21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 3:08 PM by holbrookp

Blank opening workspace

holbrookp Level 1

Anytime software I depend on exhibits a glitch on a regular basis, I get a little antsy that something may be wrong that'll develop into something worse. That's why I'm asking for help on this one.

When Premiere Elements 10 now opens, the workspace is blank -- no timeline, edit tools, playback viewer, etc. Nothing. The toolbar at the very top of the page is there but nothing else. Starting a new project doesn't bring everything into view. Only loading in a project will load all the tools, timeline, etc. as they should.

If I start a new project while an existing project is loaded, the new one has just the blank workspace. My workaround is to create a new project by taking an existing one, deleting what I don't want and then adding new project files and saving it under a new name. With the exception of the rendering of movie themes/Instantmovies failing to display all their content, the program seems to be working fine otherwise! (I have a separate thread about the missing themes content.)

Any idea on what's going wrong? Is this minor or a cause for alarm?

Would it make any difference that I'm using a portable hard drive to load and save projects?

• 1. Re: Blank opening workspace
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Hard to say. You really haven't given us any information about your computer -- its operating system, its RAM, your monitor resolution, how much free, clean defragemented space is on your hard drive.

You also haven't said if you've ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program requirements. Or if you've gone to the nVidia or ATI web site and downloaded the latest drivers for your video card.

The best way to test if the issue is being caused by saving your project to an external hard drive is to save a project to your main or C drive and see if it's still an issue when you open that project.

• 2. Re: Blank opening workspace
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree completely with Steve. With any GUI display problem, the first thing that I do is update my video driver from the mfgr's. Web site. If I had a Dell, or HP, I'd start with their sites.

What is the make/model of your video card/chip?

What is the currently installed video driver, version/date?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Blank opening workspace
              holbrookp Level 1

Steve: First of all, let me thank you for writing your two books on Premiere Elements. I got The Muvipix.com Guide yesterday and today Tips & Tricks arrived, though I haven't even opened the box yet! I spent some time with The Muvipix.com Guide last night and have already learned a lot I didn't know! It's everything I hoped it would be.

My computer is a Toshiba Satellite L505 with Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel Core i3 CPU, 64 bit, 4 gigs of RAM, MM3 @ 2.13 GHz, 23 gigs of defragmented hard drive space on C and a portable Seagate drive with over 500 gigs of free space. Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD. Monitor resolution is 1366x768. The display adaptor driver, dated 10/30/2009, is reported to be up-to-date on the Toshiba site. Quicktime is up-to-date.

There's no problem using existing projects or beginning new ones within existing ones and saving/opening them under a new name, only when I try to start one from scratch.

Thanks, Steve & Bill, for your help.

• 4. Re: Blank opening workspace

That laptop has a 15" screen. Even at 1366x768, it might be a bit small for the full interface, and that could be part of the problem. Especially if you aren't using the screen at its full resolution.

I'm a little concerned about your graphics driver being from 10/30/2009. That's only a week after Windows 7 was introduced. Unfortunately, working through the options on this page, I can't find a driver for Windows 7 64-bit.

Anyway, this automatic updater may help you.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics?

One thing that might be worth trying, if you have a full-size 19" (or even 17") monitor lying around is to plug it into your laptop and see if you have the same problems when viewing it on a bigger screen. That would tell you if it was a resolution issue.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Blank opening workspace
                  holbrookp Level 1

Thanks for the help. I'm using the computer at full resolution. And the program just developed this problem in the past few days.

Here's the message I got from the link you sent:

"A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer."

• 6. Re: Blank opening workspace

Might be worth going to Windows Update and manually downloading any non-critical updates. (The critical ones come in automatically.) And making sure you have the latest version of Quicktime.

I assume you still have a hundred or so gigs of free space on  your hard drive and that you've got it freshly defragged.

• 7. Re: Blank opening workspace
                      holbrookp Level 1

Thanks again. I've done all that with critical Windows updates, etc. But 23 gigs of free space on the hard drive. I don't use it more than I have to, just the Seagate portable, which has over 500 free gigs of space left. Both drives are defragged.

• 8. Re: Blank opening workspace
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

With a Toshiba, I have a very bad feeling about the video display. Do you know the mfgr. of the graphics chip used, say nVidia? In Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, you should be able to find out the chip mfgr., the model of the chip, and then the driver installed. That could be useful info.

If it is an ATI/AMD, or nVidia chip, then a 2009 driver is probably almost 30 versions out of date.

Now, my "bad feeling" comes from having owned a Toshiba Satellite w/ an nVidia chip (forget the model now), and Toshiba re-wrote the driver, so that the nVidia updated drivers would not install. In the five years that I used that laptop, Toshiba never issued an update, while nVidia had dozens of updates for that chip. I ended up having to "roll my own," and used this Web Site. About a year ago, just for grins, I checked with Toshiba, and four years after that computer was replaced, they had still never updated the driver. Lucky that I could download the nVidia drivers, and then tweak and re-wrap them, so that they would install on the Toshiba. I was horribly disappointed with Toshiba Support. I think that I still have three service questions open, and it's been over 8 years, with no response.

Good luck, and I hope that I am wrong.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Blank opening workspace
                          holbrookp Level 1

The chip is an Intel Media Accelerator HD. That's what I found under "Display Adaptors" in the Device Manager. This is what you're asking for, isn't it? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks for the website link. I don't know how to go about searching for a driver that could be used. I'm lost a couple of computers over the years by making such tweaks without knowing what I was doing.

• 10. Re: Blank opening workspace
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Intel, huh? Intel makes really good chips, but have never had even acceptable driver support. It just might end up that the laptop will never function with PrE.

Good luck, and hope that others have something useful, and also good news.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Blank opening workspace
                              holbrookp Level 1

"It just might end up that the laptop will never function with PrE."

Wha??!! You tell me that now, on this day when I finally have received Steve Grisetti's books and I'm ready to rumble with this program!? ACK!

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Blank opening workspace
                                nealeh Level 5

The Intel website has a driver checker - a good place for you to start: Driver Update Utility.

Or you can search their driver section:  http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22Intel+Media+Accelera tor+HD%22. This shows a driver dated 27 October 2011.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 13. Re: Blank opening workspace
                                  holbrookp Level 1

Thanks, Neale, but I ran the driver utility and this is the message I got:

"A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer."

So I need to contact Toshiba...

• 14. Re: Blank opening workspace
                                    nealeh Level 5

Well at least you know for sure now. I'd still be inclined to make a System Restore point and try the generic driver anyway. All depends on how confident you are about starting in safe mode and restoring from that restore point should anything go wrong.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

• 15. Re: Blank opening workspace
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

That was what I got, when I first tried to update my Toshiba nVidia driver. That was also one of my contacts with Toshiba T/S, and in ~ 9 years, they still have not gotten back to me. That is also one reason that when my old Toshiba Satellite died, I never even bothered to see what they were offering. I just went elsewhere, and never looked back, except to see that they have not responded to any of my cases, which I assume must still be open?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Blank opening workspace
                                        holbrookp Level 1

I wonder what kind of "technical issues" will I encounter if I try to install that new driver in safe mode. Would it possibly wreck the whole computer? Would I be able to reverse it and install the old driver without any permanent damage?

• 17. Re: Blank opening workspace
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Before you make that attempt, create a System Restore Point for NOW. Do this manually. Then, if things go very wrong, just boot to Safe Mode and choose today's System Restore Point.

Actually, this is a good idea, prior to installing software, or making any major changes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Blank opening workspace
                                            nealeh Level 5

holbrookp wrote:

I wonder what kind of "technical issues" will I encounter if I try to install that new driver in safe mode

It is unlikely you will need to go into safe mode:

• You shouldn't be in Safe Mode when you install the driver.
                                            • If the newly installed driver worked, but didn't help much, you can be in normal mode to restore from the restore point.
                                            • Only if the driver didn't work at all and wouldn't let you into Windows would you need to startup in Safe Mode to restore the from the restore point.

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale

• 19. Re: Blank opening workspace
                                              holbrookp Level 1

Now the program boots once in a while with the workspace looking as it should. And when it boots and gives me the default .prel name for the project, I can simply add a single letter or number to that title and the workspace will look fine when it loads! So apparently this is a minor glitch not needing any risky driver installations in safe mode? I can live with the glitch if it doesn't get any worse.

• 20. Re: Blank opening workspace
                                                nealeh Level 5

Glad you found a workaround. If you do choose to update drivers note my earlier comment - you do it in normal mode, NOT Safe mode (I don't think windows will even let you install a driver in Safe mode).

Cheers,
                                                --
                                                Neale

• 21. Re: Blank opening workspace
                                                  holbrookp Level 1

Thanks, Nealeh, but Windows 7 wouldn't allow me to install the driver discussed above. It just said, "A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer."

There was no option to proceed with the insntallation. So if I can't do it in safe mode, as you say, then I guess I won't be able to do it at all.