2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2011 9:33 PM by hayotor

Collapsing a masks transform settings

hayotor

So I have an Adjustment layer with a mask and I've adjusted it's position/scale/rotation with the transform settings and I want to copy the mask to another layer and of course when I do this the mask goes to the shape it was before the transform settings were applied, if I copy both the mask and the transform settings the transform settings mess up the layer they are copied onto and while I know there are longer ways around this I wanted to know if there was a way to simply collapse the current transform settings into a mask so that the mask would stay as it is with the transform settings reset.

• 1. Re: Collapsing a masks transform settings
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Masks are based on layer size not scale so the behavior you describe is expected.

There a couple of things you can do.

First, I'd modify the workflow and instead of scaling your adjustment layer with it's mask I'd animate the mask path or adjust the mask path. If that's not practical you can duplicate the adjustment layer, remove the effects, turn off the Adjustment Layer switch, then use the copy as a track matte for your other layer.

The other option would be to use Layer>Auto Trace to generate a new solid layer with a mask. This mask can then be used as a track matte or the new mask copied and pasted to another layer.

• 2. Re: Collapsing a masks transform settings
            hayotor Level 1

Great thanks! I was hoping there would be a way to collapse transform like...blending options in photoshop, but this works.