4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2011 1:52 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 10: DVD menue does not work on stand alone player, Folder Open_DVD\Sources

ES_1967

Hallo,

I have prepared a project with Premiere elements 10 using 1440*1080 video clips with some menue markers and a menue structure. The encoded DVD structure has the folders VIDEO_TS (as usual) and OpenDVD which is new for me and which obvoisely contains some important information.

Playing the DVD with Windows Media Center everything is good. Using a stand allone player the menue will not be played properly, the aspect ratio is not correct and there is no navigation possible. I have tested the DVD in an electronic market with a lot of players and found only one or two which were able to play the DVD. My questions:

How to generate a DVD which consists only of the folder VIDEO_TS with all menue information included and which is compatible to a standard DVD player? (which settings)

What is the OpenDVD folder?

Thank you for yur response, best regards

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 10: DVD menue does not work on stand alone player, Folder Open_DVD\Sources
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The OPENDVD folder is just for PrE, and shoud not affect playability of the disc, as a player (hardware, or software) will look ONLY for the VIDEO_TS folder.

Now, it appears that you are starting with a 1440 x 1080 Project, and is it safe to assume that it's Anamorphic with a PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) of 1.333?

That means that you probably used an HD Menu Set. Is that correct?

WMP probably scaled things to match, where the set-top player is not doing that.

I would step back, and from your 1440 x 1080 Project, remove Menu Sets, and then Export/Share to DV-AVI w/ 48KHz 16-bit Audio. Then, start a New Project, choosing the DV Widescreen NTSC (if in NTSC-land), and Import that DV-AVI. Do the Menu Sets and Chapter Markers there. Then, the DVD should play just fine.

Also, using high-quality blank media, such as Falcon Pro, Verbatim or Taiyo-Yuden, will go a long way on insuring playability.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 10: DVD menue does not work on stand alone player, Folder Open_DVD\Sources
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For more info on the OpenDVD folder, see this Muvipix THREAD.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere Elements 10: DVD menue does not work on stand alone player, Folder Open_DVD\Sources
              ES_1967 Level 1

Hello,

thanks for the good response. I You are right, I used a HD Menue set. Following your recomendation, I replaced this HD-Menue set in my 1440x1080 project by a SD-Menue set. The encoded DVD now contains the menue as expected but the aspect ratio is still wrong on the stand allone DVD player. The reason for this seams to be the project settings with 1440x1080 pixels, PAR=1.333). These setting can not be changed for a running project, they can only be defined for a new project. Correct?

The following is confusing me:

As I had HD video material I decided to start with project settings in accordance to the original resolution. This seems to be a good approach because Premiere has to render only some changed parts of the clips to provide the preview and so it is very fast. Following this approch I desided to use a HD menue set and encoded the project to a DVD. This was possible without any warning or error message.

Now I learned that a HD menue set can not be used in a DVD. It would be very helpfull if there would be a error message in this case.

Is my current understanding correct, that I have to define the resolution / PAR of the project in accordance to the wanted final product (in my case DVD)? Or is there any possibility to change these settings for a running project?

My problem is that I usually record videos in high resolution (1440 or 1920 pixel wide is possible) and I have to encode the project to both DVD and a high resolution format.

Thanks and best regards.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 10: DVD menue does not work on stand alone player, Folder Open_DVD\Sources
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Your Project Preset should match your Source Footage, as close as is possible.

If you are going to DVD, one workflow would be to Import and edit your 1440 Anamorphic material in a matching Project. Then, when done, Export/Share to DV-AVI, create a new DV Project (SD), Import that DV-AVI file into it, and do all of the authoring there, then burn to disc, for the DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt