36 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2011 7:26 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements DVD looks awful

thebouncer2010

Hello,

I am trying to make computer tutorial videos both available on DVD and on the web. I am only on the DVD part so far and having major trouble. Here is what I am trying to do

Creating screen captures using CamStudio I have tried setting the value to 100 for quality and changed to the FPS to 29.97 and 33. The screen I am recording is at 800 x 600 resolution setting in a VMWare window. I capture the video and it looks great until I pull it into Premiere.

I dont know what preset to select as none of them apply since non of them have the 800 x 600 resolution as an option. ACHVD 720p30 lite is the current setting it is on.

I bring it into Premiere and I start to have weird video problems. If I use the lossless CamStudio codec i get a black box in premiere where the cursor should be. If I view this video outside of premier I do not have this problem. If I use the Microsoft Codec  I do not experience this issue.

I put 3 videos with different variations of the original codec  FPS. one at 29.97 another at 33 fps using the microsoft codec then the final one at 33 fps using the lossless codec. In preview it looked good, once it was burned it was fuzzy, jumping and horrible.

How do I fix this ? Also how can I reduce the AVI file size without killing the quality. I want to have a nice clean presentable video. Please help I am new to screen recording and dvd authoring. I bought Premiere just for this purpose.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff Bellune, a valued contributor to the PrPro and Encore forums, does a lot of video tutorials, and has used Camtasia in PrPro extensively. Many of this comments and instructions can be found in the links in this ARTICLE. Might be some helpful info there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
            thebouncer2010 Level 1

He refers to the Techsmith codec which I am assuming is the codec that is available to Camtasia owners. Camstudio has a lossless codec as well. Could you clarify ? I am using the free version and I am hesitant to spend $299.99 to find out it wont work.

He also mentions the Lagarith  which I am assuming is this here ->http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

edit:

I forgot to mention I also do not have After Effects as the authors instructions say "Open After Effects". I DO NOT have Premier Elements not CS4

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The biggest problem with recording video tutorials is that most people forget that video is only the equivalent of a 640x480 image. So if you're recording a tutorial of your whole computer screen -- a screen that could be 1280x1080 or more -- it's going to look awful because you're only getting about 1/4 the resolution. Even if your video settings are for 1280x720 -- the DVD is still only going to be 640x480.

When you record a computer tutorial for output to DVD, you need to make sure you're not recording an area of your computer screen much larger than 640x480. 800x600 at most.

What's the resolution of your original captured video?

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                thebouncer2010 Level 1

My overall screen is 1600 x 900 however I have set the screen capture area to be a specific area it is almost 800 x 600 it varies slightly by + or - a few pixels i think. I am using VMWare and have the resolution of the VM set to 800 x 600 which is the lowest resolution setting available.

Adobe premiere doesnt give me the option under any of the selections when you start a new project for 800 x 600 resolution.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You'll see some reduction of quality/resolution but not much.

But I wouldn't recommend recording as an uncompressed or lossless codec. Premiere Element should be able to work with the Tech Smith codec AVI.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The TechSmith CODEC's are the ones with Camtasia. I believe that they are also downloadable, but do not know if they are free.

For the video-editing part, PrE should be almost as functional as PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                      thebouncer2010 Level 1

PRE doesnt give you the ability to EXPORT at all so I cannot set the export options... Which pre-seleced video forat should I be choosing their are many and are all HD output. can I use 720p if I am making  DVD? I am lost with all the preselections when I begin  new project I have a bunch of different ones I can select. None of them say standard the closest one to standard is 480p and that is under DSLR with a resolution of 640 x 480 p60

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                        VDOSurfer Level 3

It just is a non-standard resolution and since there is no option to customize the import presets (It is there is Premiere Pro, I think) this issue might just stay on. Are there other Non-Linear Editing consumer software that allow editing such files? Just checking with experts here..

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                          nealeh Level 5

The File> Export feature is only used for exporting titles. All other export features are in the shared tab.

Would you analyse one of your clips with GSpot or MediaInfo and post the screenshots here.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                            thebouncer2010 Level 1

Do you want me to analyze whats coming out of Adobe Premiere Elements or what is captured by camstudio ? Also what settings should I use as their is a wide array of settings in both programs ?

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                              thebouncer2010 Level 1

VDOSurfer wrote:

It just is a non-standard resolution and since there is no option to customize the import presets (It is there is Premiere Pro, I think) this issue might just stay on. Are there other Non-Linear Editing consumer software that allow editing such files? Just checking with experts here..

