4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2011 9:18 PM by holbrookp

Missing .PSD codec in Premiere Elements 10?

holbrookp

I started a thread a few days ago about my Instantmovies failing to load all the content necessary for the movie, as indicated they should be by the animated thumbnail preview, but that thread is buried several pages away and nobody has responded to it, so I take it nobody will at this point in time, so I'm updating my experience with this one. I have already spent hours online with Adobe tech support, determined that I have all the most updated drivers, etc. (I'm a new user of Premiere Elements 10 and the problem has always been there, even after reinstalling the program.)

What I have to share that's new is that I went searching within my hard drive for the missing content, assuming that the Instantmovie folders I opened in Premiere Elements show me the full content of these folders, even though some content doesn't seem to be there. I found that there's a lot more content in those folders, if I look at them outside of Premiere Elements. Some of the missing files are .PSDs.

When I tried to load one into my project, for a manual insertion into the timeline of a rendered movie, the program refused and gave me a message saying "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed."

So my problem is that the codec SHOULD be intalled but isn't? You reckon that's why the Instantmovies are missing content?

I have Photoshop Elements installed. If it's just a matter of copying a codec from Photoshop Elements and pasting it into a codecs folder of Premiere Elements, where's the codec to be found in the Photoshop Elements folder?

I'm excited that I may be close to solving this agonizing problem.

• 1. Re: Missing .PSD codec in Premiere Elements 10?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This is odd, indeed. PSD's are the native format of Photoshop, and Photoshop Elements.

Now, PSD's can be of a type, that would keep them from loading into PrE, such as being in the CMYK Color Mode. However, if you have found PSD's in the PrE Library content, and those will not load, something is very wrong.

Can you Open one of those problem PSD's, in PS, or PSE, and tell us the full details, like the Color Mode?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Missing .PSD codec in Premiere Elements 10?
            holbrookp Level 1

It's RGB color. When it loaded into Photoshop Elements, I first got the message that the file had been created for viewing on a TV and would load compressed (slightly vertically narrow) and recommended viewing it on a video monitor. Other than that, it loaded fine. Do you need anything other info about the file?

• 3. Re: Missing .PSD codec in Premiere Elements 10?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, that message is telling you that the PSD has non-square pixels, so the display will differ slightly.

There is no real CODEC involved with PSD's, and RGB is what you want.

If PrE cannot Import such a PSD, then there is something wrong with your installation of PrE.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Missing .PSD codec in Premiere Elements 10?
                holbrookp Level 1

That's indeed odd.  My original installation was with the downloaded trial edition. Since the Instantmovies weren't working well, I uninstalled and reinstalled. Same problem, so I uninstalled and installed again from the disk set I bought. And there's been no improvement. So the install packages are the same (as Adobe tech support told me) and I encountered no problems doing the installations.

As you may recall from your other responses to a couple of other minor issues involving Premiere Elements, I'm using a Toshiba Satellite, i3 Intel processor, 4 gigs of RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit.