5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2011 10:23 AM by DaMuleMan

Adjustment Layer is a white solid

DaMuleMan

I am having a very strange issue adding an adjustment layer I can't resolve. I have added adjustment layers thousands of times, but have never had this happen. I am using CS5 and in one of my comps when I add an adjustment layer it appears as a white solid instead of the usual completely transparent adjustment layer. Even when I copy and paste an adjustment layer that is appearing correctly from another layer, that pasted one behaves the same way and simply becomes a white solid. I have quit AE just to see if it was weird hiccup, but that comp still behaves them same way.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what is going on?

• 1. Re: Adjustment Layer is a white solid
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Are you mixing 3D & 2D layers?  Did you recently enable Open GL acceleration?  Has anything changed on your machine?

• 2. Re: Adjustment Layer is a white solid
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure that the adjustment layer icon is turned on. Adjustment layers are white solids until the switch is thrown.

If you get a white solid when you add a new adjusment layer then I'd quit, trash your prefs, and relaunch.

Screen Shot 2011-11-23 at 1.25.42 PM.png

It's the little half circle....

• 3. Re: Adjustment Layer is a white solid
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I tend to agree with Dave - you have probably enabled OpenGL and your graphics card isn't up to snuff without AE detecting this state nd falling back to softwae mode. Couldd also bee tat the effect you are tring to use simply doen't work as n adjustent layer if it has some special requirements of its own. Similarly, you could simply exhaust your graphics system's capabilities...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Adjustment Layer is a white solid
                DaMuleMan Level 1

Thanks for the replies you guys. It's not hardware related Mylenium. My machine was purpose built for AE work and this is a very simple comp that is nothing remotely as intensive as some of the truly complex and effects ladened projects I've done before. It's even simpler than the one in the same project where the other adjustment layer is working properly. The layer is going white before an effect is even being added, so it's not that. I'll double check the OpenGL when I can get back on my machine in a bit, but I never changed anything before changing comps, so I don't think that's it.

I'm guessing that it is probably related to the layer settings itself. There's no 3D layers so it's not that Dave. I'm going to check Rick's idea when I can because the white solid behavior sounds exactly what he is talking about.

• 5. Re: Adjustment Layer is a white solid
                  DaMuleMan Level 1

Thanks Rick. The layer switch was indeed the problem. I had my timeline controls collapsed so I didn't see that the layer under the Adjustment Layer was a duplicate of a layer that was using the layer above as a track matte. I turned that off and all is as it should be.