VDO I was wondering the same thing as it seems Adobe Premiere Elements is too crippled to be able to do what I need it to do.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                pgauba Adobe Employee

Hi,

800x600 is not a standard resolution. This will happen if the video is not of a standard resolution.

Thanks,

Pankaj Gauba

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                  VDOSurfer Level 3

Wondering if there is a difference between "crippled" and "not designed for".. You can use Premiere Pro. Costly, but worth it.

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                    nealeh Level 5

What is coming out of CamStudio please.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                      thebouncer2010 Level 1

VDOSurfer wrote:

Wondering if there is a difference between "crippled" and "not designed for".. You can use Premiere Pro. Costly, but worth it.

I understand that but to have a program that is supposed to be for home users that has no custom settings its pretty bad for a pay for program. I'm not impressed with Adobe these days. Seems like its all about $$$ I dont have $1,500.00 to shell out to make some video tutorials. I need to do this inexpensive as possible.

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                        thebouncer2010 Level 1

nealeh wrote:

What is coming out of CamStudio please.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale

Here is the info from MediaInfo

First Video Stream:

12.1 Mbps 800*600 (4:3), at 200.000 fps, MS Video

Format                           : AVI
                                        Format/Info                      : Audio Video Interleave
                                        File size                        : 22.8 MiB
                                        Duration                         : 15s 755ms
                                        Overall bit rate                 : 12.1 Mbps

Video
                                        ID                               : 0
                                        Format                           : MS Video
                                        Codec ID                         : CRAM
                                        Codec ID/Info                    : Microsoft Video 1
                                        Duration                         : 15s 755ms
                                        Bit rate                         : 12.1 Mbps
                                        Width                            : 800 pixels
                                        Height                           : 600 pixels
                                        Display aspect ratio             : 4:3
                                        Frame rate                       : 200.000 fps
                                        Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.126
                                        Stream size                      : 22.7 MiB (100%)

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                          thebouncer2010 Level 1

pgauba wrote:

Hi,

800x600 is not a standard resolution. This will happen if the video is not of a standard resolution.

Thanks,

Pankaj Gauba

I tried 1024 X 768 and i tried doubling the resolution to 2048 x 1536 prior to importing it into Premiere Elements and I am still getting the same results... fuzzy and the image is jumping.

Does anyone know of any other non linear video editing software that is either free or relatively inexpensive ? It appears Elements just cant produce a good video without defects. I made a youtube video awhile back with it and even though it wasnt blurry it had this same jumping image issue.

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                            thebouncer2010 Level 1

I just tried another test using the same 3 videos   an 800 x 600 , 1024 x 768 both encoded with MS Video codec and a 2048 x 1536 encoded with lagarith lossless codec imported into Windows Live Movie Maker

NONE of the videos have the jumping issue (so now I know Adobe Premiere Elements is causing that issue.

The 800 x 600 besides looking a little dull in color is clear and I can read all of the names of the icons on the desktop , their is no jumping in this video and no fuzziness

1024 x 768 the type is not clear, but no jumping is occuring

2048 x 1536 the type is not clear, but no jumping is occuring

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                              nealeh Level 5

A little surprised by the MediaInfo dialog showing 200 frames per second, but pleased to hear that you have found something that works for you. If the version you are using is the Windows Movie Maker Live I suggest you get Windows Movie Maker 2.6. It has more features than the dumbed down Live. You can get it from here: Download: Windows Movie Maker 2.6 - Microsoft Download Center ...

Ignore references implying it is only for Vista - it works on XP, Vista, & 7. Both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Cheers,
                                              --
                                              Neale

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                                thebouncer2010 Level 1

nealeh wrote:

A little surprised by the MediaInfo dialog showing 200 frames per second, but pleased to hear that you have found something that works for you. If the version you are using is the Windows Movie Maker Live I suggest you get Windows Movie Maker 2.6. It has more features than the dumbed down Live. You can get it from here: Download: Windows Movie Maker 2.6 - Microsoft Download Center ...

Ignore references implying it is only for Vista - it works on XP, Vista, & 7. Both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Cheers,
                                                --
                                                Neale

Movie Maker does not solve the problem though as I need the ability to stretch and shrink the video time to go with the audio which will be recorded seperately since I cannot seem to record it without having it stutter and that is with using a $100.00 external usb microphone! How are video tutorials usually produced ? audio while recording motions or audio added on later ?

My plan was to import the entire movie into Premiere elements and then import a seperate audio track and then cut / stretch and shrink the video to match with the audio.

