4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2011 11:51 AM by Szalam

MTS FILES in AE CS5.5 MAC Snow Leopard

ArkaPro

Works very slow ond import.

when I convert to QT ProRes with same setting it runs smoothly... any thoughts?

Should I convert My entire footage? its a big project...?

• 1. Re: MTS FILES in AE CS5.5 MAC Snow Leopard
          marian.ene Level 2

see my post on audio conforming http://forums.adobe.com/thread/924561?tstart=0

and yes, you should convert anyway, mts is not a post friendly format, using it in a comp slows you all the way, not just on import

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: MTS FILES in AE CS5.5 MAC Snow Leopard
            ArkaPro Level 1

But in Premiere it runs in real time? I thought that if it runs in RT in premiere can can easly do a RAM PREVIEW....

+

To Which format is it best to convert?

QT PRO RES 422?

MPEG with same settings?

• 3. Re: MTS FILES in AE CS5.5 MAC Snow Leopard
              marian.ene Level 2

don't know much about how Premiere and AE access access the footage, but I'm pretty sure it's different engines - Premiere uses Mercury Playback Engine http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and-adobe- premiere-pro.html which is not available in AE.

Now, for a few things that might impact performance with previews and renders in AE:

-if you use highly compressed footage (like mts or MPEG or H.264) it takes longer to load your project. If you have MP enabled, AE starts background copies of itself and every copy must load the project again - so, if you have 4 additional threads enabled, every time you hit RAM preview or render, AE must load your project 4 times. That's why I usually have MP off for previews, only enable it for renders.

- When doing a RAM preview, AE must decode your footage into RAM as uncompressed representation of your video, at the quality settings for the preview - lower quality thus means longer previews. The speed of the preview depends on the speed of decoding. From experience, clips with inter-frame compression (the ones that have a setting for "keyframe every x seconds", like H.264 or MPEG2 or the likes of Xvid) take longer.

- obviously the size of the files matters too, so if you would transcode your footage to QT uncompressed that would also slow you down.

In conclusion, if it's a project that requires a decent amount of work hours, transcoding your footage might save you some time and headache. I use Avid DNxHD, but ProRes 422 HQ should do too, it's a good compromise between file size and quality. Just don't use MPEG. Also, if you don't need audio from the footage, just discard it.

P.S. mts is actually MPEG2, with some restrictions applied at encoding - just like DVD files.

• 4. Re: MTS FILES in AE CS5.5 MAC Snow Leopard
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ArkaPro wrote:

But in Premiere it runs in real time? I thought that if it runs in RT in premiere can can easly do a RAM PREVIEW....

Nope. To borrow a bit from a post by Rick Gerard:

Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas, Final Cut, Avid, are all NLE's (Non Linear Editors) and they are specifically designed to playback a video stream.

After Effects, Flame, Fusion, Shake -- are all pixel based image processing applications that act very much like Photoshop. They calculate the values of every pixel in every frame, come up with a new pixel, and then play those pixels back as a video stream. More importantly, AE and all the other pixel based compositing apps, always work internally with completely uncompressed pixel data. NLE's rely on codecs and, in some cases, hardware, to play back the video. It's an entirely differnet way of working with moving images.

1 person found this helpful