit,

IntelR i7-2630QM CPU 2GHz Quad core,

1.5Tb hard drive,

16Gb RAM,

3Gb graphocs card running nVidia EForce with 17.3" screen,

drive C:\ OS 202Gb free of 279Gb,

(D:) DATA 394gb free,

(E:) SDATA1 349Gb free,

(F:) SDATA2 349Gb free,

1xUSB3 & 3+ x USB2,

Removable expansion HDD 2Tb Seagagte USB2 (fast but actual speed unknown),

Blue Ray RW+- CD/DVD internal burner,

Paging file 16361Mb on C:\

Trail version Trend Micro Titanium

Photoshop Premiere Elements 9 up to date.

Not being previously aquainted with more than 1 core, I'm not sure which part of the rendering process to allocate to which drive.

The file will be a big one that's for sure. I didn't know that I was supposed to change the default settings of the PrE or that the photos might be too big. These things are not a problem with WMM.

So the movie is as follows:- (again longhand typing... sigh)

movie files are all .avi   640x480   30f/s   88kbps audio   

all photos are . jpeg mostly 3264 x 2448  180dpi  1.75Mb

all taken with  Cannon PowerShot camera

This project is the first of a set of 3 which will all be17mins long about half & half stills(5sec duration each) & video, with some titles &  lots of transitions.

Since I have the whole PC to use to do the rendering & then burn to file, I'm not concerned about what resources get used. I am sick of making changes & just want to get it done to see if it works & if it will fit on a DVD after. I am burning to file because if more than 1 movie will fit on a disk, that is the way I want to set it up.

So other questions relating to this rendering are:-

Can I do it all in one go or do I have to do it in sections,

Should I make a copy of the movie file first incase it doesn't go well,

I know nothing of how to set the defaults, I just want the movie to play on HD TVs using various DVD players & the odd computer all belonging to friends.

Are there generalised presets for wide screen.

I have previously done a test movie using videos & still photos from this same camera & included titles & transitions & then just burnt it without rendering & it turned out well enough except the picture was a bit too big on the TV.

• 1. Re: How to allocate the processes to various drives?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would recommend you put the project file in its own folder on your second hard drive. Or one of your second hard drives. And do make sure the drive is formatted NTFS (They come from the factory FAT32.).

I would also recommend you resize all of your photos to 1000x750 pixels in size before you bring them into your project, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=30

I'm a bit concerned with your AVIs. These are from a Powershot still camera at 640x480 -- so that likely means they are MJPEG-AVIs, which don't feed well into Premiere Elements. (MovieMaker handles them very well though.) It's possible you can work with them if you set up your project for DSLR 480p -- but I'd definitely recommend you do a test project and output a test DVD and see if you like the results. MJPEGs can cause lots of problems, and it's better that you do a short test project and find the failure now than you put 100 hours into a project and then find it won't go.

If it won't go, you may want to look into converting it to a DV-AVI. In fact, you may want to convert the video anyway. There are instructions for converting MJPEG-AVIs into DV-AVIs in another of our FAQs.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

I also cover a lot of this is my books, if you're interested. http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

In fact, before you get too deeply into your project, you may want to watch my free 8 part Basic Training tutorial series at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

A good start, a good understanding of the program and good prep for your files to maximize their compatibility can save you a world of headaches later in the process!

• 2. Re: How to allocate the processes to various drives?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Brand new Asus laptop

win7sp1 up to date 64bit,

IntelR i7-2630QM CPU 2GHz Quad core,

1.5Tb hard drive,

16Gb RAM,

3Gb graphocs card running nVidia EForce with 17.3" screen,

drive C:\ OS 202Gb free of 279Gb,

(D:) DATA 394gb free,

(E:) SDATA1 349Gb free,

(F:) SDATA2 349Gb free,

Am I correct that your laptop has one physical HDD, but that it's partitioned to four logical drives?

If so, for performance, you will want to keep the logical drives out of the mix. Partitions are really a thing of the past, and slow I/O throughput greatly, plus work the HDD mechanics more. This ARTICLE will give you some background. If your laptop has four physical HDD's, then you are set up nicely, and you can skip that article on partitions.

As far as spreading the CPU load over various cores, that will be handled by the OS and the program. There is little that one can do to direct certain operations to specific cores in the CPU.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to allocate the processes to various drives?
              ClissaT Level 1

Will reducing the size of the photos still mean they show the best quality on the TV screen?

I did make a test movie using some of the same vids & stills I was going to use in the proper movies. It was my first use of PrE & I used it just like I had been using WMM, then the shocks started because PrE doesn't operate like WMM!  However I was happy with that test movie except for the slightly larger than ideal picture with an almost square aspect on the TV even though I had selected a widescreen aspect at the time burning.

Steve the 'properties' doesn't say the vids & stills are MPEG AVI files just .avi. There are also stills & video from another camera that I do have to use in the other 2 movies in the set & they are definitely MPEG with crazy codecs because the camera is a Kodak (apple based). There didn't seem to be any problem with PrE using them or the .avi files or the larger still images all in combo in the 1 test movie. I didn't know about rendering at that stage so I just burnt it to disc.

That's why I just decided to quit stuffing around with this first project & get onto finishing it. I will make a copy of the PrE file as it is now then get onto rendering more as a test to see how it will turn out. If it is all wrong or can't finish I will go back to the copy & modify. But knowing which drives to allocate to which parts of the process is all new to me.

I neglected to mention in my firt post that I have to make PAL movies here in Australia.

The new PC's harddrives are all configured NTFS.  My old laptop had an NTFS harddrive. It's the one I used to make the test movie when I first loaded the PrE on it & discovered it wasn't big enough to make movies more than 6-8mins long possibly due to the photos being so big & also because I never rendered it first.

Hunt,  I paid a lot for this new laptop PC because I was under the impression it had 4 separate drives rather than 1 drive with 4 partitions. I certainly never wanted partitions. Now after what you have just said, I'm not sure what I have. I'm sure the specs talk about different drives. It certainly pictures 4 separate drives in the sys inf & the PC is said to be quad core which to my understanding in this country should mean 4 physical drives. Also I think somewhere  I came across the part numbers or registered numbers for each drive although I can't find that place now.

The drives are MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AS  DVD/CD-ROM  Does that give you any insight to whether there are 4 HDDs or just 1 HDD partitioned?

• 4. Re: How to allocate the processes to various drives?
                ClissaT Level 1

OK so I gave it a go after making a copy of the pre file. I can't find any reference to rendering so I can only assume that happens automaticaly once I set it to 'share'.

I set it to burn to a file on E drive  ;  4.7Gb; PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD; highset quality requiring 1.04Gb at bitrate 8.00mbps.

After 10mins it was 33% done but stopped with an operational error 0x00000002  'The process can not access the file because it's being used by another process'.

News to me since nothing else is running on this PC.

What exactly does it mean & where do I go to look at the log?

• 5. Re: How to allocate the processes to various drives?

Ironically, reducing the resolutions of the photos to the specs I indicated will make your photos look EVEN BETTER on TV. This is because in resizing them you are making them closer to TV resolution and you don't have to depend on the program to down-rez them for you.

Your AVIs are MJPEG-AVIs. I'm sure of it. But you can download the free program G Spot or Media Info and open the file in there and you can see for sure.

• 6. Re: How to allocate the processes to various drives?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Will reducing the size of the photos still mean they show the best quality on the TV screen?

If done in Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements, then the answer is YES. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: How to allocate the processes to various drives?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news that you have separate, physical HDD's. I am envious, as the largest capacity that I have been able to find was three physical HDD's, from either Sager, or ADK. Four, physical HDD's is even better! My workstation has 8 physical HDD's, and two of those are RAID 0 arrays, with 2 HDD's / array.

Because of the way that things were written, I was concerned that you had partitioned one physical HDD into four logical HDD's, but I had nothing to worry about. Ignore that Partitions article, as it will not apply.

To verify exactly what you have, go to Windows Disk Management and check things out there. You should also be able to gather the details from Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, and see how many physical HDD's you have.

With most laptops, the only choice is one physical HDD. A few mfgrs. offer two, and only two, that I have found, offer three. I have yet to find a laptop offering four physical HDD's, but that does not mean that some producer is not offering such. Back when I bought my Sager, the best I/O that I could find was 3x 200GB SATA II's, but now Sager and ADK offer 3x 500GB SATA II's, and when I make the final decison between those two, that is what I will go with - unless I can find some mfgr., who offers a 4x setup.

Here's a look at my Device Manager display:

Device_Manager.png

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How to allocate the processes to various drives?
                        ClissaT Level 1

OK well I was half misled! There are 2 physical hard drives. Meaning I guess each has 2 partitions. mmmm

Still got me stumped what that error message means. Does it mean it couldn't access the second file in the timeline or that the destination file is unavailable.

• 9. Re: How to allocate the processes to various drives?

There's no reason to partition drives anymore. In fact, it can be counter-productive, since it gives your operating system smaller blocks of space to work with.

Additionally, check these drives to see that they're formatted NTFS. They come from the factory as FAT32. FAT32 have a file size limit that can frequently choke video work and DVD production.

Though, as I said earlier, the video you're using as your source video could also be corrupting the process. To test this, go to Share/Computer/AVI and see if you can create a DV-AVI of your project.

• 10. Re: How to allocate the processes to various drives?
                            ClissaT Level 1

Well Steve I am VERY happy wth the AVI file movie you asked me to produce. It is at least as good as I was thinking it could be if I do say so myself.

Only took 6mins to render the 17min movie. I played it full screen & the quality is as good as can be expected I think.

All those years of making horse training videos on WMM & uploading to youtube & then the months of heart ache & hand wringing learning this PrE have paid off although a pro might think otherwise.

Although making the other 2 movies in the set might not be so easy since I MAY have lost the internal arty thread that must be acted on when it strikes. Any artist will know what I'm talking about.

So Steve, can I use that AVI file or do I still have to go back to the PrE file & do something different to turn it into a DVD?

I did try to save this file to the E drive but the presets within PrE wouldn't let me or maybe this new PC has some presets I haven't discovered yet. Perhaps thats why the process failed yesterday. It couldn't find the file location I had prescribed. The AVI file isn't such a big file so maybe I will just save the DVD file in the C drive location & worry about learning about the other drives at some other time.

Thanks Steve for furturing my PrE education.

• 11. Re: How to allocate the processes to various drives?

Now that you've created a "pure" DV-AVI, open a new project (set up for DV) and place it on the timeline.

Add a DVD menu and scene markers and burn your DVD (or, better, burn your DVD files to a folder on your hard drive).

Because you're giving the program a finished file, all it needs to do is convert it to DVD files. So it should go with no problem!

• 12. Re: How to allocate the processes to various drives?
                                ClissaT Level 1

Steve should I create the other 2 movies in the series first then put all 3 DV-AVI files into the new timeline & make my DVD?

Or is that asking too much of both software & PC?

• 13. Re: How to allocate the processes to various drives?
                                  nealeh Level 5

ClissaT wrote:

Steve should I create the other 2 movies in the series first then put all 3 DV-AVI files into the new timeline & make my DVD?

If they're all intended for one DVD that is the best method (PRE just loves DV-AVI and gives the sweetest editing experience). Just be sure that you have adequate disk space. DV-AVI runs at around 11 - 13GB per hour.

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children