The 200 frames per second was based on a recommendation I saw someplace for making screen recordings using Camstudio. If it is set at 33 FPS the motion is jerky and slow.

The only thing I have proved with the test is that Adobe Premiere Elements is not functioning properly but I still do not know how to fix the issue.

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                                  Robert J. Johnston Level 2

Set up Microsoft Video 1 in CamStudio with these settings:

Click Configure button and set Temporal Quality Ratio to 100%.

Other settings:

Auto Adjust: Clear the checkmark. Needs to be cleared in order to change other settings.

Quality: 100

Set Keyframes every 1 frames.

Capture Frames every 33 msecs.

Playback Rate: 30 frames/second.

In Premiere Elements, after adding the clip to the timeline, right-click on it and clear the checkmark next to "Scale to Frame Size."

Because a DVD does not use square pixels, the text will be slightly blurred. You may want to try burning both a standard 4:3 and a widescreen 16:9 DVD to see if one looks better than the other.

The Flip 480p preset will give you the best preview in Premiere Elements, as it has square 1.0 pixels and has a 4:3 aspect ratio, same as recorded by CamStudio.

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                                    thebouncer2010 Level 1

Robert J. Johnston wrote:

Set up Microsoft Video 1 in CamStudio with these settings:

Click Configure button and set Temporal Quality Ratio to 100%.

Other settings:

Auto Adjust: Clear the checkmark. Needs to be cleared in order to change other settings.

Quality: 100

Set Keyframes every 1 frames.

Capture Frames every 33 msecs.

Playback Rate: 30 frames/second.

In Premiere Elements, after adding the clip to the timeline, right-click on it and clear the checkmark next to "Scale to Frame Size."

Because a DVD does not use square pixels, the text will be slightly blurred. You may want to try burning both a standard 4:3 and a widescreen 16:9 DVD to see if one looks better than the other.

The Flip 480p preset will give you the best preview in Premiere Elements, as it has square 1.0 pixels and has a 4:3 aspect ratio, same as recorded by CamStudio.

I haventhad a chance to try these settings yet as this week has been nuts at work and with the holiday shopping.. I should be able to try this tomorrow. Just didnt want everyone to think I left.

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                                      Ted Smith Level 3

Many people assume that if they make an original video at a high defition, when they make a low resolution DVD of it, this will somehow give superior results.

Unfortunately the opposite is usually the case. You never get as good results, given all other things being equal, unless other factors like the camera lens and pickup device are much superior to the old standard camera as well.

One factor is because high definition cameras don't have the same "depth of modulation" or sharpness as low resolution cameras at the critical point which represents the upper resolution limit of DVD. They don't need to be extra sharp at lower pixel rates because they show finer piuxels to compensate.

You always have to unnaturally slightly pre-sharpen HD material before burning to lower resolution DVD to allow for this.

Consider the following for an old 4x3 NTSC standard video DVD made from 800x800, (the same principle applies to anywhere where the original isn't the same as the end product)

Only every 4th 640 pixel will coincide with about each 6th 800 pixel. All the others in between have to be arrived at by a mixture of the intervening pixels.

The software can only guess when the new pixel values should be in between from the trend or average of the original HD pixels. This sometimes gives horrible results up to one quarter of the resolution depending on the nature of some small parts of the screen.

If you haven't got a very fast computer and video card you will get jumpiness as well as it cant keep up to what is necessary to convert.

The best DVD or Blue ray results are usually made with the camera set to the exactly the same pixels as the final product.

Eg 640x480i for 3x4 standard NTSC, 1920x1080i for widescreen Blue Ray

This applies also to stills from still camera. These must be downgraded (to 640x480 or 1920x1080 in the above example) and re-sharpened if necessary with Photoshop so you see exactly how bad they will be before importing to the editor.

Downgrading to a pixel value slightly higher than the final product usually gives the worst quality of all because they are eventually being downgraded twice.

Basically, video editors are NOT designed to be video converters so any attempt to use them for this will give much poorer results.

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                                        thebouncer2010 Level 1

Ted,

Part of the problem is Windows 7 only allows me to drop the resolution to 800 x 600 I cannot go any lower. I am taking screen recordings of Windows 7 running in VMWare Workstation 7.1 with it set to the 800 x 600 resolution.  Elements doesn't have a 800 x 600 setting. So my screen captures are in 800 x 600, I could also capture them in 1024 x 768 but this makes everything smaller. I want it to be as readable as possible.

The computer I am using is an ASUS Republic of Gamers Laptop with a 2GB Nvidia GEForce GTX 560M Video Card 8GB of Ram and a Quad Core i7 2630QM processor. Max Resolution is 1600 x 900 on the laptop. So I do not believe the jumping is a resource issue.

