3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2011 4:39 AM by Peter Spier

Data Merge Problem - preview different to end result

Dsl0028 Level 1

I'm trying to create a catalogue using data merge. When previewing - everything appears fine.

[IMG]http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/8882/picture2bfh.png[/IMG]

But when I click OK - pages appear which are totally different to the preview.

[IMG]http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7776/picture1iqk.png[/IMG]

What am I doing wrong? Thankyou

• 1. Re: Data Merge Problem - preview different to end result
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

What I think we see here is that you have placed your records and fields 20 times on the page? Also seen is an empty graphics frame (as large as the page(?)) . (Delete that also.)

Delete EVERYTHING except the first record(s) and necesary frames in the top left of the document.(Record one <Action Violence...>, <118>)

You will need to set columns and spacing at the Data Merge > Multiple Records tab. Consider eliminating the columns or the space between columns; as you have it right now, it will be a hurdle on spacing.

• 2. Re: Data Merge Problem - preview different to end result
            Dsl0028 Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I think I've found a workaround. Originally I created everything on a master page including the data merge fields. I've left the lines and text etc on the master page and put the data merge fields on a new page. This seems to work but its too time consuming to try to place lines between images so I'll just put up without a bounding box.

• 3. Re: Data Merge Problem - preview different to end result
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

We've seen a few reports here of what I think is a bug in Data Merge in CS5 involving preview.

If you preview everything looks fine, but if you the go directly to the merge records are shuffled, or you get the same record on a page for a multi-record merge, even when things are set correctly. There are two ways to work around this that I know: Take a leap of faith and don't preview -- just go straight to the merge, or after you preview, hit Cmd (Ctrl on Windows) + Z to undo before hitting ht emerge button, which amouints to the same thing, but lets you do the preview for piece of mind.

Wahtever the problem is, it seems to be triggered by the preview action.