8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2011 5:03 AM by komtol RSS

Enable the search for a site made with director

Jhon Carlo Community Member

How can I index for google a site made with Director? (dcr File).

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Enable the search for a site made with director
          jchunick Community Member

Google certainly cannot crawl your site 'pages' because there are none.

The best you can do is use Google's site submission process to submit your site. However, again, when the Google spider goes to crawl it there'll be nothing. That's why I would never create a whole site in Director... well, that's one of the reasons and pretty good one if all you need is one. I would use Director as I would Flash to add interactive/animated content to a website such as a "featured" section on the site - and even this can now be done using HTML5 and other scripting or cross browser frameworks/technologies such as JQuery which, IMHO, are much better solutions.

• 2. Re: Enable the search for a site made with director

A last question, if I have a first html page from which I access with a button to the dcr (shockwave) file that contains all the data on my site, this is enough to be found by search engines?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Enable the search for a site made with director
              komtol Community Member

Ofcourse, with a small description-text of the dcr-content containing the most important keywords. You can use a frame-image as html- background. You can embed a movie directly, a small one perhaps, from which you can go to a greater stage later....

• 4. Re: Enable the search for a site made with director

Thanks a lot Komtol. A further clarification, can I hide in the first html page the keywords? I mean putting the keywors that can't see. If yes, how. (I'm not very expert in html).

Thank you again.

• 5. Re: Enable the search for a site made with director

Maybe I need to clarify my last question.

The keywords can be contained only in the following statement html in my first page of my site?

<meta name="keywords" content="">

Or I really need to bring up the text of the keywords in the html page for exemple in my bio and so on?

Thank you.

• 6. Re: Enable the search for a site made with director
                    komtol Community Member

Yes, the search-engines control whether the keywords are really representative for the content of the html-side. So if you don´t want to inform the user of the dcr-content in advance with an overview, you may hide the text (white textcolor etc.).

(I find it helpful to get a hint of what the movie is about instead of having to scroll through and wasting time in case the content is not interesting for me - often the title alone is not precise enough. Compare the movies with a comment and without one at youtube, vimeo etc. You see that for many people the keywords in the title of the movie-file suffice.)

• 7. Re: Enable the search for a site made with director

Thanks again Komtol but in my explanation I was not clear.

I would like to structure my page like this:

1) first html page with keywords (<meta name="keywords" content="">)

This page has a graphic background (image with different colors!);

2) a button sends to the file dcr were are all my data.

If it becomes necessary for the search engine to enter my data (biography, etc..) on the first page (html) become repetitive because they are also present in the DCR  section. So I would need, if the data must appear in the html page, to make them invisible. At this point there is a possibility to make the text invisible (transparent?) in the first html page, over a background which is not uniform?

Sorry for my bad english and thank you very much again.

• 8. Re: Enable the search for a site made with director
                        komtol Community Member

In my opinion two or three keywords might suffice: your name and s.th. like "biography" or "portfolio" (if you want that the whole world can find your biography with your name) not your actual  biographical data itself.

Don´t know how many browsers can set text to transparent meanwihle. "Hidden" is also hidden for search engines.

An example for dcr containing html with and without button and with a minimum of text: http://titanpad.com/QnWsz5nZtk

The most simple way to publish a portfolio is to write an e-mail "yourname"@posterous.com with the dcr-file attached!!! - and you own a blog named  "www.posterous.com/yourname" in no time - for free.

example: http://ardigi.posterous.com/designaspekte (german only)

For a portfolio (of a professional in the digital domain) it is better to consider jchunks hints and use state of the art tools.

I myself consider free web 2.0 tools as always state of the art in the ever changing tool-world, and feel free to use programms I like to work with.....

Thank you too for your question, because I´ve clearified s.th. for my own now.