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Given the limitation of the video screen-capture software, you might be better to use a conversion program on the resulting footage, to down-rez it to SD. Many conversion programs should be able to down-rez to 720 x 480 Widescreen (NTSC), and output a DV-AVI. Those files should Import and edit beautifully into PrE.

Another option would be to work in HD resolutions in a matching HD Project, and then let PrE down-rez to SD in a DV-AVI. The down-rezzing capabilities of PrE are not the ultimate (nor will down-rezzing in PrPro). You might want to look at this TUTORIAL on going from HD to SD, with some free, open-source software.

Yet another option would be to use a different video screen-capture program, like Camtasia. Jeff Bellune (creator of the above linked tutorial) has many comments in this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 26. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                                            thebouncer2010 Level 1

Bill,

I am selecting the 800 x 600 area as that is the lowest resolution I can set Windows 7 at. I dont know if I am describing things correctly

The area I am recording is set in CamStudio for 800 x 600 which matches the 800 x 600 resolution of the virtual version of windows 7. My laptop that I am using to capture the recordings with is set for 1600 x 900..

If I am understanding you correctly though are you saying to record it at 800 x 600 then take it down in resolution using another program. Which codec should be used for the resolution reduction ?

Also am I better off at 1024 x 768 and taking it down since this is already widescreen like format ?

• 27. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The Frame Size in pixels will first dictate the Project Preset chosen (PrE has a limited set of Frame Sizes, where PrPro allows for Custom Frame Sizes). Next, one has to consider the desired output. In your case, it appears to be DVD, which is SD, in either Standard 4:3, or Widescreen 16:9.

If one has footage from a camera, then that dictates the Project's Frame Size, and the two should match 100%. With footage that is generated, where one has some control over the pixel x pixel dimensions, then that choice should be made to match one of PrE's Project Presets.

I do not know the limitations of pixel x pixel Frame Size of the video screen-capture software, but apparently you have explored that, and know it well. In the case of my laptop, the pixel x pixel dimensions would be 1680 x 1050, so I would capture in that, but as I have PrPro, I would choose a Custom Preset, and match that Frame Size. I would edit in that Custom Preset, and then use Jeff Bellune's tips for down-rezzing to SD for authoring to DVD, or I would produce everything in HD (though non-standard), and then down-rez slightly to 1280 x 720, Cropping as would be necessary, and authoring to BD. However, remember that I would be working with PrPro, which does allow for a Custom Frame Size.

Good luck, and wish that I had more of direct help,

Hunt

• 28. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                                                thebouncer2010 Level 1

During all of this I did download Sony Vegas HD Platinum 11 trial and I also downloaded the Camtasia Trial.

I tried Camtasia and it still looks fuzzy after Adobe Premiere Elements makes the DVD

Adobe Premiere Elements makes no sense... they allow you to burn a project to DVD but their is no custom preset for DVD (720 x 480)... In Sony Vegas it gives 720 x 480.

I also burned a DVD from Adobe Premiere Elements and tried playing it back on the same laptop I burned it on. The laptop doesnt recognize the DVD!!!! It tells me to insert disc and pops the tray out if I try to play the file or open it.   If I put the Sony Vegas made DVD in, it plays it without a problem on my in Windows Media Player.

I think I have all but given up on Adobe Premiere Elements. A good example of the jumping problem I am seeing can be seen here in a youtube video I made previously using Adobe Premiere Elements several months ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKzGSMaC42I   you can see it in the first 30 seconds and then randomly throughout the video.

Unless anyone has any other ideas or suggstions I'd say I'm dumping Adobe Premiere Elements and getting Sony Vegas HD Platinum. I wish it had some of the editing capabilities of PRE though. Lets face it though PRE can have all the effects it wants, if it doesnt produce a good clear video no one will bother watching it. I'm just furious that Adobe puts out such inferior consumer products and if I want to do anything productive that looks good I have to shell out $1,600.00 for a professional video editing suite. I'm a hobbyist not a professional producer making movies and music videos. Its sad that a $50.00 piece of software has more production options and can actually produce a DVD that can be read by the computer that created it and PRE cant even do that!!!

Whats even worse is if it does play on the computer the default menu soundtrack skips and it takes almost 2 minutes to load!   The menu also looks awful and I didnt create that, Adobe PRE did!

• 29. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Adobe Premiere Elements makes no sense... they allow you to burn a project to DVD but their is no custom preset for DVD (720 x 480)... In Sony Vegas it gives 720 x 480.

