11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2011 8:29 PM by notannsteer

InDesign hyperlinks, ToC and tagged text

notannsteer

I have scoured both this and the Acrobat forum for answers to my problems. Teh problem has 2 parts:

Part 1:

I have a "book" with  many chapters - each chapter has many "grants" - each grant is a seperate story and consists of 2 pages and contains absolute hyperlinks to  URLS. These grants are grouped by region and by industry as well as by name. I can generate a ToC  that  goes through and lists all the grants. I then try to export this  ToC text file as tagged text - run various scripts to resequence and re-group them. When I try to re-import the tagged text - InDesign crashes, inevitably whether CS3, 4 or 5.5 I am using using Windows XP  [Whether I have made changes or not]. . so my assumption is that one cannot re-import tagged text into a table of Contents - correct?

Part 2:

The whole poitn of this is that I want to create a pdf document  with a ToC at the front that is  hyperlinked to each individual grant. I have worked around the previous problem by havign a duplicate document and simply importing  the  edited tagged text file. By having seperate pdf files for each grant [thanks to Jongware who provided me with a script to print  each story as a seperate pdf file  - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/913694] - I can generate a  ToC file that is hyperlinked to the individual grant. However, the links to the  actual documents are absolute - they contain the whole path name. When I try to move  this to another machine - or burn to a CD [the whole point of this exercise] the links fail because they are hard-coded to my  path on my local machine. I understand from reading similar issues on this forum that  that's the way it is - InDesign can only conceive that links are absolute. Thanks to Habs, who provided me with a script to edit hyperlinks in InDesign - http://in-tools.com/downloads/indesign/scripts/ReplaceHyperlinkUrlValues.jsx. I am still trying to get this to work.

I have discovered that I can take teh  tagged text file from InDesign and manipulate it within Word, create a pdf from Word  and the link will work  even when I change  locations. This is due  to the fact that in  the pdf file - even though the  no longer valid  file path shows up when I mouseover on the link in the  pdf file, it will go to the inidvidual file as long as  the  PDF file is in the same directory. What happens is, that when it cannot find the file, it looks in the current directory  - and voila it is there. This is all very complicated.   I am thinking there must be a better way. Currently I take the Word generated Pdf and combine it with  a pdf of all the grants and send that along with  all the indivdiual grants to the client. Confusion reigns!

I can't believe that I am the only one who has ever wanted to created a ToC that is hyperlinked to actual files and that the whole package  must be moved from one machine to another. If I could create the ToC and  hyperlink that to individual pages- according to my various groupings - but I cannot create those groupings within InDesign. I can create them outside but cannot re-import the tagged text while keeping the hyperlinks.

Here is a sample of the Word file

ACT - Australian Capital Territory

--->The Arthur Shakespeare Foundation for Scouting

AUS - Australia

--->Albert George and Nancy Caroline Youngman Trust

--->Albert Van Moorst Memorial Trust

--->Amnesty International Australia - Human Rights Innovation Fund

--->AMP Foundation

here is a screenshot of the pdf file

pdf screenshot.JPG

• 1. Re: InDesign hyperlinks, ToC and tagged text
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Have you tried deleting the TOC story and frame, then just placing your tagged text as an ordinary story in its place? It won't be a TOC in the sense that ID won't update it for you if something changes, and it won't generat PDF bookmarks, but I don't believe you want/need either of those things.

• 2. Re: InDesign hyperlinks, ToC and tagged text
            John Hawkinson Level 5

When I try to re-import the tagged text - InDesign crashes, inevitably whether CS3, 4 or 5.5 I am using using Windows XP  [Whether I have made changes or not]. . so my assumption is that one cannot re-import tagged text into a table of Contents - correct?

Like Peter, I am uncertain what is meant by "re-import into a TOC". Does this mean import on top of the

previous contents of the frame?

Anyhow, what does the crash log look like? See http://indesignsecrets.com/guide-to-interpreting-indesign-crash-reports.php and upload the crash report to http://pastebin.com/ and post a link here.

