1 2 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 8:57 PM by ProDesignTools

Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All

[Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Just received a phone call from an Adobe representative, asking why our office didn't upgrade en masse from CS4 to either CS5 or CS5.5. (Our answer was of course "we didn't like the new features & we're happy to stick to CS4 until something better comes along.") She warned us, though, that Adobe's long-standing policy of allowing a two-version spanning upgrade is about to change, and to qualify for the as-yet hypothetical CS6 we need to upgrade our site license first.

Add your opinion below, please.

• 1. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

While I'm not a member, I wanted to link to a letter to Adobe just posted by Scott Kelby, president of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals, 70,000 members strong. He's asking Adobe to slow down this policy, at least, so people can better prepare for the transition:

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2011/archives/22903

His suggestion (talking about Photoshop, but equally relevant to InDesign):

"If you really want to be fair to your customers, at the very least don’t start this policy yet. Start it with Photoshop CS7. Make CS6 your new upgrade pricing transition version, and tell everybody now, up front—–at the start of the product’s life cycle, that everybody will need to upgrade to CS6 at some point because the next version (CS7) won’t support older users. That way, we’re not spending money just to spend more money again. Adobe, you can still have what you want—-you can still get everybody on the current version, but it gives us time to save, time to plan, and anybody still left behind at that point will have had more than fair warning.

"Another option I feel would be very fair to Adobe customers would be to offer a tiered upgrade which rewards your best customers (customers who upgraded to CS5 or 5.5) by giving them the best upgrade deal, but then offer CS4 users a reasonable upgrade path (they would pay more for their upgrade, but they’re getting all the features added in CS5.5 as well, so that’s fair) and then why not even offer an upgrade path to CS6 for your CS3 users? They would certainly wind up paying the most in upgrade fees, but at least it wouldn’t be the full $699 (or even more if they’re on the CS3 suite). This tiered approach gives everybody an opportunity to stay on as an Adobe customer, but still gives your best customers preferential upgrade pricing."

• 2. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think without knowing the additions to CS6 it's impossible to commit to an upgrade. Although if you don't upgrade you will have to buy the complete package at the full price.

I think people would rather stick to what they have rather than be forced into a double upgrade policy.

I cannot see why Adobe are doing this? It's ridiculous.

Why not allow someone to upgrade from CS3 or CS4 to CS6 at a slightly increased rate?

Shooting themselves in the foot and pissing people off is wha they are doing.

• 3. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I posted about this the other day as part of the topic on the new cloud-based program. I think this is at least partly aimed at getting as many users as possible to switch from perpetual licensing to Creative Cloud subscriptions. Frankly, for print folks, like you, I think this is a big dilemma. We have no way of knowing if the things you will want (better footnotes and tables, and improved Word import, for example) will make it into CS6, or enough of them to make an upgrade worthwhile, when all recent evidence seems to indicate that Adobe is shifting focus toward online communication. Do you upgrade now, and continue to spend money, in hopes that "next time" you'll get a version that has a multi-year usable life, like CS4, and then stop? Do you stop now at CS4 and wait, then buy a subscription to the cloud? Will you be able to buy a volume license, at all, for CS7 or CS8 if they are finally what you were waiting for, or will you be stuck with a subscription-only model in five years?

Pretty hard to see what's going on on the other side of that cloud.

• 4. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                Grant H Level 4

that would be madness: make it a different price (within reason) acceptable... or a lot of us in the future wont upgrade for many years..

• 5. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All

Exactly. I cannot see us upgrading to CS5.5 because it hasn't got the features we desire.

On that note, I can't see us upgrading to CS6 if we have to pay full price.

Basically we'll stick with what we have.

• 6. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                    David W. Goodrich Level 3
                    Pretty hard to see what's going on on the other side of that cloud.

Wikipedia puts it this way: "Fear, uncertainty and doubt, frequently abbreviated as FUD, is a tactic used in sales, marketing, public relations,politics and propaganda."

David

• 7. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                      Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CNET has now posted about Scott Kelby's letter so I expect that this will virally spread through the Internet today:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-57329264-264/adobes-new-pricing-plan-ouch-users-say/

• 8. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Until you realize that you can’t go on designing for print forever. And that’s where the newer versions will be a necessity.

Bob

• 9. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                          Grant H Level 4

oh dear: ... reminds me of a little quote...

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely

adobe needs a strong competitor

• 10. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Bob Levine wrote:

Until you realize that you can’t go on designing for print forever. And that’s where the newer versions will be a necessity.

I don't make books for print because I want to. It's what our clients ask. I doubt they'd appreciate our firm as much as they usually do if we turned them away at the door, screaming "Dead Tree Hugger! Luddite!" and throwing iPads at them.

• 11. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All

It's forcing people to upgrade when they have no need right now. Yeh sure in the future they may need to do more online material.

