5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2011 6:45 AM by the_wine_snob

A couple of questions

APENovice

Hello everyone,

First off, I'd like thank those of you ahead who will be able to help me with my difficulties.

Ok, then...

Now, my first question:

How do I use my own custom menu?

I made one off of one of the templates the program offers you. My problem, though, is that I just don't know how to use it on my dvd.

My second question:

Is it possible to put a video before the actual dvd?

You know, like the trailers most movies announce before beginning their own [movie].

I hope that's not too confusing.

My third question:

This one is probably really stupid, but I'd rather ask then keep the question in my mind and never know the definite answer.

Is there any way I can enhance my video's quality using APE9?

Once again, Thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: A couple of questions
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

1) You can customize your menu in a number of ways -- including swapping in a new background or background video, changing the fonts and moving where the scene links appear on the menu page -- in the Disc Layout workspace.

2) You can not add video before the menu in Premiere Elements. Many people supplement the program with a dedicated disc authoring program (like DVD Architect Studio, a $39 download from Sony Creative Software) which does include this and a number of other more powerful disc authoring features.

3) I don't know what you mean by enhancing a video's quality. You can improve its contrast and brightness and adjust its colors. Is that what you mean? But your video can't really look better (in terms of clarity or resolution) when you output than the original video. That would take magic.

Meantime, if you're looking for a basic understanding of the program, you should check out my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

And if you want answers to all of your questions and more, with step by step instructions and illustrations, you can check out my books.

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

This is not a program you want to sink a lot of time into before you know what you're doing. Without  understanding the basics, you can put a lot of work into a project -- only to find you need to start over again because you didn't do the basic set-up right.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: A couple of questions
            APENovice Level 1

Thanks! But how do I actually use the custom disc menus?

I used photoshop to change the background and colors of the buttons. Now I just don't know how to load the menu onto the project

• 3. Re: A couple of questions
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For using "custom" Menu Sets in PrE, you might want to see the comments in this THREAD.

For the Play First, as Steve mentions, no, that cannot be done PrE, and must be done in another authoring program, like Adobe Encore (available ONLY with PrPro now), or Sony's DVD Architect. PrE's authoring function is limited, though works well for general authoring, and semi-automatically.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: A couple of questions
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you asking how do you customize a menu or are you asking how do you install a new menu template into the program?

• 5. Re: A couple of questions
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You will need to have first created your new Menu Sets with all of the proper conventions, including the naming conventions. While you can use the Menus, without a preview (PNG file), things go better if you also create PNG's, just like the ones in the Library. Use one of those as your guide, and size your PNG preview exactly the same way. If you have any other Assets, such as Audio, or Video (Motion Background), gather those up too. Then, create a new Custom folder. and place it in the Library folder hierarchy. Mine was Hunt, and below it, I created a Christmas sub-folder. All of the Menu Set PSD's, PNG's, etc. are placed inside that.

Now, back in PrE, just use the Menu drop-down, to navigate to your custom folder(s), and when you get to the right sub-folder, you should see your previews (those PNG files), in the Menu Display Panel.

My folder structure in PrE 4.0 on XP-Pro SP3. Other versions of PrE might have slightly different folder structures, so check carefully:

Menu_Sets_PrE.png

Good luck,

Hunt