6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2011 9:54 AM by tristansummers

Any way to make AI import obey project frame rate?

tristansummers Level 1

HI

apologies if this has been asked before but the search facility does not seem to be after effects only focussed.

I keep getting caught out by 1080P dimensioned AI files always being imported as 29.97 fps even though my import prefs and Project settings are 25 fps.

Is there a way I can hack this into working

(freelance at a place with version CS5 today)

Tristan

• 1. Re: Any way to make AI import obey project frame rate?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Adobe Illustrator files are still images.  They don't have a frame rate. 

Assuming you have AE Preferences set up to assign a still image's duration to the length of the comp, what happens when you add a single AI layer to an existing comp?  How long is that layer?  Can you make that layer's out point longer than it currently is?

If you can't, something's rotten in Denmark, and you'll need to provide more details about your AI files and how you import them.

• 2. Re: Any way to make AI import obey project frame rate?
            tristansummers Level 1

erm

I understand that there are many novice users on this forum that you have to accomodate Sir, but even so this is a rather oblique answer.

Obviously I am talking about importing an AI file as a composition.

I do not need to provide more details.

the question is, "How can I get After Effects to import an AI as a composition and match the settings set in Import preferences and Project settings so I don't have to manually change it every time"

it seems that 29.97 is hard wired.

Is it an Interpret Footage Preferences setting I can alter based on frame size?

Tristan

• 3. Re: Any way to make AI import obey project frame rate?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

A shrivelled old man near a fire in aa deep dark forest once told me that it's an effin' bug...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Any way to make AI import obey project frame rate?
                tristansummers Level 1

Ah

Thanks

I like bugs.

They make my Old Friend After Effects more human.

The best nugs are the ones people have found cures for though.

Tris

• 5. Re: Any way to make AI import obey project frame rate?
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you create a new comp it should follow the last composition that you created. IOW, create a new NTSC D1 Comp that's 30 seconds long and the next new comp you create will be the same.

When you import an Illustrator or Photoshop file as a Composition the frame size, if it's a standard frame size, sets the frame rate of the composition. IOW, Import a PSD that 720 X 480 as a comp and it will come in as a DV comp with a frame rate of 29.97. Import a file as a comp that's pal frame size and it should come in as a PAL composition at 25 fps.

I haven't looked but I suspect that this may be set somewhere deep in the preferences file. You can edit the prefs file with a text editor. Someone smarter than me may be able to tell you where the setting is, or you may be able to find it by doing a search of the prefs file.

• 6. Re: Any way to make AI import obey project frame rate?
                    tristansummers Level 1

Yes.

thing is I live in PALville so never create 29.97 comps.

It seems odd that the default for 1080 would be 29.97 but not surprising, I just wish I could overwrite it.

May want to change that to 24 for BluRay.

It always used to be in the Interpret footage Prefs file, but things are somewhat different these days so I never know where to look.

Maybe it's time to start selling PAL versions, or have a global PAL default.

Or, more importantly, as I am suggesting by posting this in the first place, make everything follow project/import settings.

respectfully thanks sirs