I should only have to think about upgrading then. Right now I'm being strongarmed into upgrading to a package I don't actually need.

• 12. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It’s painfully obvious (at least to me)  Adobe doesn’t want to sell perpetual licenses anymore and/or doesn’t want to deal with 3 or 4 SKUs for every product.

In the end, they want everyone to be a “loyal customer.” It’s a risky move, no doubt and only time will tell whether it was a good idea.

Bob

• 13. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All

I totally agree. But moving a bit fast and asking people to commit where they can't possibly make that decision because they have no information to go on.

Right now, they are strongarming people into upgrading, which is not fair.

I think it should be as Scott put it, start working towards getting everyone upgraded to the latest. But doing it for CS6 is too soon.

If they made this announcement when CS5.5 was being released, then fair enough.

I think they should be offering CS2, CS3, CS4 users the opportunity to upgrade to CS6 right now, and a cost and tell them if you don't upgrade to CS6 right now, then for CS7 you will have to pay full price.

Let's say I have Design Premium Standard CS3 - updgrade price = €845 to CS5.5

So then when I pay this fee of €845 I have to upgrade again to CS6?

Going on CS4 upgrade price that's another €545

= €1,390

The full Price of CS5.5 Design Premium Standard is €1,571 (I can only imagine CS6 will be this price? Perhaps dearer?)

That is only a savings of €181.

I'd rather wait until CS6 comes out and pay the full price? Or even CS7?

Because another upgrade from CS6 to CS7 would be roughly €545.

I am actually better off waiting for CS7 to come along.

In the meantime I have the subscription option should I need CS6 for any specific online tasks.

• 14. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                    John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

adobe needs a strong competitor

Well in terms of InDesign, there's Quark (are they still viewed as competitive?).

As for the rest of the Suite, there used to be an excellent one until 2005 called Macromedia which had a loyal and dedicated userbase to match Adobe's. I was one.

Then Adobe was permitted to 'acquire' them.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Web-Services-Web-20-and-SOA/Will-AdobeMacromedia-Deal-Kill-Compet ition/

I think we always knew the answer. Now we're living it.

• 15. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                      MT.Freelance Level 4

Perhaps a letter such as:

"Dear Quark, I find your pricing and upgrade change to be reminiscent of the time you released Quark XPress 5... Oh, sorry, I mean, Dear Adobe, I find your pricing and upgrade change to be reminiscent of the time Quark released QuarkXPress 5..."

Anyone else received email solicitations from Quark regarding upgrading to Quark 9 from ANY prior version? Brilliant marketing move, there. Perhaps disgruntled InDesign users may jump ship back to Quark using their Quark license that they abandoned when switching to InDesign...

Don't know if it woudl actually be worth it to do so, myself. But, as a part-time freelance designer with a limited wallet, this policy is going to hurt. So, it won't matter what new and fancy features come out, I will likley not be able to take advantage of them. My finances already are preventing me from upgrading my Web Suite from CS4 to CS5.5. I was planning on saving for an upgrade to CS6 for the suite and my stand-alone InDesign.  Now, I can put that money towards other things, because I will not be able to afford a full new license.

I do not like the 'rent-an-app' cloud approach. Also, the pricing is only for the first HALF of 2012. That implies to me that the premium for the priveledge of using the app will jump higher as time goes on.

So, Adobe is creating the MMODTP suite (Massively Multiuser Online DigiTal Publishing).

This, to me, is not a good thing.

>_<

• 16. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                        Stix Hart Level 5

[Jongware] wrote:

...throwing iPads at them.

Funniest thing yet... 

I can't see Adobe ignoring Scott Kelby, he must represent one of the if not the biggest userbases of Adobe's product.  And what he's saying is totally reasonable too.

• 17. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                          John Hawkinson Level 5

From what I have heard, the next version to follow CS6 is likely to be CS6.5, not CS7. Something to keep in mind.

• 18. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                            AdobeScripts Level 3

I'm not defending Adobe, but like Eugene calculated it already - people who are working now on CS4 - have already saved half of the full price of the CS6 - not buying upgrade to CS5/CS5.5 ...

So when they buy CS6 for the full price - they will pay the same price as people buying upgrades from version to version.

People still working on CS3 - have already saved even more.

So why there is a problem ?

• 19. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Robert:
                                              not exactly taking into account that there is (was ???) a grace period when you can upgrade to the latest version and get the previous version for free.

Uwe

• 20. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                                Grant H Level 4

bottom line is this: No one likes to be ripped off and if users start to feel that way then who knows.... spare a thought for non USA users, we (country dependent) pay as much as 50% more for adobe products. ...

G

• 21. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm sure Robert, who is in Poland, knows all about the price differential. I don't know if I agree with his assesment, but from a percentage cost standpoint, the dollar (or Euro) amounts don't matter, it's the relative cost of upgrading vs. not upgrading for whatever tier you happen to be in.

• 22. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                                    AdobeScripts Level 3

Here is another good example of what is going on with Adobe

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2011/11/19/peggy-noonan-on-steve-jobs-and-why-big -companies-die/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Just replace "Microsoft" with "Adobe"

They are "milking the cash cow" instead of improving the product - more bugs and fancy "features" - instead of usefull features.

• 23. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                                      AdobeScripts Level 3

I think it was other way - you can buy "current" version and get free upgrade to "incoming" version.

• 24. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                                        tonyharmer Level 3

I don't want to rattle anyones cage here but I do think it's worth a mention...

Look at some of the features that Adobe have given us each and every release - they may not be exactly what you are after exclusively, but just imagine the diversity of users out there. All of these things make us money and we should be able to factor in these costs as part of our business plans (btw I think the comparison to Microsoft with their largely 'toy' Office products is really, really unfair).

Just imagine for a moment how much research and development goes into these things, and if you were paying for that, surely you'd want a return on your investment as soon as you could? Also, bear in mind that a lot of their technologies (just like any software company, presumably) doesn't always make it to market - these costs have to be recovered also. They do not just dream up these things - features are introduced directly as a result of interaction with the user community, and requests made from thast community.

IMHO:

Adobe give us the best tools in the world to do our jobs, and despite what you may have read they are trying to make it easier to legally obtain, maintain and use these tools. This is a fast moving industry - they have to be able to respond to the twists and turns of the publishing revolution 3.0, and we have to be ready to adapt also - so much easier when we have the right tools exactly when we need them.

• 25. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                                          AdobeScripts Level 3

Tony, How long do you use InDesign ? From which version ?

And when I was referring to article about Microsoft - it was about the way to run bussines and care for customers - not to compare the products.

• 26. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                                            tonyharmer Level 3

Hi Robert

Using InDesign since version 1, and I know how your comparison was intended - my mention of that was that in relaive terms, Adobe give their users much, much more than Microsoft.

I'm still waiting to see the corporation that is going to going to get it 100% right, for everyone, 100% of the time.

• 27. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                                              AdobeScripts Level 3

Tony, CS1 or ID 1.0.x ?

I'm not sure how many functions do you use and how often you are pissed off with bugs in InDesign, but I think Microsoft have much better customer care and pay more attention to test their products - before they are published - than Adobe ...

There is plenty of feature requests that are reported by DTP guys - but Adobe prefer to implement demoeffects which are often bugged and/or useless.

• 28. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                                                tonyharmer Level 3

Hi (again) Robert

Not that it should matter, and I am somewhat curious as to why it interests you so much but just to clarify, I meant Version 1.0 (K2).

I use most of the features in my job, although i don't use too masny long document features too often. I have worked with print since before DTP existed and I have over recent years branched out into digital streams, including ePub and DPS.

• 29. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                                                  AlReeev Level 1

Two points, really:

1. As a hobbyist and newsletter editor, I went from PageMaker to InDesign 2.x and updated dutifully through 6.x. I did not update to 7.x or 7.5.x since neither offered enough incemental value to justify the cost.Unless the next version, presumably 8.0 rather than, as a friend thinks, 7.75, offers a lot more than 7.x.x, I will remain with 6.0.6. I do not think that I will be alone in that;

2. As to the coming dominance of electronic media --- the computer literature of the 1950s and 60s was full of predictions that paper would, essentially, vanish within 10 years. Given the pile of catalogs that were just put into my mailbox, that 10 years is a long way away.

• 30. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                                                    Stix Hart Level 5

Does anyone know yet what the difference is between a "seat" and a "usergroup seat"?  Why would you pay $69 instead of $49 for what seems like the same thing?

• 31. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                                                      John Hawkinson Level 5

My completely speculative guess is that there may be document sharing features for workgroups that only work with the higher rate. Also, they might not let you purchase the $49 rate in quantity.

• 32. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                                                        W. Bravenboer Level 1

My main problem is this; owning the Suite makes it impossible to upgrade ONLY Indesign. So we have to pay full price for the suite, or buy only Indesign. For a service-provider and printer we need to have all current versions in house, most work is in PDF, but we also need to have open files (for data-merge for example). At this rate we have to own CS3, CS4, CS5, CS5.5 and so on... and we need to take which file has to stay in which version, because we sometimes need to send files back....

I know the future is digital, but it is a bit condescending to tell people to 'move on with the times', there is still much work in print. And I would appreciate it if not everybody thinks that we are a kind of 'dinosaur' here in 'backward' the Netherlands....

There is a major crisis going on here, and we are all trying to survive...

