6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2006 4:44 PM by likn

alberthd@live.com
      I am totally new to Flex is there a good book, video tutorial, step by step guide to help me. I check the book that is on the adobe store by Steven Webster and Alistair McLeod but before I buy I did my own search in other places for ratings and comments and the comments are no good at all. Is there anything that can keep me busy learning and practicing.

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Newbie
          Level 7
          Kovnat escribi�:
          > I am totally new to Flex is there a good book, video tutorial, step by step
          > guide to help me. I check the book that is on the adobe store by Steven
          > Webster and Alistair McLeod but before I buy I did my own search in other
          > places for ratings and comments and the comments are no good at all. Is there
          > anything that can keep me busy learning and practicing.
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          >
          I think Adobe manuals and tutorials are good, but forums and blogs are a
          must view every day.

• 2. Re: Newbie
            alberthd@live.com Level 1
            I think Adobe manuals and tutorials are good, but forums and blogs are a
            must view every day.
            I understand that part, but someone in school told me that I need to have knowledge on ActionScript Language to be able to use Flex because is needed.

• 3. Re: Newbie
              Level 7
              Kovnat escribi�:
              > I think Adobe manuals and tutorials are good, but forums and blogs are a
              > must view every day.
              > I understand that part, but someone in school told me that I need to have
              > knowledge on ActionScript Language to be able to use Flex because is needed.
              >
              >
              >
              >
              Well, i did never used Flash and never write a line of ActionScript i'm
              new to Flex/ActionScript too like you, but i have solid knowledge of
              Javascript, it's not comparable but the basic language is tha same.
              Maybe you want to learn the basis of Javascript and then jump to
              Actionscript, but I supose there are good books of Actionscript and free
              tutorials. Think all languages have variables, control sentences, loops,
              functions,... so take a look to these basis and you'll have the half
              of the "fly" done.
              Dont know if this answer to your question.

• 4. Re: Newbie
                Vision Airlines
                This a great place to start for a video How To, though it does have a fee:

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modListing.asp?pid=205

I think it's worth it. Also, the people over at totaltraining have a good DVD out for purchase:

http://www.totaltraining.com/prod/adobe/flex2_ria.asp

I've purchased both and it really is a nice supliment to all the forums and all of Adobe's examples.

Hope this helps.
                • 5. Re: Newbie
                  davidmedifit Level 1
                  I would recommend the video by James Talbot. I was at a training class of his, and he did a great job. He taught best practices also, which can sometimes be the hard part to grasp.

David
                  • 6. Re: Newbie
                    likn
                    http://flex.org/

Has links to books upcoming (bottom right hand-side of the site)