6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2011 4:11 PM by triggleto79

Printing out a CD booklet help, please

triggleto79

I'm trying to print out a CD booklet (8 PAGES). I understand how to layout the pages (8 on left, 1 on right, etc.), but I've jumped through all the (known) hoops to try and print this on my HP7300 where the pages print out 2-up and, when I turn them over to do the other sides, they're flush/aligned.

I've tried all sorts of settings (books, docs, booklets, using the settings w/in InD, the settings w/in the printer, etc.). I either get two pages that print on one sheet, double-sided that aren't aligned, etc. -- in short, nothing's worked in my hour's worth of trial and error so I lay this conundrum before the InDesign angels.

Thank you to everyone who can help.

g

• 1. Re: Printing out a CD booklet help, please
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You want to print directly from ID to the printer? That should work pretty well, but you need to change a lot of things in your setup.

First is to set up the doc as Facing Pages and in reader spreads (consecutive page order). If you try to impose into printer spreads manually you really should do it on a non-facing doc whose pages are wide enough to hold two panels, and getting it right (and more important, seeing waht it will look like finished) is a pain in the neck.

Once the file is set up as reader spreads, go to File > Print Booklet... (does your printer do automatic two sided printing? If not, things are more complicated, but not impossible, and what you need to do will depend heavily on the OS you use).

The key to easy page alignment when doing booklets is #1, set the printer to print centered on the page, and #2 use a printer that actually CAN print centered. Many inkjets have asymmetric non-printing margins and are not  really suitable for booklet printing. I suspect yours may be one of those. If that's the case, it gets even more complicated, but is probably still doable, but I'd experiment with both centered and left (but vertically centered) page alignments, and you'll probably have to rotate every other spread 180 degrees (you can do this in CS5 by rotating the spread view, and building the pages so the look right on screen), then flip the paper on the other axis so the same edge goes through the printer first on both sides.

• 2. Re: Printing out a CD booklet help, please
            triggleto79 Level 1

Peter, I think you're probably right about the asymmetric non-printing margins on the HP. Still, futzing with the centering didn't work there, either. I tried all centering options and always came up about an inch short.

I've already destroyed a small forest, so I'm going to pick up on this after the weekend.

Do you know if there's a service that would just print out the CD booklet for me? Could Kinkos do that, you think?

And you a gentlemen among gentlemen for helping me out. Thank you very much.

• 3. Re: Printing out a CD booklet help, please

Kinkos can ptobably do it (or Staples or Office Max ...) but be prepared for them to ask you for fro a PDF (perhaps imposed). In my expereince the people who staff places like that don't always have the best grasp of what their equipment can do, and how to set it up, and they may not have the correct version of InDesign (Kinkos is most likey to have it, I would guess) to print from your native files.

What is your  operating system?

• 4. Re: Printing out a CD booklet help, please
                triggleto79 Level 1

Peter --

I'm a  PC guy.

I called Kinkos and they say they have experience in doing this, so I praying for the best.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for all your help. Have a happy thanksgiving.

g

• 5. Re: Printing out a CD booklet help, please

Actually in this case being on PC make your life much easier, if you have Acrobat Pro (which installs the Adobe PDF virtual Printer). You can use Print Booklet to print to PDF using the PDF Printer and you wind up with a nice PDF of imposed spreads that you can duplex manually or hand off to Kinkos if that's what they want. Mac users lost the PDF printer in Snow Leopard.

• 6. Re: Printing out a CD booklet help, please
                    triggleto79 Level 1

Well, dang! Yes, I do have Acrobat Pro. I'll have to try that when I get back to work, Monday.

Thanks!

g