25 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2011 11:06 AM by anon-e-mous

Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9

anon-e-mous

I have a year old Sony laptop with an i7 and 8 gigs of RAM on Windows 7 (64-bit).  More than half the time, Premiere Elements 9 can't play videos properly.  The video plays back in stutter fashion.  Rather than a smooth movie, it looks like it is jumping from frame to frame once or twice per second.  Half the time when I reboot it works fine, half the time the same thing happens.  No other application is commonly running when this happens and I've updated Elements to the latest version for 9.

Anyone have an idea of how to address this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from?

When you set up your project, which settings did you select? Matching your project settings to your video are vital to the program's optimal performance. When your video specs match your project properties you will see no red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline. Is that the case in your project?

• 2. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
            anon-e-mous Level 1

I don't see red lines and I'm not doing a project.  Just trying to view videos.

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 19:41:53 -0700

To: markdrubin@hotmail.com

Subject: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9

Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9

created by Steve Grisetti in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

What model of camcorder is your video coming from?

When you set up your project, which settings did you select? Matching your project settings to your video are vital to the program's optimal performance. When your video specs match your project properties you will see no red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline. Is that the case in your project?

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4044269#4044269

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4044269#4044269. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 3. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
              nealeh Level 5

Are you trying to play them back in Premiere Elements or in the Elements Organizer?

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                anon-e-mous Level 1

From organizer, I believe.  I can see thumbnails of all the pictures and 

videos.  I double-click on the one I want to play.

• 5. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                  anon-e-mous Level 1

I start premiere elements and the use organizer to start them

Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:09:22 -0700

created by nealeh in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Are you trying to play them back in Premiere Elements or in the Elements Organizer?

Cheers,

--

Neale

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4045054#4045054

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4045054#4045054. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 6. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                    nealeh Level 5

Can you analyse the problem file with either GSpot or Media Info and post screen captures here.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                      anon-e-mous Level 1

There is no particular problem file.  it happens with all movie files.

Mark from pda

• 8. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                        nealeh Level 5

Really need to see the analysis of one of your clips, otherwise it's all guesswork.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale

• 9. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do these clips play properly with other software, outside of PreEl?

Yes, you really need to post video details using Gspot and/or Mediainfo

• 10. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                            anon-e-mous Level 1

I can later.  They play fine with windows media player.

• 11. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                              anon-e-mous Level 1

I hope this is what you were looking for

Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 12:43:00 -0700

Really need to see the analysis of one of your clips, otherwise it's all guesswork.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4045395#4045395

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4045395#4045395. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 12. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                                nealeh Level 5

Sorry but I don't see the information. The following might help: Screen-caps - A Photoshop Workflow

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale

• 13. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                                  anon-e-mous Level 1

okay.  It started working for a bit.  Now it is not.  Capture.PNG

• 14. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                                    Ted Smith Level 3

Some laptops have rather slow video cards

PE preview is meant just for previewing and is at a reduced resolution so the compouter/card is converting as well as viewing (easier job then WMP does)

Try changing the preview quality setting and see if that makes any difference

• 15. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                                      anon-e-mous Level 1

Why would that work sometimes and not others?

Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:07:25 -0700

created by Ted Smith in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Some laptops have rather slow video cards

PE preview is meant just for previewing and is at a reduced resolution so the compouter/card is converting as well as viewing (easier job then WMP does)

Try changing the preview quality setting and see if that makes any difference

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4048013#4048013

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4048013#4048013. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 16. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                                        nealeh Level 5

Update your QuickTime to 7.7.1 from http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/. They used to have a separate 64-bit download there, but I don't know see it - hopefully this means that the download includes both 32-bit & 64-bit.

In GSpot, towards the bottom left, can you click the [1] button under MS A/V followed by the [2] button. What happens?

As well as QuickTime update have you worked through the following suggestions (especially those concerning updates to Display, and Audio? PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale

• 17. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                                          Ted Smith Level 3

Quote <Why would that work sometimes and not others?>

PE uses Quicktime whereas Windows Media Player uses a different Quicktime 'engine'

PE is converting to a low resolution for preview then trying to show it at the same time for people trying to view HD on a 1024x768 monitor, This takes twice the processing. The final production of course won't be jumpy - only the preview

Try the smallest preview window size possible to see if it improves.

I recently changed to an i7 8xcore on my desktop with a fast motherboard. On a standard video card video preview sometines was a bit jumpy. When I installed a mid range 'gaming' video card, all playbacks are all perfectly smooth.

• 18. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                                            Ted Smith Level 3

Sorry I meant WMP DOESNT use Quicktime!

• 19. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                                              anon-e-mous Level 1

Does it matter that I have an HD monitor?

Mark

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 15:59:28 -0700

PE uses Quicktime whereas Windows Media Player uses a different Quicktime 'engine'

PE is converting to a low resolution for preview then trying to show it at the same time for people trying to view HD on a 1024x768 monitor, This takes twice the processing. The final production of course won't be jumpy - only the preview

Try the smallest preview window size possible to see if it improves.

I recently changed to an i7 8xcore on my desktop with a fast motherboard. On a standard video card video preview sometines was a bit jumpy. When I installed a mid range 'gaming' video card, all playbacks are all perfectly smooth.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4049152#4049152

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4049152#4049152. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 20. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                                                anon-e-mous Level 1

I have the latest drivers and Quicktime version.  The problem is not happening at the moment so I don't think I can get the GSpot info you are after.

Mark

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 05:24:13 -0700

Update your QuickTime to 7.7.1 from http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/. They used to have a separate 64-bit download there, but I don't know see it - hopefully this means that the download includes both 32-bit & 64-bit.

In GSpot, towards the bottom left, can you click the button under MS A/V followed by the button. What happens?

As well as QuickTime update have you worked through the following suggestions (especially those concerning updates to Display, and Audio?  PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips

Cheers,

--

Neale

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4048442#4048442

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4048442#4048442. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 21. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                                                  anon-e-mous Level 1

already have latest drivers...

upon clicking the button on Gspot,under MS A/V, (button 1), it displays:

Rendering failed.  Following is the error reported by DirectShow: 0x80040265: [unknown]

When hitting the Gspot button for Vid, at bottom, it displays:

Gspot is not yet capable of attempting to render this video type.  Try using the "MS A/V" button "1".

• 22. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                                                    Ted Smith Level 3

"I don't see red lines and I'm not doing a project.  Just trying to view videos."

PE is not a program for viewing videos so I suggest you dont use it for that

When you use the previw window in a project you are looking as reduced resolution

If your videos or properly rendered PE videos look OK in WMP or another viewer then there is not much wrong witrh your computer or monitor.

If your video adapter in your laptop is very basic or not capable of disectX etc then you will have problems wiht PE because it is trying to do a lot of things at once when playing video with effects in the editor. But the final made video will be OK

The fact that the jumpiness is temporary cleared by closing and reopening PE9 suggests a lack of computer "resources". Maybe you have a dodgy RAM?

Also you will get this if you have only one drive in your computer, particularly if it is a cheap or slow one or one needing defragging.

• 23. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                                                      anon-e-mous Level 1

are there good RAM testing applications (free) and/or drive testing apps?

Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 15:20:41 -0700

"I don't see red lines and I'm not doing a project.  Just trying to view videos."

PE is not a program for viewing videos so I suggest you dont use it for that

When you use the previw window in a project you are looking as reduced resolution

If your videos or properly rendered PE videos look OK in WMP or another viewer then there is not much wrong witrh your computer or monitor.

If your video adapter in your laptop is very basic or not capable of disectX etc then you will have problems wiht PE because it is trying to do a lot of things at once when playing video with effects in the editor. But the final made video will be OK

The fact that the jumpiness is temporary cleared by closing and reopening PE9 suggests a lack of computer "resources". Maybe you have a dodgy RAM?

Also you will get this if you have only one drive in your computer, particularly if it is a cheap or slow one or one needing defragging.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4063260#4063260

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4063260#4063260. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 24. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

In this ARTICLE, there is a link to "BSOD A Serious Issue." Within that link are group of links to very useful utilities, including RAM testing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: Video playback problem Premiere Elements 9
                                                          anon-e-mous Level 1

after using memtest (6 passes) and Windows memory test - no issues.

Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 19:29:48 -0700

From: forums@adobe.com

created by Bill Hunt in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

In this ARTICLE, there is a link to "BSOD A Serious Issue." Within that link are group of links to very useful utilities, including RAM testing.

Good luck,

Hunt

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4065789#4065789

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4065789#4065789. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.