4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2011 9:08 AM by Shadreck Rukweza

CORRUPTED FILES AND FOLDERS (Q5 raid storage)

Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

Sometime in August I purchased an external Q5 5 hardware raid for to use for my editing, storing media and stock footage. It supports esata and USB 3. I then purchased 5 Samsung 2TB HDD (model HD204UI) to use in this raid array. I hooked this up to my workstation via the esata connection which is on my silicon image host card (Sil 3132 Sata link Controller). However I tested the read and right speed and noticed that somehow limited to around 80MB/s, when its suppose to hit up to 220 MB/s. In trying to get maximum perfomance I used an esata backplate which was connected directly to my motherboard an the transfer speed cahnges to the average expected.

A months down the line when I switched on my system to get started with my work, the driver was not accessible, prompting to format it, saying that windows does not recognise the file format. I had no option but to format it at an extra cost of losing all the date which was on that RAID array (RAID 3 8TB), mostly tapes which needed recapturing. Then the same problem happenned again and the supplier advised me to use RAID 5 saying that most of their clients use RAID 5 and have sold lots of these units without any problems at all. We also verified that my Samsung HDDs did not need the firmware update  since they were dated 2011.06. I did switch to RAID 5 and a few days after this incident I was cleaning my Media Cache with After Effects and AE started pointing to corrupted files on that RAID array, and some of the folders became unaccessible. At this point I advised the supplier and had to RMA the unit for further test.

However after over 3 weeks of testing the supplier told me this "The issue you are seeing may be down to your environment and due to each set up being unique to each environment we are unable to test this" and they did not find any fault with the unit and returned it back. So I do not know the problem here I have got the unit with me here and don't understand why that problem is happenning.

1. Firstly to reset this unit I will have to use the USB cable that was supplied with it, as the esata connection will not help at all.
      2. The Silicon (Sil 3132 Sata link Controller) appears to limit my external RAID controllers to just 80MB/s as compared to single HDDs which can hit up to 110MB/s via the same connection. Previous TB 32 Raid array was also limited to 80MB/s.
      3. I have got two internal Western Digital 7200rpm in software raid and the speed is around 160MB/s, but when they used Areca 1110 hardware Raid they were also limited to 80MB/s.
      4. When I use HD Tach it only recognise 1404GB via ESATA, but USB 2 sees 8000GB (Correct capacity).

I am thinking of getting a USB 3 host card, but still the reviews on the internet are not quite favourable. The question here is, Is there anything wrong with my hardware and software set up at all, which is bringing me these problem or its ESATA drives with the HP workstation? If anyone could help, how can I overcome this problem?

SYSTEM

HP XW 6600

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Dual Xeon 5450 @ 3.Ghz

32 GB RAM

GTX 285 2GB GPU

Momentus XT (500GB) C drive

Matrox RT X2

Intel RAID 3TB partitioned (2TB + 1TB)

APP CS5

• 1. Re: CORRUPTED FILES AND FOLDERS (Q5 raid storage)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

There are a few things that spring out with your setup and that may cause the lacking performance.

The Xeon 5450 is a very dated CPU, the GTX 285 is equally dated, the Momentus is a pretty slow boot drive, the Intel raid is slow as molasses in winter and to make it worse, it is partitioned, and finally the most atrocious problem is Matrox RT.X2. The Q5 is nice for a NAS, but not so much for online storage and the SIL controller is not fast or reliable either, especially when you transfer data over a single eSATA port. It is like driving on a four lane highway, but at the end the highway becomes a single lane road. That will lead to traffic jams at the moment you have more than a few cars on the road and is similar to editing video over such an interface.

Jeez, when you read this you must be thinking is there anything good about my machine? Yes, there is, but you have to decide what is wise.

Your case is big enough to house those 5 disks currently in the QNAP case. If you connect them to a good raid controller (LSI or Areca come to mind) internally, you will get much better performance. With raid3 or 5 you should be able to get decent transfer rates in the order of 220-250 MB/s, even with your very slow disks (Had you used normal 7200 disks, you might have gotten around 350+ MB/s). An other option is to connect 4 disks over a 8088 connection to the internal raid controller and use the 5-th one as a separate disk.

Never opt for ecogreen disks in an editing rig. They are too slow.

You would be clever to get rid of the Matrox and use it only for its designed purpose, as a doorstop. Also, never partition a disk or an array.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CORRUPTED FILES AND FOLDERS (Q5 raid storage)
            Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

Thanks for your reply Harm. The Q5 can also be used as an external RAID and its not a NAS. Its QNAP family but they call them Q series as they do not have THE Network technology. The RT X2 will be on the door very soon as you previously advised. The software RAID was limited to 2TB thats why I ended up having it partitioned.

Anyway my major concern is the repeated corruption of files and folders on the Q5?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: CORRUPTED FILES AND FOLDERS (Q5 raid storage)
              Harm Millaard Level 7

See: Adobe Forums: How to access more than 2 TB of disk...

The repeated corruption is probably caused by the limitations of the eSATA connection in combination with the SIL controller. On a parity raid abd especially on a distributed parity raid like raid5, the data flow is important to maintain integrity of all your data and parity. But using a less than optimal controller to start with and then pushing all those data over a single eSATA lane can easily lead to corruption. That is why I suggested an internal raid or a raid over an 8088 (external SAS) connection. However in the latter case you are usually limited to four disks.

• 4. Re: CORRUPTED FILES AND FOLDERS (Q5 raid storage)
                Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

I did set up my software RAID in BIOS and do not remember seeing the option of a GPT and MBR. Or after setting up the RAID in bios, I will have to go into disk management to set it to GPT without partition.