11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2011 6:07 AM by BobLevine

InDesign CS5.5 won't import docx/Word2010 with linked images.

AdobeScripts Level 3

Hi,

Maybe somebody knows what is going out

I have WORD 2010 document with LINKED MathType equations saved as EPS files.

In WORD 2010 they are LINKED or LINKED AND EMBEDED - but when I try to import this DOCX file into InDesign CS5.5 - images are missing.

Only EMBEDED images are imported/visible - but of course not linked.

I hope somebody can tell me if this is WORD or InDesign problem and how to fix this.

DOC file saved from WORD 2000 - imports perfectly fine - all EPS equations linked in WORD are perfectly visible and still linked in InDesign CS 5.5.

thx

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5.5 won't import docx/Word2010 with linked images.
          John Hawkinson Level 5

I think linked images just aren't supported by InDesign in docx files.

Save As as docx (or rtf) before placing.

I hope somebody can tell me if this is WORD or InDesign problem and how to fix this.

DOC file saved from WORD 2000 - imports perfectly fine - all EPS equations linked in WORD are perfectly visible and still linked in InDesign CS 5.5.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5.5 won't import docx/Word2010 with linked images.
            AdobeScripts Level 3

John Hawkinson wrote:

I think linked images just aren't supported by InDesign in docx files.

What ? Are you kidding me ? Really ?

Could anybody else confirm this ?

Is it written somewhere in "What is new in InDesign" for CS4 or CS5 or CS5.5 ? As CS4 also doesn't import linked images from DOCX.

RTF doesn't work, too

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5.5 won't import docx/Word2010 with linked images.
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Hi Robert, we haven't seen you here for a while. Welcome back.

I know Jongware complains bitterly that Word import can be really flakey. Did you try daving as plain .doc, too? Seems like MathType equations are also the subject of a fair number of posts, too, but I'm not sure they are really a similar problem. I don't suppose there's any way for you to convert the eqations to .ai or PDF and still use them as links in Word, or to embed rather than link?

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5.5 won't import docx/Word2010 with linked images.
                AdobeScripts Level 3

Peter Spier wrote:

Hi Robert, we haven't seen you here for a while. Welcome back.

Thx

I know Jongware complains bitterly that Word import can be really flakey. Did you try daving as plain .doc, too? Seems like MathType equations are also the subject of a fair number of posts, too, but I'm not sure they are really a similar problem. I don't suppose there's any way for you to convert the eqations to .ai or PDF and still use them as links in Word, or to embed rather than link?

I'm working on big tool to automatic mass processing big number of Word files. One of the steps is to prepare Word files with MathType equations for further manual processing. I have a macro (for Word2010) to automatically  export all equations to EPS files. The next step is to reImport EPS files back to Word - so they will be imported into InDesign as linked files and then they could be automatically correctly positioned withing the text.

The problem is - I've done reImport step in Word2000 - as 2nd macro - and it works perfectly fine for DOC files saved from Word2000.

Of course I can do this in InDesign - but I think it would be faster in Word.

I think missing import of the linked files for DOCX files is a BIG bug ...

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5.5 won't import docx/Word2010 with linked images.

Wish I had more to offer. My knowledge of the inner workings of Word, automation, and support for Word linked images would all fit together on the head of a pin, and still leave room for angels to dance.

John is pretty smart and knows more about the inner workings of ID than most folks who don't actually work for Adobe as part ot the develpoment team, so I don't doubt what he says for a moment. You might want to send Jongware a Private Message through his profile (http://forums.adobe.com/people/%5BJongware%5D) in case he hasn't seen this. He's done a LOT of poking in Word looking at import problems and might have some other ideas.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS5.5 won't import docx/Word2010 with linked images.
                    John Hawkinson Level 5

John is pretty smart and knows more about the inner workings of ID than most folks who don't actually work for Adobe as part ot the develpoment team, so I don't doubt what he says for a moment.

Well, John is really just speculating based on memory of somebody else's posts about this, so he might well be wrong.

In some quick tests, with Word 2011 Mac and ID CS5.5, well, bad things happen with docx and not with doc, when the image is embedded.

I can't quite tell if using doc instead of docx is a probem for Robin or not...

I know I've definitely imported RTF files with images before.

Oh my goodness, did I say this?:

That is not what I meant. I meant Save As DOC.

Oops.

• 7. Re: InDesign CS5.5 won't import docx/Word2010 with linked images.

John Hawkinson wrote:

Oh my goodness, did I say this?:

That is not what I meant. I meant Save As DOC.

Oops.

I wondered about that....

I think we need, also, to clarify that Robin is unembedding the images and linking them (no idea how that works in Word), which is not something I remember seeing discussed here at all. I know that Bob suggests exporting from Word to HTML to get a folder of links from .docx, but I haven't paid much attention to any of that workflow -- my clients either have Word 2000 or they don't add aimages to the files.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS5.5 won't import docx/Word2010 with linked images.
                        AdobeScripts Level 3

Peter Spier wrote:

I think we need, also, to clarify that Robin is unembedding the images and linking them (no idea how that works in Word), which is not something I remember seeing discussed here at all. I know that Bob suggests exporting from Word to HTML to get a folder of links from .docx, but I haven't paid much attention to any of that workflow -- my clients either have Word 2000 or they don't add aimages to the files.

As always, working with Adobe products, I need to find workaround by myself

But it's crazy and stupid that there is so many bugs and problems Especially with new versions ... Is there anybody in Adobe who really keep track of changes, bugs, fixes, new features, etc.? Thanks god they don't make cars or anything "physical".

Export to HTML is not an option - I have equations exported to EPS files.

But as I said - my tool is working right now so thanks guys for confirmation.

• 9. Re: InDesign CS5.5 won't import docx/Word2010 with linked images.
                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

With DOCX that shouldn’t be necessary. DOCX contains all of the original images for TIF or JPG but EPS can be a problem.

Bob

• 10. Re: InDesign CS5.5 won't import docx/Word2010 with linked images.
                            AdobeScripts Level 3

Bob Levine wrote:

With DOCX that shouldn’t be necessary. DOCX contains all of the original images for TIF or JPG but EPS can be a problem.

Why EPS would be a problem ?

Only info about linked file is needed - not linked file itself ...

• 11. Re: InDesign CS5.5 won't import docx/Word2010 with linked images.
                              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I have no idea about linked images in Word, only embedded.

Bob