• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not use the clone stamp tool because the area to clone has not been defined

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2011 Nov 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Freshly installed Elements 10.  Can not use the option-mouse click to define an area for the clone stamp.  The error I get is:

Could not use the clone stamp tool because the area to clone has not been defined (option-click to define a source point).

New Mac Mini.  Had the same problems in Elements 9 so I installed the 10 trial.  Is this a key binding error?  Did not have this issue with Elements 9 on my Mac Air or my Windows 7 system. 

I'm not a newbie and know how to use the clone tool.  I won't say I'm an expert so if it's something related to layers please throw out some ideas.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Yeah, it sounds like a layers issue.  If the area you're using to define the clone source is a transparent area on one of your layers, it won't work.  Keep the Layers Palette open, and ensure you're using the image area (and not the mask area) -- if the image area of the layer is active, it will have a border around it.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it sounds like a layers issue.  If the area you're using to define the clone source is a transparent area on one of your layers, it won't work.  Keep the Layers Palette open, and ensure you're using the image area (and not the mask area) -- if the image area of the layer is active, it will have a border around it.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2011 Nov 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If working on layered documents make sure you have sample all layers checked on the options bar. Otherwise keep the clone tool selected and choose reset tool from the dropdown menu on the left.clone-pse10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Thank you this also helped me with the same problem 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did it.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2012 Feb 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem came back up.  I hadn't used PSE since last November and was frustrated to run into it again.  I don't think it's a layers issue afterall.

I use a wireless keyboard and mouse on Mini and mouse on Air, although keyboard for Air is upstairs at a desk with monitor for occasional use.  Regardless blue tooth is on for these devices.  Problem exists.  Turn bluetooth off on Air and the problem is gone.  It must be related to option key when bluetooth is on, I guess some different mapping.  Even when I have bluetooth on and try to use Option key on the Air keyboard it does not work.

So now where do I look for configs to check?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2012 May 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

start to close apps you may have open...i was having problems forever with this to the point where i wiped my drive and reinstalled from scratch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgBYJHY7Nas

6one3design

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I achieved success by holding the Option key while clicking the mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines