1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2011 10:09 AM by billinsherwood

Trouble with CS 4 corruption

billinsherwood

I recently crashed my wife's Mac desktop updating to a new os  (10.5).  Lost everything, and backups did not work.  Saved files, though.

I ran Migration from my lap, and it froze when it got to CS4, but it did upload it..  Evidentally my CS4 from my laptop was in some way compromised.   It works fine to a point.  Creates new docs fine.  Will no longer open many previously created docs, saying that plugins may be corrupted. I compared my plugins with laptop and they are a match.  While I was installing a new harddrive, I figured, I might as well add another.  So, I have 2 bootable harddrives on this computer.  I tried to install CS4 on the second hard drive, but it does not like the serial number of my old CS3.  Oy.  So, I am now opening my old files on a trial version of CS 4 on my backup harddrive.  This party will end in 27 days.  Keeps asking if I want to buy a serial number,  I thought there were plugins to reinstall in the Goodies file of the CS4 install disk, but no.

This is my wife's lifeline.  I can take no chances with the one she has on the main hard drive, that is corrupted somehow, so I need to keep it running, and fix it.  I worked for about 30 or 40 hours restoring her to this point and she will kill me if I mess her up again.  There are no scabs left to pick.  Not to mention that she ran a marketing business from my laptop for 2 weeks, and it will never be the same.  I literally did my business on an iPhone 4s, which was educational, but a little slow.

I would like to strangle the inventor of Apple's "Backup" program with the little umbrella on 10.4, since it is worthless and cost me a load of dough, sleep, hours, and anger from my wife.  I am now running Time Machine, and, Carbon Copy Cloner.  Fool me twice.  Help?

Thanks.

BAD

• 1. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hindsight: Never upgrade an operating system and never use a migration program to move applications to a new computer.

Do clean installs of operating systems and use the original media to install programs.

As for the install problem we need details of what the problem is. This CS4 was an upgrade from CS3?

Bob

• 2. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
            billinsherwood Level 1

Thanks for flash reply.

Yes, from CS3.  When I tried to install CS4 upgrade to a clean new 

disk and OS,   it asked for serial number of CS3 that had worked 

before, of course.  Kept telling me invalid serial number.  That's 

why I finally installed the trial.  Now it is asking if I want to buy 

a serial number. I'm still using the same program on my laptop.

Bill Davis

• 3. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption

Make sure you’re typing the serial number correctly. If you registered, the serial number will be available by signing into your Adobe account and checking it there.

Otherwise, there’s nothing anyone here is going to be able to do.

Bob

• 4. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                billinsherwood Level 1

thanks.

(You can see why I am nervous installing it on the new hard drive 

where she works.)

bd

• 5. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                  billinsherwood Level 1

I never synched my products with my account, evidently.  Just went on 

line, and registered.  Any way to go backwards.  We started this 

circus with Aldus Pagemaker, so we have been in the system for a long 

time with many programs.

• 6. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption

I don’t know what you mean. Registering online would automatically put your serial number into your account.

Bob

• 7. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                      billinsherwood Level 1

I know, but I started registering at least 15 years ago, and I did 

not have an account, with Adobe.  I know I registered these things, 

maybe to another address or something.  Whatever.

bd

• 8. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                        billinsherwood Level 1

Bob,

One more thing.

I do have the serial numbers. On my 2nd new hard drive, I installed 

OSX 4.11.  Installed my old programs from scratch.  Everything worked 

fine until I got to InDesign.  (The one that my wife relies on a lot 

in her marketing company).

I installed the CS 4 upgrade that I have been using for years (Davis 

marketing Systems).  When I finished the download, it asked me for the 

serial number of the old version from which I was upgrading, and said 

that it needed it, since it could not find an upgradable version. 

Logical.  The problem is:  It asked for the serial number of the old, 

upgradable program.  I inserted the serial number for my CS# progran, 

and it said that it is not a valid serial number.

So, I downloaded the CS3.  Used the serial number that CS 4 would not 

previously recognize. It installed easily with its own serial number. 

So, at that point (and now), i have CS3, and am on day 6 of my trial 

period for CS 4, which I happen to own.  Adobe has tried to sell me 

upgrades for that numerous times.  I figured, that i had it made now, 

since i had CS 3 in.  I went back and opened a file in CS4.  I got the 

same message and the same results.  It could not find the CS 3 serial 

number it its proper place on the computer, so I entered it (it had 

just been used in the CS 3 install) and it told me that it was invalid.

That's my story, to date.  I have seen similar problems on the boards.

(Before I tried migration, I tried to copy a laptop to the empty new 

hard drive.  That crashed too.  Cause of crash corrupt CS4)

Thanks again.  I really do appreciate your fast service and attempts 

to help.

Bill Davis

>>

>> Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption

>> created by Bob Levine in InDesign - View the full discussion

>> Hindsight: Never upgrade an operating system and never use a 

>> migration program to move applications to a new computer.

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> Do clean installs of operating systems and use the original media 

>> to install programs.

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> As for the install problem we need details of what the problem is. 

>> This CS4 was an upgrade from CS3?

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> Bob

>>

>> Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, 

>> not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, 

>> either reply to this email or visit the message page: [http://forums.adobe.com/message/4040889#4040889

>> ]

>> To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at [http://forums.adobe.com/message/4040889#4040889

>> ]. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email 

>> Notifications link.

>> Start a new discussion in InDesign by email or at Adobe Forums

>> For more information about maintaining your forum email 

>> notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746

>> .

Big Dog

• 9. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption

It’s possible you’re using the wrong upgrade.

Your CS4 serial number tells the installer what it needs as far as upgrade. It may be a CS/CS2 to CS4 upgrade in which case the CS3 serial won’t work.

Bob

• 10. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                            billinsherwood Level 1

Always worked before.

And, I get a choice of programs from which to pick a serial number.  I 

am choosing CS 3, which it is.  It is give me a choice of CS, CS2, or 

CS 3.  And It is telling me that it can't find the SN in its proper 

place.  That's the part that is strange.  I never remember needing a 

sn before, as i think the upgrade always found the program.

bd

• 11. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption

Are you sure the other serial is for CS3?

Bob

• 12. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                                billinsherwood Level 1

Not home now. to check.  but, pretty sure.  Definitely a CS  Tan icon 

with a feather.  I think all of the previous CS programs are 

upgradable to 4.  I have it on 3 computers (been scolded enough for 

the 2 license rule) and a bootable External.  Ran the original 

upgrade without a hitch.   I'm not saying it's not the nut behind the 

wheel.

If I don't get it when I get home, I'll mess with it after the 

tryptophan.

Have a nice holiday.

bd

• 13. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

billinsherwood wrote:

Not home now. to check.  but, pretty sure.  Definitely a CS  Tan icon 

with a feather.  I think all of the previous CS programs are 

upgradable to 4. 

Butterfly, maybe? I think Feathers were Photoshop, but maybe Illustrator. Last version to use a pictorial icon was Version 3.0, aka CS.

I honestly don't recall if CS was upgradeable to CS4 directly, but it seems likely it would have been. Have you tried putting the disk in the drive rather than entering the s/n?

• 15. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                                    billinsherwood Level 1

Think You are right.  Butterfly,

I have not tried the disk directly, but I installed the program.  I 

have 2 programs in there now, and 4 can't see the sn for 3.

bd

• 16. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption

CS2 had a butterfly also. Point is you don’t have CS3…you have either CS or CS2 .

Bob

• 17. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption

Bob Levine wrote:

CS2 had a butterfly also.

Oh, right. Tan was CS CS, though.

• 18. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                                          billinsherwood Level 1

Problem is, I am not there to look at it.  Could be a butterfly. 

Maybe not.  I just remember it is tan.  But I thought it said CS 3.  

I installed it again last night, and I am fairly certain it is CS 3.  

In any case, The list of approved versions for the upgrades (on a 

pull down menu after installation) are:  CS, CS2, and CS3.  Pretty 

sure I remember that right. I know there were three of them.  Has to 

be.  There were only 3 before 4, and they were all upgradable, 

weren't they.  So it's moot.

bd

• 19. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                                            billinsherwood Level 1

I had my wife check.

It is a butterfly.  She opened it, and it is Adobe CS 3.0

bd

• 20. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption

Adobe really started confusing users when they started bundling programs and adopted the CS designations InDesign CS(1) is InDesign Version 3.0 and InDesign CS3 is really InDesign version 5.0. You should be telling the installer, if it is asking for a version number, that you are upgrading from either CS (no 3), or Version 3.0.

• 21. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                                                billinsherwood Level 1

It installed the program

• 22. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                                                  billinsherwood Level 1

Thanks Again. I tried answering the version 3 different ways. CS, CS2, and CS 3. No luck.

• 23. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption

Try using the disk when you get home, but it's pretty surprising that it wouldn't recognize the installed version if it's eligible.

Bob is more on top of this than I am, actually, and if he says you may have an upgrade that works with a differnt version, that may be it. Did you ever have this installed before? Did you maybe have an old version of PageMaker, or perhaps Photshop, that you upgraded from?

• 24. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption

Are you upgrading a suite or just InDesign?

Bob

• 25. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                                                        billinsherwood Level 1

You are right about that Peter.  It's confusing the heck out of me.  

I have little doubt that you are onto the cause of these problems.  

Mix and match, programs, upgrades, etc.  Some how, the CS 3 that I 

have, just isn't dumping the authentication to the right file, and 

the serial number, although it works fine with the CS 3 install, is 

not compatible with the CS 4 upgrade.

We added all of our Adobe programs separately.  Started with Aldus 

pagemaker, then, upgrade after upgrade, ad infinitum. When Adobe 

pulled the plug on Pagemaker, my wife's life changed.  She had done a 

thousand creations in that program.  Started in the 80's, I think.  

She has never run an upgrade or installation, and I have done 

hundreds.  I have books full of disks

All I was trying to do was upgrade my wife's OS to 10.5.  That 

crashed her computer, and has probably caused me 50 hours, 2 500 gig 

new hard drives. and the wrath of a good woman.

Oh well.

bd

• 26. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                                                          billinsherwood Level 1

I did install the whole program last night.

• 27. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption

Try using the s/n from Pagemaker...

• 28. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption

billinsherwood wrote:

I did install the whole program last night.

Not sure waht that is in response to. Bob was asking about individual programs vs. a bundle because ID installed as part of the CS bundle that included other programs must be upgraded with a bundle upgrade, not a stand-alone InDesign upgrade. My question about having it installed before was in reation to another computer wher the installation had been succesful and the serial numbers recognized.

• 29. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                                                                billinsherwood Level 1

It was a stand alone upgrade.  The CS 3 was stand alone, as was the 

CS 4 upgrade.  I have disks for each, which is what I used this week.

I'll try the disk tonight, but I'm not sure what you mean.  You want 

me to insert the CS 3 disk, then try to start my "Trial" version of 4?

bd

• 30. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                                                                  billinsherwood Level 1

Just In Design

• 31. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                                                                    billinsherwood Level 1

Thanks.  Will Do.

Again, I really appreciate you all taking the time for this head 

scratcher.  bd

• 32. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption

Aside from trying the serial number form PM, if that doesn't work, I would try inserting the CS disk, then launch CS4 and go to Help > Register (if it doesn't automatically come up and give you the opprotunity to ent the s/n). I'm pretty sure in the first screen you see to enter a serial number will want the serial for the CS4 version. From there it should ask for proof of eligibility, and you should point to the other serial number (PM or CS) or the CS disk or CS installed on the system.

• 33. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                                                                        billinsherwood Level 1

We'll giver her a try.

I'll let you know.  I know you are off tomorrow, of course.

Thanks again.  bd

• 34. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption

I don't know about Bob, but I'll probably check in from time to time tomorrow, and we have a lot of non-US users who may be lurking and can offer more help, too.

• 35. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption

Well, I do have 30 people or so to feed tomorrow so I’m going to be a bit busy but I’ll try to check in, also.

Bob

• 36. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                                                                              billinsherwood Level 1

I'm driving 260 miles round trip to get a dose of a great family.

• 37. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                                                                                billinsherwood Level 1

Hi Guys.

Well, i fixed it.

The Pagemaker SN did not work.  Nor did putting in the CS3 

installation disk.

Remember, i have 2 brand spanking new 500 gig hard drives on this 

thing.  The first one, running 10.5.11 was corrupt, and just kept 

spouting out plug in corruption in errors. It's the one that i got 

from Migration, from a laptop.   So, when it wouldn't work at all, I 

went to an absolutely new, clean drive and installed 10.4 on it.  

Then, I installed CS3, and tried to get CS4 in.  The rest is well 

documented above.

What i finally tried was this.  I downloaded CS3 to the 10.5 corrupted 

(only In design) hard drive.  That's the one my wife wants to use 

anyway.  I downloaded CS4 over the corrupted version.  It somehow, 

cleaned it up, de-installed the old corrupted CS4, and works like a 

charm.  It evidently saw the evidence of a valid program from which to 

upgrade.  Go figure.

I can not tell you how much I appreciate your help.  It reminds me of 

a friend of mine who said he was glad his house burned down to find 

out how many true friends he had.  Throughout this 50 hour crash and 

restore, when it came to Adobe, I really feel that you had my back.  I 

have been through dozens of Adobe downloads, upgrades, etc. and it is 

nice to know that i had two smart, qualified guys helping at every turn.

Thank you, and i hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

BD

• 38. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption

Glad you got it sorted.

Bob

• 39. Re: Trouble with CS 4 corruption
                                                                                    billinsherwood Level 1

Hi Bob,

One little thing.

Now, every time I start I design, I get a message that says that I design has moved from its original location a d I need to repair settings. I hit repair, and it's fine  it it does it every time.

Any thoughts?

BD

1 2 Previous Next