5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2011 1:46 PM by ECBowen

Windows 7 Vs. Vista using Aero and GPU

medeamajic Level 2

Windows 7 and Windows Vista perform about the same when using 2 monitors with Mercury GPU enabled (one monitor for client previews as opposed to the GUI) and Aero turned OFF. When Windows Aero is ON with GPU they both take a hit in performance but Windows 7 suffers the worst. I don't know if it is because Windows 7 uses themes as opposd to a simple Aero mode. I want to use Windows 7 with Aero but it does not work well. Vista works OK with Aero but it gets a boost when disabled. What gives? I have tried everything I can think of. The Windows Vista system and Windows 7 system are the exact same computer. I have a GT 240 that works well with everything except Windows 7 and Aero. I think I am going to have to keep using Windows Vista even though Windows 7 has some nice features.

• 1. Re: Windows 7 Vs. Vista using Aero and GPU
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I want to use Windows 7 with Aero

Why?

• 2. Re: Windows 7 Vs. Vista using Aero and GPU
            RjL190365 Level 4

Here is the problem with Aero in an editing system:

Aero consumes a lot of system resources that could have been used for programs. As a result, there are less system resources available for programs to use. Think of the Windows OS as a six-lane highway. And think of Aero as a closure of one or two of those six lanes. The fewer available traffic lanes result in a traffic jam. And that traffic jam is made worse by a bunch of vehicles that are always slow to begin with. If you have a weaker CPU such as a Core 2 Quad or an AMD CPU, the already sizable performance hit with Windows Aero is made even bigger.

By the way, can you please tell us the exact CPU (processor) that's currently in the system in question, as well as the amount of RAM that it has?

• 3. Re: Windows 7 Vs. Vista using Aero and GPU
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

For After Effects, we explicitly recommend that Aero be turned off. I don't think that we make that recommendation for Premiere Pro, but I'm not sure of the details there. (I'll ask Steve.)

• 4. Re: Windows 7 Vs. Vista using Aero and GPU
                medeamajic Level 2

The previews look better with Aero enabled but I get less realtime effcts with Aero enabled. It is odd indeed.

• 5. Re: Windows 7 Vs. Vista using Aero and GPU
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Aero changed what handled the memory management for the GPU and is something you want to leave on unless you have a Quadro card and that driver controls the memory management for the video card. Before Aero Memory management for the display was handled by the driver for the video card. One of the benefits the Quadro cards had was they had a driver plugin to isolate memory for applications or frames. The Gaming cards did not have that ability. Aero changed that and took control of that management. The OS now handles the memory management for the GPU/Display which allows the OS to do the frame isolation the Gaming cards did not have before. The downside as there always is one is as RJL states. The Ram shadow is far higher with the Aero on than it is when it's off. So you want to have more than enough system ram to handle that. Aero also improves the interface performance which includes preview once again because the ram management is handled by the OS and the gaming cards did not really have that before.

Eric

ADK