• 33. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                                                          Stix Hart Level 5

Yes, that was my completely speculative guess too, but those features will have to be pretty good to beat Dropbox and be worth 40% more.

I can imagine them stopping you doing volume licensing of the $49 edition, I don't know how the heck they're going to limit you to only buying one though!  Green cards perhaps...

• 34. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All

If I have InDesign CS5 will that be enough to enable me to upgrade to Cs6? Or do I have to be on Cs5.5?

• 35. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                                                              W. Bravenboer Level 1

Upgrades go from CS5 and 5.5 to CS6. We don't know yet when CS6 will come out yet. There is a 20% discount until december 31 to upgrade, at least here in NL.

• 36. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                                                                John Hawkinson Level 5

Eugene:

If I have InDesign CS5 will that be enough to enable me to upgrade to Cs6? Or do I have to be on Cs5.5?

According to http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/adobe-creative-cloud-and-adobe-creative-suite -new-choices-for-customers.html, as of November 9th, CS5 is sufficient.

W.:

We don't know yet when CS6 will come out yet.

I think we have a pretty good idea that it should be a year after CS5.5, based on public statements about the accellerated release cycle. Figue April/May 2012.

There is a 20% discount until december 31 to upgrade, at least here in NL.

That's a bit too ambiguous. There is a 20% discount to upgrade to CS5.5 from earlier versions, through Dec.31. That has little to do with CS6, other than making you eligible to upgrade to CS6 if you were on CS3 or CS4.

• 37. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All

Made up a table today on all the costs and the best way forward for myself.

Option 1

Illy and Photoshop CS2

Upgrade price for both of these is a combined total of €398

If I don't upgrade these two now - and want to buy them in the future it will cost me €1388.

And I don't think I'll need to upgrade Photo or illy CS5 after this upgrade. Literally only doing it so I don't have to pay full price.

InDesign CS5

I should be able to update InDesign CS5 to Cs6 (if Cs6 has tools necessary)

Approx €119

But that won't be for another 12 months or so (any word on release date?)

Option 1 Totals

I'm looking at over the next year

€398

Followed by updating InDesign again for CS6 @ €119

Totaling

€517

Option 2

Design Standard Suite

The other option is to use the Upgrade offer to upgrade to Design Standard Suite.

That will cost €799 (using the Upgrade price and InDesign CS5 as the upgrade option)

I should be able to upgrade that Suite for €299 in the future.

Option 2 totals

€799

Then pay again for an upgrade to CS6 @ €299

Totaling

€1098

I could in theory SKIP CS6! So that would keep me at €799.

Upgrade to CS7 (if it's released) in 2015(ish)

Frankly

I'm better off upgrading Photoshop and Illy now - actually don't need Photoshop CS5 at all? So I could go with just Illustrator for now

Upgrade Illy for €199

Upgrade InDesign to CS6 for €119 (hopefully)

That should put my costs at €318

Pray

I just have to pray I don't need Photoshop CS5! Or I'll be paying €689 for that.

Might be best to play it safe and upgrade Photoshop too then @ €199

Putting me back at €398 for this quarter

Then another €119 when I want to upgrade InDesign (should I choose I need CS6).

Where Adobe have gone wrong (imo)

It's unfair to ask people to upgrade to CS5.5 now and then have to upgrade again in a few months time (to CS6)

This is where I think Adobe got it wrong. I feel that people will upgrade to CS5 for their CS2, CS3, CS4 titles.

But I don't think they'll bother upgrading to CS6 after only a short time on CS5. I know I won't be upgrading Illy or Photoshop for a long time after this.

I think Adobe are shooting themselves in the foot here.

Which brings me back to the "Original Letter" posted at the start of this discussion.

I even more whole heartedly agree with Scott's letter. And I hope Adobe takes notice.

• 38. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All
                                                                                    W. Bravenboer Level 1

I think that most people will not upgrade, but keep using their version, mostly CS3 and CS4. I have to admit that the new features in Photoshop and Illustrator are almost never used, but that is of course dependent on the kind of work, we do mostly color corrections and small retouches in Photoshop.

Personally my biggest issue is with the problem that if I update our Suites, I have to pay for identical Illustrator and Photoshop programs, and an acrobat version that I find very unclear and difficult to work with, I have tried it, but did go back to the 'old' version.

For our company I would have to invest in 6 Creative Suites upgrades, while I really only need 6 Indesign upgrades.

• 39. Re: Upgrade Policy Change: One Version To Rule Them (You!) All

This is it now exactly. I only need to upgrade Illy and Photoshop. This is see me not having to spend the full price in the future.

I only need to keep InDesign up to date and will do that independently.

I see no need to get the full suite and keep paying for upgrades to programs I don't need to upgrade - that will lock me in to that suite.

I'm going to have to thing about this very carefully. Adobe are backing me into a corner here.

1 2 Previous Next