7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2011 8:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Save As in Title

ssccuubbaattvv Level 1

We talked about this before, using "New Title Based on Current Title" to rename a Title.

I'm not able to take a Title and save it under a different name in the same directory.

When I save a title using "New Title Based on Current Title' I don't even know where CS5.5 saves the file (yet) but it's certainly not saved in the same directory as you would get with the regular "save as" in Windows. Meaning, the currrent directory the Title is in.

This feature seems to be very necessary when editing (at least I use it a lot). Am I missing something here. I just want to save a Title in the same directory under a different name.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Save As in Title
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Titles are all internal to a Premiere Pro project; there's never any reason to export one unless you want to transfer it to another system. Even going from project to project, it's easier to use templates instead of exported/imported titles. Check this for more on templates: Choose, create, and import title templates

If you do want to export a title, you do that from the bin/Project Panel. Select the Title clip, and go to File > Export > Title; pick your save location and go. You can import it into another project then.

• 2. Re: Save As in Title
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not quite sure what your question is but If you want to save a title to your hdd, select title in Project Window then go to File / Export / Title.

Colin types a bit faster then i do

• 3. Re: Save As in Title
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Boom!

• 4. Re: Save As in Title
                ssccuubbaattvv Level 1

Yeah. I understand. I think. Thanks.

Seems a bit more involved than what I'm currently doing.

Basically, I have an existing Title designed "formatted" with fonts and stuff. The photo in the title is the only thing that changes. So I open up the title, swap out the photo and SAVE AS with a new name in the same directory on my HD that the other titles are saved.

Using this technique, I can quickly acclimate a list of titles with individual photos and names without doing the formatting again. 

This workflow is straight forward in Pro 1.5.

Open existing title, make changes, Save As (Ctrl + Shift +S), opens the folder where the existing title was stored along with the name, I change the name of the title and save.

Save as is an integral part of Windows. It's used a lot. Not sure why this feature is not more useful to other in Premiere.

• 5. Re: Save As in Title
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm completely not following you. I don't understand the need to export/save out a title, especially if you're working in one project. All titles are saved IN the project file, so that's what "New Title Based on Current Title" does.

• 6. Re: Save As in Title
                    Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Only a guess, but you are either not dealing with titles at all, or you are actually "saving as" your PR project.

Basically, I have an existing Title designed "formatted" with fonts and stuff. The photo in the title is the only thing that changes. So I open up the title, swap out the photo and SAVE AS with a new name in the same directory on my HD that the other titles are saved.

Are you saying this is what you are doing in CS5?

The "new title based on current title" does not require, nor allow, a save as operation. When you click that option, it opens a box inside Premiere where you give the new title a name. It is saved ONLY within the project file structure.

Yes, it was different in the past. It works fine now, once you realize you don't need to "save as" outside the project.

• 7. Re: Save As in Title
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As has been mentioned, Titles are actually inside of the PRPROJ file, as XML code, with all necessary instructions included. When you Create New, Based on... more XML code is written, and the name that you apply to that New, Based on... is linked.

Now, to get a physical Title, Saved to the HDD, for use in multiple Projects, you are then Saving a Title Template. This is a physical file, ourtside of your Project. The format will be PRTL, and if you Save that Template into a sub-folder in say your Adobe\Premiere Pro\[Version Number]\Templates folder, it will then be readily available when you choose New Title>Based on Template>User Templates, for any/all Projects. When you use one of your Templates, you can still make any changes needed, such as Text, additons of Images, etc.. Note: PRTL's can only be opened and used in PrPro.

Once you understand Titles (in the Project) and Title Templates, using them will become much easier, and almost second nature. Whenever I create a Title, that might have future use, the first thing that I do is Save it as a Template.

Good luck,

Hunt