4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2011 11:13 PM by MehulJSheth

How read pdf data in C#?

MehulJSheth

Hi,

Is there any way to read pdf data in C#. The application i am working on demands to preserve the layout, formatting from the source and just change the content if required. Is there any open source or commercial API which i can use.

Thanks,

Mehul

• 1. Re: How read pdf data in C#?
          gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Have you looked at the Acrobat SDK?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How read pdf data in C#?
            MehulJSheth Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I dint go through Acrobat SDK before. There are are actually two vesrions of it. Acrobat X SDK and Acrobat 9.1 SDK. I juste wanted to know which one can be better to deal with PDF because there is something called PDF Library SDK also. As what i know PDF Library SDK is not freely available and in FAQ they've mentioned that even there is no evaluation version of it. So how can we find out whether it fits to the criteria we want to deal with. If there is any SDK which they are providing for evaluation purspose so that i can check it once and may go for commercial version if it satisfies our criteria. Also it would be good if you can help to get me few sample codes along with it just to start with in case of any.

My application demands to deal with only PDF where i have to read entire PDF along with their formatting and structure information. Change the read data and create a target document with same layout, fomat and structure to that of the source document while replacing modified data. Is it possible with any of the SDK mentioned above as i am new to this i don't have much knowledge of it.

Thanks,

Mehul

• 3. Re: How read pdf data in C#?
              Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The Acrobat SDK is designed to allow developers to do two things:

1. Write plugins for Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader using C++
              2. Control Acrobat from external applications (via IAC)

It will not do anything without Acrobat and/or Reader installed, so as a standalone way to read or modify PDF files it's of no use.

The Adobe PDF LIbrary is a standalone set of tools to work with PDF files (so Acrobat is not required) and it can be operated from a server, unlike Acrobat.

If you have questions relating to the SDKs, please posts them in the Acrobat SDK forum rather than here.

Having said that, the PDF file format is an open standard based on COS objects - depending on what precisely you are trying to do, it may be just as easy to parse the files yourself. Rendering PDFs to screen is a very complex task but creating/editing them isn't - things only tend to become difficult when you involve encryption.

• 4. Re: How read pdf data in C#?
                MehulJSheth Level 1

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I've already posted my query on Acrobar SDK forum but it would be good if you can explain last para a bit more. As what you mentioed, it's easy to create/edit pdf rarher than rendering PDFs to screen. Any idea on how can i edit PDF programmatically because i am using C# and so far i couldn't find any API that deals with PDF in such a way that it allows me to edit PDF at the same time it preserves original layout, formatting etc. It would be good if you can help me with this.

Thanks,

Mehul