11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2011 9:30 AM by John T Smith

No Sound when Importing Sony FS100 1080 60P LCPM files

Keith Moreau Level 1

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I thought I'd ask.

Just got my new FS100 today, love it. However no sound in Premiere Pro 5.5.2 Mac. Some research has indicated that Premiere Pro doesn't like the AVCHD 60P + LPCM combo, it just thinks theres no sound track. Is there some setting or something I can do? I'd really lie LPCM sound vs Dolby Digital compress audio.

Thanks for any advice

• 2. Re: No Sound when Importing Sony FS100 1080 60P LCPM files
          Keith Moreau Level 1

Thanks John, I haven't yet tested it but apparently 5.5 fixes this, however, it's possible there is still a problem with 60P footage, which is what I'm using. When I have time I'll test a bit. In the meantime, if there is anybody else in this situation or with any additional info, please chime in.

• 3. Re: No Sound when Importing Sony FS100 1080 60P LCPM files
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try 1080i and see if that works... and a previous message

1080/50p or 1080/60p NOT to BluRay http://forums.adobe.com/message/3636265

-Premiere Pro will edit, but NOT part of the BluRay specification

• 4. Re: No Sound when Importing Sony FS100 1080 60P LCPM files
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Keith,

When you import the footage, does the clip icon show as a movie (filmstrip and speaker) or just video (filmstrip only)? If the former, do the waveforms appear or are they just flatlined?

Also, would it be possible to shoot a teeny-tiny clip (5-10 seconds), and zip up the entire AVCHD folder so I could play with it? Shoot me a PM if that's possible, and if you need an upload location. I might be able to cook up a workaround for you...

• 5. Re: No Sound when Importing Sony FS100 1080 60P LCPM files
                Keith Moreau Level 1

Hi Colin, the clips are just the video icon, there is no audio in the file (from PP's point of view). I'll PM you with a link to a short clip you can download

John: Do you mean, try 1080i recording on the FS100? I can, but I would never, ever record on 1080i unless I had to. However I will test a few formats when I have time to test and will post the results.

• 6. Re: No Sound when Importing Sony FS100 1080 60P LCPM files
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks Keith--downloading now.

Just to verify: I see the download is just the MTS file, but are you maintaining the AVCHD structure completely when importing the clips? Historically, Pr has been pretty finicky about AVCHD support, more-or-less requiring that the folder and file structure as created by the camera be preserved on your hard drive. This isn't just a Pr failing, necessarily--the AVCHD format puts some critical information (e.g. timecode) into other files in the structure that aren't a part of the AV stream.

I'll poke a stick at this file and let you know what I find--thanks!

• 7. Re: No Sound when Importing Sony FS100 1080 60P LCPM files
                    Keith Moreau Level 1

Hi Colin

I did another test shoot, with a few clips at 1080 60P, the rest at 1080 60P with Dolby Audio, and 1080 30P with LPCM Audio. Again the 60P LPCM clips didn't import audio, the others worked fine in PPro.

Nothing really on my mac can play these files, and I have a LOT of players, however I have a great program called 'ClipWrap' which I use to create Quicktime files from non-quicktime files so that utilities or apps that can only read Quicktime files (ie FCP) work. It was able to wrap the files as well as create a new LPCM track, so the audio is there, just most apps aren't smart enough to know it's there. In a pinch I can now extract the audio tracks from those files in a number of ways, using Quicktime Pro Player, or even iin PPro (however Premiere Pro doesn't seem to like the 'wrapped' MTS files, I think it tries to play them with the Quicktime decoder which isn't able to play that level of H.264 very well.)

I think I saw another post where somebody was complaining about 50P footage audio from a NEX type camcorder not importing with Premiere Pro, so I suspected it was a problem, but it was an old post prior to 5.5.2.

Verdict: Most FS100 LPCM works fine, but PPro should add support for the 60P variety in the next release. If you find out anything else, please let me know, and that's for your kind help.

-Keith

PS: Yes, Colin I did import tha the whole AVCHD structure. Not sure if it matters on non-spanned clips to do that, but I import the whole structure at a time just to make sure. By the way, I don't think PPro handles spanned 60P files well either. You may know this, but stupidly, the AVCHD standard doesn't force the last GOP in a file to be complete in a set of spanned files. It just cuts them in the middle and starts writing the next file in the middle. For knowing how to span correctly you really do need the entire structure including the meta files to tell the app to join them together. Other long GOP codecs, such as XDCAM EX, write a complete GOP at the end of each file, even if the files are spanned. This allows you to 'drag' just one file and be assured that it won't have corrupted stuff at the end or beginning of a file. With PPro, with my 60P files (I also use a Panasonic TM700 and TM900 in 60P mode all the time) PPro doesn't join them properly. Not sure if it does it right with non 60P AVCHD files. Since 60P AVCHD isn't really a standard (or wasn't - maybe now it is), I don't necessarily blame them, luckily the corruption on spanned clips hasn't yet been an irreparable sitation. If I really needed something at the break point, I think I'd use my Clipwrap or other methods to join the clips.

Message was edited by: Keith Moreau - added the PS

• 8. Re: No Sound when Importing Sony FS100 1080 60P LCPM files
                      Colin-B Level 1

Keith, can you send me a link to your file aswell. I'd like to do a low-level investigation of the audio stream. Thanks.

• 9. Re: No Sound when Importing Sony FS100 1080 60P LCPM files
                        Keith Moreau Level 1

Sure, check your inbox. Thanks for helping out.

• 10. Re: No Sound when Importing Sony FS100 1080 60P LCPM files
                          Colin-B Level 1

I've checked out your file Keith (see your email inbox).

The audio is no different to that from a 30p file, so it's a mystery why PPro ignores the audio stream - Elements seems to do the same.

I think you ought to report it as a PPro bug.