4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2011 10:48 PM by Powered by Design

Editing synced footage

jaredcruce

I'm not sure how to ask this simply. 

I am editing an interview where I cut back and forth from the talking head to b-roll and 2 cameras.

I shot footage with separate audio.   Dropped the footage and sound into a sequence.  Synced audio with footage.  Now I want to create a final sequence and arrange the clips.  How do I do this?  Since each clip is 2 separate files (1 video / incamera audio and 1 audio file).  I'm not sure how to create inpoints and out points and drop them into a new sequence. 

Does anyone have a workflow they use for this?  I just can't envision how to do it?

thanks,

Jared

• 1. Re: Editing synced footage
          Colin Brougham Level 6

What version of Premiere Pro are you using?

• 2. Re: Editing synced footage
            jaredcruce Level 1

I'm using CS5 and unfortunately it doesn't have the merge clips feature as  CS5.5 seems to have.  Any ideas as to the most effiecient workflow?

jared

• 3. Re: Editing synced footage
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, you can use a sequence as a clip, and edit that into your final sequence--this was the workaround before Merge Clips.

After you've synced up your footage, load your sequence into the Source Monitor--you can drag it in or hold Ctrl/Cmd and double-click in the bin. From there, you can add ins and outs and edit into a target sequence just as though it were a regular clip. You don't have access to all the individual audio channels--a definite benefit of the Merge Clips feature--but from the sounds of it, you don't necessarily need them anyway.

Or... if I'm following you correctly, you're NOT using Multi-camera editing. Is that correct? If so, you might find that to be an easier workflow--edit using the three angles plus the replacement audio, and then you edit chunks of that into a final sequence. I might be misinterpreting your original post, though...

• 4. Re: Editing synced footage