6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2011 10:51 AM by bheiser1

Unable to import TIFF format into Premiere Elements project

bheiser1 Level 1

Hi - I'm a PS CS5 and LR3 user and have just started working with Premiere Elements 10.  Right out of the gate I've hit an issue where I seem to be unable to import certain TIFF files into PE.  If I open my Nikon NEF in PS CS5, and save it as a TIFF, I'm able to import it into PE.  But if the NEF passes thru LR in any way then importing it into PE returns a "generic error" dialog box.  For example this happens if I export the file from LR as a TIFF ... or if I open it in LR, then use Edit-IN (PS CS5), then save it from PS ... again it happens.

I've done a bit of searching (maybe not enough?) and haven't turned up any related known issues.  Is there a gotcha here or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!  I

• 1. Re: Unable to import TIFF format into Premiere Elements project
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

For TIFF (and most other still formats), you will want:

Color Mode = RGB (many Indexed and CMYK will usually fail)

Bit-Depth = 8 Bit (16 Bit & 32 Bit will almost always fail)

For JPEG, you also do not want Progressive (only good for partial, rapid loading onto a Web site)

Good luck, and let us know the full specs. of those TIFF files. First guess would be a Bit-Depth above 8 Bit.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Unable to import TIFF format into Premiere Elements project
            the_wine_snob Level 9

John T. also makes a good point - pixel x pixel size of the images. I was thinking format, and Color Mode, plus Bit-Depth, but pixel x pixel dimensions can be very important. PrE can only accept 4096 x 4096 images. To Scale, prior to Import into PrE, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Unable to import TIFF format into Premiere Elements project
              bheiser1 Level 1

Hi guys, thanks for the warm welcome to the forum. 

I'm a bit puzzled by the TIFF size restriction, because PrE's handling of the same image is different depending on whether it came from LR3 or from PS.  I use LR as my "organizer" (as a replacement for using Bridge in the past, and also do basic edits with LR).

updated below.  What I should actually say is the large TIFF files fail to import, but PSD files of the same size import fine

For example this is what I've tried:

1. open LR

2. browse to folder in the Navigator panel

3. highlight an image thumbnail

4. Select File->Export

5. in the Export One File panel, select:

a. Fomat: TIFF

b. Compression ZIP

c. Color Space: AdobeRGB (1998)

d. Bit Depth 16 bits/component

6. When the Windows Explorer opens showing the new TIFF file, I then drag it into the Project pane in PrE.

7. I get a box that says "Add Media Failure, <filename>, Error Messasge: The importer reported a generic error."

Here's a different scenario:

starting at step #3 above, then I do this:

4. select Photo->Edit in->Photoshop CS5

5. Then in PS, I do File-> Save As:

a. Format: TIFF

b: Color: ICC Profile: Adobe RGB 1998

c. I save this one with <filename>-PS for identification purposes

6. Under TIFF options:

a. Compressoin: LZW

b. Pixel Order: Interleaved (the default)

c. Byte Order IBM PC (using Windows 7 Ultimate x64, SP1 and current fixes)

7. then return to Windows Explorer, and drag <filename>-PS to the Project pane in PrE

8. ok, this failed the same was as indicated above.  I did successfully import a file from PS yesterday, but must have done something different.  My apologies.

The interesting thing is if I export from PS as a .PSD file, it imports to PrE just fine.

Meanwhile, I have been digesting the articles you guys suggested & I can see why I should resize the images for PrE anyway, based on the media format I'm targeting with my PrE presentation.  This is all great info.

btw, FYI these are the file details for the TIFF files that failed importing (below).

Thanks again for your feedback!

tiff-info.JPG

• 5. Re: Unable to import TIFF format into Premiere Elements project
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Trust us on this. You don't want to overload the program with oversized images. It nearly always leads to problems, no matter what the format of picture file is.

Use no larger than 1000x750 pixel photos for any video image and your program will thank you for it.

1 person found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Unable to import TIFF format into Premiere Elements project
                  bheiser1 Level 1

Thanks Steve. I'm not questioning the advice you guys provided.  I'll scale back my images .

As an aside, if this is a limitation, I'm surprised PrE didn't issue a warning rather than a "generic failure", like the way PS CS5 issues a warning when trying to save large images using Save-for-Web.

Anyway thanks again!