7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2012 11:47 PM by redcrown on guard

CS5/ACR 6.5 adjustment brush error?

redcrown on guard Level 1

I started out trying to do a test/experiment of the ACR adjustment brush and found a strange "bug" maybe?

When I use the ACR adjustment brush and make several different overlapping "strokes" to cover a wide area, the effect appears OK in ACR, but when opened in Photoshop there is a wierd pattern. Hard to describe, but here is a sample:

http://kellyphoto.smugmug.com/photos/i-R3QrQBz/0/XL/i-R3QrQBz-XL.jpg

http://kellyphoto.smugmug.com/photos/i-R3QrQBz/0/XL/i-R3QrQBz-XL.jpg

In that sample, the ACR adjustment brush with a +.75 exposure settings was used to cover all of the color checker, face, and hair using multiple strokes. But if I make the same adjustment using a single stroke, still overlapping, the strange pattern does not appear in Photoshop.

I always get a strange pattern using multiple overlapping strokes, but a different pattern each time, apparently depending on how many strokes I make and how much they overlap.

If I process the same image in ACR using a jpeg or tif copy, I get no error, regardless of how many strokes I make or how much overlap. It only happens on raw (DNG) images.

Original sample image is a DNG Converter RAW from a Canon G12, but I get the same error on similar DNG color checker images I have from from Canon 5D2, 1ds, and 20D. A search of Adobe forums shows only a couple of adjustment brush issues reported recently, but they don't appear to be similar to this issue.

Windows 7 64bit

CS5 version 12.0.1 x64

ACR version 6.5.0.216

• 1. Re: CS5/ACR 6.5 adjustment brush error?
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Hi redcrown -- could you please submit the raw files to me for testing?  You can use YouSendIt.com, dropbox, etc. with email address madmanchan2000@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Eric

• 2. Re: CS5/ACR 6.5 adjustment brush error?

Eric,

One raw file sent to your yahoo address via yousendit.

Link - https://www.yousendit.com/download/T2dmYURHSytUWURMYnNUQw  expires Dec 2, 2011.

Did some further testing and discovered more about the pattern, but still some mystery.

The error appears to occur only when I use multiple, overlapping strokes AND in opposing directions. If I cover an area with multiple strokes, but keep them all horizontal, no error occurs. If I use vertical strokes, no error occurs.

But if I use some horizontal and some vertical strokes, the error occurs. My habit when painting with a brush is to use a lot of small circular strokes in a "scrubbing" fashion. That definitely causes the error.

With this sample image, first cover the color checker with a plus exposure brush (about the size of one color checker square), using several overlapping horizontal strokes. That image looks OK when transferred to Photoshop. Then reopen the raw again in ACR (with the previous adjustment in place) and cover the same area with vertical strokes. Still looks OK in ACR, but when transferred to Photoshop the error appears.

And I was mistaken earlier, the error will also appear if jpegs or tifs are processed in ACR. Just have to use the opposing stroke method.

• 3. Re: CS5/ACR 6.5 adjustment brush error?
              Noel Carboni Level 7

I could not reproduce your problem with your file using Photoshop 12.0.4 and Camera Raw 6.5 (Windows 7 x64). 

Out of curiosity, why did you stay at Photoshop 12.0.1?

-Noel

• 4. Re: CS5/ACR 6.5 adjustment brush error?

Thank you, Nole, for testing this problem.

I'm not surprised that others can not duplicate this error. As I've continued running tests, I've become most suspicious that the error is system related. Perhaps dependent on CPU speed, GPU configuration, or other system parameters. I can consistently generate the error, but no matter how hard I try to make my adjustment brush strokes the same in repeated tests, I never get the exact same results. It "feels" like a timing issue, dependent on how fast I do the brush strokes.

I've made a video to demonstrate the problem as it occurs on my system. The video is high def, so go to 1080 or 720 to better see details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqTziZ8t6Bc

As I mentioned in the video, the only variables that seems to matter are the size of the image and the size of the brush. In my demo, the error does not appear in camera raw. It only becomes visible when the image is moved to Photoshop. But after making the video I discovered that the error is indeed visible in ACR, but only at the 66% view or greater.

My ACR version is current. Had to update recently to get Canon G12 support.

As for Photoshop CS5, I tend to follow the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" strategy, so I have not upgraded yet. Been burned too many times over the years by installing fresh upgrades (mostly Microsoft) before they have survived the test of time by others.

• 5. Re: CS5/ACR 6.5 adjustment brush error?
                  MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Thanks for providing this additional information.  It does have some important clues for us, in helping us to track it down.  I'll be working with my team to figure out what's going on.

Eric

• 6. Re: CS5/ACR 6.5 adjustment brush error?
                    Noel Carboni Level 7

redcrown on guard wrote:

As for Photoshop CS5, I tend to follow the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" strategy, so I have not upgraded yet. Been burned too many times over the years by installing fresh upgrades (mostly Microsoft) before they have survived the test of time by others.

I fully understand and support that strategy.  However, in this particular case I wouldn't be surprised if an update to the main program were to help correct the problem.  Might be something to try.  You know the Adobe developers are probably combining PS 12.0.4 with ACR 6.5 more often than 12.0.1 with 6.5.

-Noel

• 7. Re: CS5/ACR 6.5 adjustment brush error?

For what it's worth, I tried a few adjustment brush tests in the Lightroom 4 beta and did not see the error I had reported here. I imagine that means the new version of ACR in CS6 will be the same - error free.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm not a Lightroom user, just downloaded the beta to see the new "2012 Process." Very impressed with the new tonal controls. That alone will make me an early adopter of CS6. Great job, Adobe.