Also, have you read http://indesignsecrets.com/making-relative-hyperlinks-to-files-in-indesign.php?

• 3. Re: InDesign hyperlinks, ToC and tagged text
              notannsteer Level 1

yes  and to Answer Peter's question - yes as well - I have tried to import teh  tagged txt file as jsut an ordinary file - not  back into the ToC frame.

here is the link to the dumps - if you scroll down - the second dump is when I import the tagged text  file as an ordinary  text file

http://pastebin.com/8zutuFLa

here is a screenshot of the story editor view of the file

in this case TOClvl1 = industry, TOClvl2 = grant namescreenshots3.JPG

• 4. Re: InDesign hyperlinks, ToC and tagged text
                notannsteer Level 1

Yes, thank you . I have tried  both - to re-import back into the ToC frame and also to place teh file as a new file.

And yes, I do very much need the bookmarks - these turn into hyperlinks for the pdf fiel but as stated - have an absolute path rather than relative.[even though this does not show up in the  actual text file -

see sample below - this is the entry for a toclvl1 item - teh industry [in this case there are several]

<pstyle:TOC lvl1><Hpl:=<HplName:.726176><HplDest:.726171><DestKey:45277><CharStyleRef:><HplLen:47><Hp lOff:0><Hid:1><Brdrv:0><Brdrw:Thin><Brdrh:None><Brdrs:Solid><Brdrc:0\,0\,0>>Communication and I.T. / Other / Not for Profit

this is the entry for a toclvl2 item - the name of the grant

<pstyle:TOC lvl2><Hpl:=<HplName:.726180><HplDest:.726177><DestKey:45278><CharStyleRef:><HplLen:49><Hp lOff:0><Hid:1><Brdrv:0><Brdrw:Thin><Brdrh:None><Brdrs:Solid><Brdrc:0\,0\,0>>Transmission Support Grants - Operational Subsidy

I believe teh  HplName and HplDest refer to the actual name and path

What I try to do is to take this file and  resort and reorder the  toc lvl1 and 2  so that I get all of the grants under the applicable industry - in cases where there are multiple industries, I create mulitple listings - one for each industry.

Also pls see my reply to John Hawkinson below.

• 5. Re: InDesign hyperlinks, ToC and tagged text
                  notannsteer Level 1

In answer to your second part - yes I have carefully read the  link you suggested- what  struck me was the following statement"

"However, there is one important caveat for PDF creators: Note that when the viewer clicks on one of these hyperlinks, Acrobat asks the default Web browser to go open the link! Acrobat does not open it itself. That’s pretty frustrating. To keep it all in Acrobat, you’d need that Go to File action, which seems to take you back to absolute links. CS6, anyone?"

Aside from the fact that I'd have to manually create all those buttons - not feasible for more than 1000 grants!

Why is this so difficult?

• 6. Re: InDesign hyperlinks, ToC and tagged text
                    John Hawkinson Level 5

here is the link to the dumps - if you scroll down - the second dump is when I import the tagged text  file as an ordinary  text file

http://pastebin.com/8zutuFLa

Err.

This is extremely short:

*----> Stack Back Trace <----*

WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.

ChildEBP RetAddr  Args to Child             

3817ffb4 7c80b729 00000000 0012ce30 0012ce30 ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet

3817ffec 00000000 7c910250 00000000 00000000 kernel32!GetModuleFileNameA+0x1ba

In the InDesign Secrets post, I say:

Windows just keeps adding new crash logs to that file, so go to the end and search backwards for “App: ” and make sure you’ve got the correct crash (InDesign.exe).