I am not following this paragraph. The main Frame Size for NTSC DVD-Video is 720 x 480. There are a few smaller ones allowed, but they are not that common.

What sort of customization do you wish? For DVD-Video, it's basically 720 x 480 Standard (4:3 w/ PAR = 0.9), or Widescreen (16:9 w/ PAR = 1.2). The Audio can either be PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, or DVD-compliant DD AC3, in stereo, or DD 5.1 SS (not available from PrE) as the Primary, or one of the allowed Supplement Audio formats, like DTS.

Not much to customize, but then I must just be missing something. Can you tell us more, please?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 30. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                                                    thebouncer2010 Level 1

When you first start the project you need to select a preset for the overall video type/size.... PRE does not give a present for standard definition DVD output at 720 x 480 the smallest they have is 640 x 480 so you end up with a mismatch between what Camtasia can output and what Adobe can work with.

• 31. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                                                      thebouncer2010 Level 1

Bill Hunt wrote:

I am not following this paragraph. The main Frame Size for NTSC DVD-Video is 720 x 480. There are a few smaller ones allowed, but they are not that common.

What sort of customization do you wish? For DVD-Video, it's basically 720 x 480 Standard (4:3 w/ PAR = 0.9), or Widescreen (16:9 w/ PAR = 1.2). The Audio can either be PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, or DVD-compliant DD AC3, in stereo, or DD 5.1 SS (not available from PrE) as the Primary, or one of the allowed Supplement Audio formats, like DTS.

Not much to customize, but then I must just be missing something. Can you tell us more, please?

Good luck,

Hunt

Here is the list of presets Adobe Premiere Elements Offers:

Adobe Premiere Elements is limited to the following presets for the NTSC projects

AVCHD Lite 720p24

AVCHD lite 720p30

AVCHD Lite 720p60

Full HD 1080i 30

Full HD 1080i 30 5.1 channel

HD 1080i 30

HD 1080i 30 5.1 channel

DSLR 1080p24

DSLR 1080p30

DSLR 100p30 @ 29.97FPS

DSLR 640x480p60

DSLR 720p24

DSLR 720p24 @ 23.976

DSLR 720p60

DV Standard 48kHz

Dv Widescreen 48kHz

Flip Mino and Ultra 29_97p 640x480

Flip Mino and Ultra 30p 640 x 480

Flip Mino HD and UltraHD 29_97 1280 x 720

Flip Mini HD and UltraHD 30p 1280 x 720

Full HD 1080i 30 1920x 1080i

HD 1080i 30 (60i)

Standard 48Khz

Widescreen 48Khz

HDV 1080i 30

HD 720p 30

• 32. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Check out the DV Standard & DV Widescreen for NTSC. I think that you will find that they are 720 x 480.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 33. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at the NTSC DV Standard Preset:

NTSC_DV.png

I still think that I am missing something important here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 34. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                                                            thebouncer2010 Level 1

Maybe I am missing something..... let me try that setting and I will get back to you

• 35. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                                                              thebouncer2010 Level 1

Bill, I think we are onto something....

In preview mode of PRE the words are fuzzy also in the beginning of the video I have vertical black bars on the right and left hand sides then it disappears after the video has been zoomed in and out again which is really strange as I did not resize the video capture area in Camtasia Studio.

I burned a DVD anyways and tested it i can now see the text clearly (yay finally that problem is resolved (this was also on an lcd flatscreen tv 32") need to try it on a regular TV as well. Also seems fairly clear on the pc but intial few seconds before a zoom in and zoom out it appears the frame was vetically stretched.

Their are black vertical lines on both sides and the top and the bottom are cut off to the point where you can only see half of the taskbar, the top has the top of the my documents folder cut off this is when it is played on a LCD TV. When played on the PC it seems to resize after zooming in and then after the zoom out (maybe this is an artifact created by Camtasia ?....

The video is not jittery on the PC until after zooming out (back to normal size )completes then the icons look like their "vibrating" or jumping up and down...

• 36. Re: Premiere Elements DVD looks awful
                                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

For the black bars (vertical black bars are called "pillarboxed"), there is an mis-match somewhere, such as between your Source Footage and your Project Preset.

For instance, if one has a DV Widescreen Project (16:9 w/ PAR = 1.2), and then Import and use DV Standard (4:3 w/ PAR = 1.2), there will be black bars on the left and right. If the situation was reversed, then one would have black bars at the top & bottom for Widescreen Source Footage in a Standard Project.

For more info on PAR, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt