15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2011 3:27 PM by the_wine_snob

Stop Motion

SonarBuddy

I have a Widows Vista computer, and I'm trying to sreate a stop-motion video. I have taken 5089 pictures, and I don't know how to create a stop-motion with them.

I know how to use the 'create slideshow' function, but when I use that, the video ends up very jumpy. I would like to know if there is a way to import the pictures and apply union-skinning to them.

I know that when you take pictures by hooking your camera up to the computer, you can easily make a clean stop-motion with onion-skinning, but is there any way to do it with pictures that I already have?

Thanks,

Joshua

P.S. I have Adobe Premiere Elements 1, 2, 4, 7, 9, and 10

• 1. Re: Stop Motion
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, size those photos to 640x480 pixels. That's video resolution size.

Then set up a project for DV video and, before you bring the photos into the project, go to Edit/Preferences and set the Still Duration to 1 frame.

Then, ideally with your photos named in alpha numeric order (so that they'll be listed in the order you want them to appear), use Get Media/From Files and Folders to get the photos into your project, then drag them from the Project/Media panel to the timeline.

And, voila! You're done.

Don't forget to press Enter to render the timeline before you play it back!

• 2. Re: Stop Motion
            nealeh Level 5

Here's a discussion with a link to a finished video:

Helpful AnswerRe: stop motion primer? (stupid newbie question)

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Stop Motion
              SonarBuddy Level 1

But, what I want do do is to add onion skining to the stop-motion clip.

I know how to create a slideshow, but I'm trying to create a stop-motion.

• 4. Re: Stop Motion
                SonarBuddy Level 1

By the way, thanks Nealeh. I've already seen that discussion.

• 5. Re: Stop Motion
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You have gotten some very good recs.. For most of my Stop-Motion, I have ended up with a Still Duration of about 3 - 5 Frames. However, it really depnds on the frequency of your Stills, and also the subject matter. I would set up a little test, with just a few of your Stills, and experiment with the Stills Duration, until you are happy. That will then be what you will set for the Stills Duration. I also usually use a Cross-Dissolve between the Still Images, so that setting must be adjusted way down too. Whether you use a Transition will depend on the look that you want to achieve.

Others like the longer Duration, as it gives the video a bit of a Mr. Bill Show look. It just depends on what you are looking for - could be as short as that 1 Frame, or perhaps many Frames longer. That is up to you.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Especially with the number of Still Images, that you are talking about, Scaling them to exactly the Frame Size of the Project will be helpful. First, PS, or PSE, will use better Scaling algorithms, so quality will actually be a bit better, and second, with 5000+ Images, you do not want the program, and your computer, to have to handle many extra pixels - that increases the overhead of the Project. Good call by Steve.

[Edit] Oops, looks like you were answering Neale, while I was typing. Sorry, and just disregard the above.

Now, the term "onion skinning" has many uses in many programs, and I am not exactly how you are using it relative to PrE. Can you give a bit more detail on your needs? THX.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added Edit

• 6. Re: Stop Motion
                    SonarBuddy Level 1

By onion skinning, I mean a fade from one picture to the next.

• 7. Re: Stop Motion
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How many frames per second? Obviously, you can't have a dissolve between images if they're only one frame long each.

• 8. Re: Stop Motion
                        SonarBuddy Level 1

Anywhere between 5 and 15 FPS

• 9. Re: Stop Motion
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, in that context, it's essentially what I do with the Cross-Dissolves (just have to set the Duration equal to, or less than the chosen Stills Duration. It's obviously not the same as "Tweens" in cell-animation, but can look pretty good.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Stop Motion
                            SonarBuddy Level 1

That appears to work... Except for one thing. Usually onion-skinning has multiple pictures displayed at the same time. (example below)

Picture A 100%

Picture B 50%, Picture A, 50%

Picture C 50%, Picture B, 35% Picture A, 15%

Picture D 50%, Picture C, 35% Picture B, 15%

Picture E 50%, Picture D, 35% Picture C, 15%

• 11. Re: Stop Motion
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, that is getting closer to the more common usage of the term.

First, to do real onion skinning in PrE will be tedious, but can be done. It is MUCH easier in Adobe Flash, and with a Script, can be done in Adobe After Effects too. Saw that Script recently.

In PrE, you will want to first turn OFF the display of Audio Tracks. Even if you're going to use them later, turn OFF their display now. You want at least two Video Tracks, and having them one above the other, with no Audio Track in between will benefit you.

Now, after you have decided on the Duration, that works for you, start with the first Clip, and create a "Ramp" with Keyframes for Opacity, so that you go from somewhere between 0% and say 10% (experiment here, but I am guessing at 10%), then rapidly up to 100%, and then down to the desired %, say 10%. Now, Rt-Click on that Clip, with the Keyframed Opacity, and choose Copy. Next, Select all other Clips, Rt-Click and choose Paste Attributes, so that each now has that same Keyframed Ramp for Opacity. This is where the hard work begins. You will want to alternate Clip 1 on Video Track 1, then Move Clip 2 to Video Track 2, and nudge it, so that it overlaps Clip 1, by the Duration of that Opacity Ramp. Clip 3 is still on Video Track 1, so you only need to nudge it, until its Ramp aligns with the Ramp on Clip 2. Clip 4 will need to go to Video Track 2, and be nudged along too. Rinse and repeat.

I recommend working at a very high zoom level on the Timeline, and would also do vertical zoom (click+drag on the boundary of the Video Tracks to expand them) on the Tracks too. Leave Clip Keyframe Display on, to help you align the Clips, alternating between those on Video Track 1 and Video Track 2. Be patient.

If you have access to Adobe After Effects, I will try to find that Script, that basically automates the Track (Layer in AE) and the displacement of the Clips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Stop Motion
                                SonarBuddy Level 1

I do have the Adobe After Effects CS3, and Adobe Flash Proffesional CS5.

• 13. Re: Stop Motion
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, Flash does Onion Skinning, and creates Tweens from the Stil lmages, that will be referred to as Keyframes (somewhat different than Keyframes in PrE, or PrPro).

Here is the code for the Script to Onion Skin in AE. I have never used it, and do not know if it's version-specific. Test carefully:

{

var activeItem = app.project.activeItem;  

// make sure a Comp is currently active

if (activeItem == null || !(activeItem instanceof CompItem)){

alert("Select one layer before running this script");

} else {

// make sure one layer is selected

if (activeItem.selectedLayers.length != 1) {

alert("Select one layer before running this script");

} else {        

var theLayer = activeItem.selectedLayers[0];

// create duplicate layer, offset startTime by 1 frame, set blending mode, set opacity

var theNewLayer = theLayer.duplicate();     

theNewLayer.startTime = theNewLayer.startTime - activeItem.frameDuration;

theNewLayer.blendingMode = BlendingMode.MULTIPLY;

theNewLayer.opacity.setValue(50);

// repeat for second duplicate

theNewLayer = theLayer.duplicate();        

theNewLayer.startTime = theNewLayer.startTime + activeItem.frameDuration;

theNewLayer.blendingMode = BlendingMode.MULTIPLY;

theNewLayer.opacity.setValue(50);     

}

}

}

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Stop Motion
                                    SonarBuddy Level 1

Thanks Bill! I have never used After Effects before, so I'm kind of lost, but I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out. So, I guess APE doesn't just have a regular onion skin button for imported pictures?

• 15. Re: Stop Motion
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

No, there is no Onion Skin function in either PrE, or PrPro. The only ones that come to my mind are in Adobe Flash, at least up to the Studio 8 version, which is the last that I have (think it was still MacroMedia then), and then Photoshop-Extended. For a different use (not in animation), Corel Painter has one, but with a different purpose. I am sure that many animation programs do have the function, at one level, or another, but just cannot recall which ones.

Good luck,

Hunt