2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2011 4:08 AM by Colin Flashman

Dynamic Fields and Images

jogoeire

Hi Folks,

I have to prepare some PDFs using indesign that will be used for Invoices. Our developers want to be able to add the logo and certain fields dynamically. I wanted to find out is there anything special i need to know to do to make the fields and logo updateable dynamically in the output PDF. What is this topic even under? Would it be a scripting thing? I tried Googling around to find answers but had no luck.

Just to give you an example of what I mean by dynamic fields.... i might have a field title "Surname" with text box alongside. My developers should be able to insert the correct surname into that text box when displaying the PDF

Thanks for your help community!

• 1. Re: Dynamic Fields and Images
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not sure I understand what you are doing, but I suspect this is not something that ID can do. Are you trying to export a single PDF and have it populate itself automatically with variable data of some sort?

ID can add logos and populate fields using Data Merge BEFORE yo make the PDF, but not after. You might want to ask about this over in the Acrobat forum to see what might be doable with a script or something over there.

• 2. Re: Dynamic Fields and Images
            Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

is the PDF generated in indesign going be used as a graphic for the Management Information System (MIS) to put data over the top of, or are "the developers" attempting to use indesign as a database query tool?

indesign's data merge has limited capabilities and using it as a "back end" to generate invoices is something that IMHO is beyond its scope.

can the OP please give more information so that a more properly formed answer can be given?