5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2011 2:51 PM by the_wine_snob

PE7 Transcoding Error with Disk Menus

dasf902erfcva

Hello all -

I'm sure this is a tired question.  I have read many threads dealing with transcoding errors, but I can't find one that is exactly like mine.

I have a 40 minute project.

This project contains a wild variety of content.....some M2T HD video, some standared defintion video, some fairly high desnity stills some medium and some low density stills.

The amazing thing to me is that PE7 spits me out an auto-play DVD very nicely and it looks great.

But the second I attempt to add a disk menu, I get a transcoding error right out of the gate.

I have only added 1 Main Menu marker and a Stop marker and I get transcoding error even before I get past 0% Encoding Media.

My project preset was NTSC-HDV-HDV1080i 30.

Any ideas?

Thanks

MIke

• 1. Re: PE7 Transcoding Error with Disk Menus
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

unfortunately, you have posted to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, which is a repository for, well "tips & tricks," for getting Premiere working, or doing something with a specific workflow. Maybe our tireless MOD, Steve Grisetti, will move this out to the main forum, where more folk will see it.

Now, PrE is not designed to work with mixed Assets, like PrPro CS 5 and 5.5 are. It does not work well, with anything, that does not match a particular Project Preset, and problems almost always arise. The best solution is to either convert all different Assets to a common spec., or to do separate Projects, with the appropriate Presets, and then Export/Share, to include into a new, "master Project," that matches all of those various formats, once they have been edited, and Exported/Shared.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE7 Transcoding Error with Disk Menus
            dasf902erfcva Level 1

Thanks for the response, Bill and sorry for posting to the wrong forum.

I guess I have chosen the wrong tool.

I appreciate your recommendation, but it isn't really feasible - and it seems to me that surely folks are wanting to do what I am doing.

It's a fairly simple tribute to the Seniors on a High School Football team.

The media consists of highlight footage from 2 different cameras (1 HD and one not), photos taken from the field, still photos from their youth which were scanned in with a scanner - and other images provided by parents in various formats and densitys.

I guess I should be thankful that I have an Auto-Play that I can use at the banquet.

I'm about ready for both a hardware and software upgrade......what would be your recommendation on the software side if the above is my typical type of project?

Thank you

MIke

• 3. Re: PE7 Transcoding Error with Disk Menus
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Sorry for the bad news. PrE's target audience is the general consumer, with one video camera in the family, and with most of those, it works fine.

The workaround for mixing Source Footage is not really that difficult, but does take a bit of time, as one would first set up a Project that matches each Source Footage, and do a rough edit for each. Then, a choice would need to be made about the final delivery of the "master Project." Once that is set, the user would go back to the individual Projects, and Export/Share to the format in that master Project, where the final edit, and output would take place.

Now, one might have luck (but there can be problems, as well), by choosing a Project Preset for the most common footage, and then Importing, and adjusting the other, mixed footages. For instance, one can use the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale to enlarge, or reduce footage, that does not match. If up-rezzing SD material, the quality WILL suffer, and it might be better to use a plug-in, like Red Giant's InstantHD.

I cannot tell you how well, or poorly, some other consumer oriented NLE programs, like CyberLink's PowerDirector, Magix MovieEdit Pro, or some of Sony's Vegas products, handle mixed footage. I believe that each has a trial version, and that would be my route, if I did not have PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE7 Transcoding Error with Disk Menus
                dasf902erfcva Level 1

Bill -

Perhaps this is not an appropriate question for this place, but if I were planning to buy some new hardware....and if I were planning to go 64 bit....and if I were willing to pay for CS5....Is that what you would recommend?  I know there are a million and one considerations.  One of them for me is that I am very used to the PrE interface and I did try the CS5 trial at one time and found it to be the same or very similar.  But in general....is that where you would go?

Thanks

Mike

• 5. Re: PE7 Transcoding Error with Disk Menus
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Personally, I think that PrPro is great, and has gotten even better with CS 5.5.

For some general recs. on a new computer for video editing, this ARTICLE will get you started. When you have things narrowed down a bit, there is also a link to the Hardware Forum, and plenty of top hardware gurus hang out there. They can answer any question that you can come up with.

Good luck,

Hunt