Under Windows, it’ll be a good 400 or 500 lines from the top, and is the first occurrence of “*—-> Stack Back Trace <—-*”. Make sure you get the first one, not a later one!:

Are you sure this is the first Stack Back Trace section? Right before it should be a State Dump for Thread section, which you included, and right before that should be a ---> Module List <--- section, which you did not.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: InDesign hyperlinks, ToC and tagged text
                      notannsteer Level 1

oops - sorry - my bad - I misread that  to indicate that state back trace was the  section that was wanted - I have posted the module list here

http://pastebin.com/nTCx7CCG [for the instance wher I  import as ordinary fiel]

before module list there was stuff too - which is posted here

http://pastebin.com/38Q7QtCA

and the entirety of  teh dump when attempting to re-import back into ToC is here

http://pastebin.com/i8phb3uL

• 8. Re: InDesign hyperlinks, ToC and tagged text
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

Argh! I'm clearly not spelling this out clearly enough! I'm sorry!

oops - sorry - my bad - I misread that  to indicate that state back trace was the  section that was wanted - I have posted the module list here

No, you were correct. The first stack back trace section is what is interesting. The module list is not. But the first stack back trace follows the module list.

and the entirety of  teh dump when attempting to re-import back into ToC is here

Yeah, maybe we should have gone with thta from the start. Here's the stack back trace I was looking for:

*----> Stack Back Trace <----*

WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.

ChildEBP RetAddr  Args to Child             

33f14a00 00000000 00000000 00000000 00001f0c Public!ProtectiveShutdown__~ProtectiveShutdown+0xf6

Defying expectations, it is not longer, it is in fact shorter. On the other hand, it does tell us something.

InDesign experienced a Protective Shutdown, which is a special variety of crash. It is one where InDesign has detected a fault condition on its own and decided it needs to exit, as distinct from the Operating System detecting a fault and killing it. In particular, it means more information should be available in the Protective Shutdown log.

It should be available here:

• Mac OS X: Users/[User Name]/ Library/Cache/Adobe InDesign/Version[#.0]/ InDesign Recovery
                        • Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe/InDesign\Version [#].0\en_US\Caches\InDesign Recovery
                        • Windows Vista and 7:C:\Users/[User Name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#].0\en_US\Caches\InDesign Recovery

So, you can go ahead and post that too!

• 9. Re: InDesign hyperlinks, ToC and tagged text
                          notannsteer Level 1

hmm - curioser and curioser - it is posted at

http://pastebin.com/TJcbQSuA

I find this interesting but don't know what to make of it

Error Code 0x13518: "The destination you have chosen is a hidden destination and already in use by another hyperlink. A hidden destination cannot be shared by multiple hyperlinks."

This is teh same error - whether back to the original ToC frame or a fresh frame

• 10. Re: InDesign hyperlinks, ToC and tagged text
                            John Hawkinson Level 5

Well, that's interesting. Though the first thing I notice is:

Version: 6.0.0 - Build: 352

Foul! Ancient software! Upgrade to 6.0.6 (may cause some minor text reflow). report back!

It sounds like your imported tagged text TOC has a reference to a destination in use by the original TOC. Did you try deleting the original TOC first?

Also, though, the standard strategy here is Divide and Conquer. Cut the tagged text file in half and see if the problem occurs. If so, cut in half again. If not, add back in half of the other half. Repeat until you have isolated the problem.

• 11. Re: InDesign hyperlinks, ToC and tagged text
                              notannsteer Level 1

version - but the same problem occurs in CS5.5 - so I don't think it is a version problem

deleting the original ToC - tried that - crashed

Ah ha - with your help I think  I've got it.

I have a very small test file - one entry.

<UNICODE-WIN>

<vsn:6><fset:InDesign-Roman><ctable:=<Black:COLOR:CMYK:Process:0,0,0,1>>

<dps:NormalParagraphStyle=<Nextstyle:NormalParagraphStyle>>

<dps:TOC body text=<BasedOn:NormalParagraphStyle><Nextstyle:TOC body text><ct:Roman><cf:Times>>

<dps:TOC lvl1=<BasedOn:TOC body text><Nextstyle:TOC lvl1><cs:14.000000><psb:9.000000><cf:Arial>>

<dps:TOC lvl2=<BasedOn:TOC body text><Nextstyle:TOC lvl2><pli:18.000000><psb:4.500000><ptr:504\,Right\,.\,0\,.\;><cf:Arial>>

<pstyle:><ph:0><cs:14.000000><cf:Arial><cct:100.000000>Contents

<cs:><cf:><cct:><ph:><pstyle:TOC lvl1><Hpl:=<HplName:.720386><HplDest:.720382><DestKey:44318><CharStyleRef:><HplLen:129><H plOff:0><Hid:1><Brdrv:0><Brdrw:Thin><Brdrh:None><Brdrs:Solid><Brdrc:0\,0\,0>>Innovation Grants/ Research & Development/ Education & Training Grants/ Environment & Heritage Grants/ Finance & Marketing Grants

<pstyle:TOC lvl2><Hpl:=<HplName:.720389><HplDest:.720387><DestKey:44319><CharStyleRef:><HplLen:39><Hp lOff:0><Hid:1><Brdrv:0><Brdrw:Thin><Brdrh:None><Brdrs:Solid><Brdrc:0\,0\,0>>Automotive Transformation Scheme  (ATS)

<pstyle:TOC lvl2>

<HplDestDfn:=<HplDestName:.720382><DestKey:44318><HplDestPage:2><HplDestPageZoomType:Fixed ><HplDestPageZoomFactor:1><Hid:1>><HplDestDfn:=<HplDestName:.720387><DestKey:44319><HplDes tPage:2><HplDestPageZoomType:Fixed><HplDestPageZoomFactor:1><Hid:1>>

I open it in notepad + and  if I duplicate the entry [as a quick test  for my ability to edit and re-import]

<pstyle:TOC lvl1><Hpl:=<HplName:.720386><HplDest:.720382><DestKey:44318><CharStyleRef:><HplLen:129><H plOff:0><Hid:1><Brdrv:0><Brdrw:Thin><Brdrh:None><Brdrs:Solid><Brdrc:0\,0\,0>>Innovation Grants/ Research & Development/ Education & Training Grants/ Environment & Heritage Grants/ Finance & Marketing Grants 

<pstyle:TOC lvl2><Hpl:=<HplName:.720389><HplDest:.720387><DestKey:44319><CharStyleRef:><HplLen:39><Hp lOff:0><Hid:1><Brdrv:0><Brdrw:Thin><Brdrh:None><Brdrs:Solid><Brdrc:0\,0\,0>>Automotive Transformation Scheme  (ATS)

<HplDestDfn:=<HplDestName:.720382><DestKey:44318><HplDestPage:2><HplDestPageZoomType:Fixed ><HplDestPageZoomFactor:1><Hid:1>><HplDestDfn:=<HplDestName:.720387><DestKey:44319><HplDes tPage:2><HplDestPageZoomType:Fixed><HplDestPageZoomFactor:1><Hid:1>>

<pstyle:TOC lvl1><Hpl:=<HplName:.720385><HplDest:.720383><DestKey:44318><CharStyleRef:><HplLen:129><HplOff:0><Hid:1><Brdrv:0><Brdrw:Thin><Brdrh:No ne><Brdrs:Solid><Brdrc:0\,0\,0>>Innovation Grants/ Research & Development/ Education & Training Grants/ Environment & Heritage Grants/ Finance & Marketing Grants 

<pstyle:TOC lvl2><Hpl:=<HplName:.720388><HplDest:.720386><DestKey:44319><CharStyleRef:><HplLen:39><HplOff:0><Hid:1><Brdrv:0><Brdrw:Thin><Brdrh:Non e><Brdrs:Solid><Brdrc:0\,0\,0>>Automotive Transformation Scheme  (ATS)

<HplDestDfn:=<HplDestName:.720383><DestKey:44317><HplDestPage:2><HplDestPageZoomType:Fixed><HplDestPageZoomFactor:1><Hid:1>><HplDestDfn:=< HplDestName:.720387><DestKey:44319><HplDestPage:2><HplDestPageZoomType:Fixed><HplDestPageZ oomFactor:1><Hid:1>>

then it crashes BUT if I change the numbers   in HplName and Hpl Dest in the second copy - then it works and reimports successfully with the hyperlinks intact!

Thank you!