4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2011 5:09 PM by peter minneapolis

Trying to select an object inside a frame

micfur563-bVsu7l

I have added a PDF document to my InDesign CS5.5 file using the Place command and now am attempting to select a small part of one of the pages using the free select tool. For example I want to add a hyperlink to a web address in one of the pages. The problem is each time I try to select a subset of page with the free select tool it just grabs the whole page.

• 1. Re: Trying to select an object inside a frame
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You cannot select the PDF for editing. It's treated the same as an image.

• 2. Re: Trying to select an object inside a frame
            micfur563-bVsu7l Level 1

ok. But even for an image, can I not apply a hyperlink to a part of an image so that the user can click on that particular area to link to somewhere else. I can apply a hyperlink to the entire page but when a user is viewing the page in an iPad thats not much good. Anywhere they touch the page and they jump to somewhere else. Same applies for creating a magazine index for example. I would like to have multiple links on a single page? Is that not possible once you are dealing with an image? Either the entire image is a link or nothing at all?

• 3. Re: Trying to select an object inside a frame
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

No. In fact I don't think you can make an image a hyperlink, only text, in ID. To do waht you want I suspect you'll have to open the HTML and edit in Dreamweaver or some other HTML editor. You may have to make the image map itself in Photoshop.

It would be worth trying to see if an added hyperlink in the original PDF survives -- that's totally outside my workflow.

• 4. Re: Trying to select an object inside a frame
                peter minneapolis Level 4

micfur563 wrote:

I have added a PDF document to my InDesign CS5.5 file using the Place command and now am attempting to select a small part of one of the pages using the free select tool. For example I want to add a hyperlink to a web address in one of the pages. The problem is each time I try to select a subset of page with the free select tool it just grabs the whole page.

Have you tried creating the hyperlink with a URL destination in a text frame that you place on top of the placed PDF and group them? You can reshape and recolor the text frame.

In a quick test, a URL link created in the PDF that's then placed into InDesign, isn't preserved in the exported PDF.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices