7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2011 2:54 PM by peter minneapolis

Linking text boxes together?

SimonSchneider Level 1

hello,

I work with a book (.indb) with many different Documetns linked in it(.indd)

Problem is that i have a lot of textboxes that are the same in the documents and also across the documents.

What i would like to do is to link them all together somehow and either have

-one master (if i make changes in that it applies to all of them)

or

-everyone as a master, i make changes anywhere and all of them get changed

best would be though

-i have one master wich changes all of them but i can have extra text in the individual textboxes if needed. (I could solve this by just doing extra textbox n the pages i need some extra text)

Also dont know if it matters but the text in the textbox is conditional text (shouldnt make a difference  think)

So what i want to know is if you can do this and if so, how you do it.

Thank you in advance

/Simon

• 1. Re: Linking text boxes together?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

For text that needs to appear in multiple documents, you cna make a "master" .indd file, then place pages from that file into the other files in the same way that you would place an image. Any editing is done ithe "master" document, then the links are updated in all docs where the "master" was placed. You can add other text frames or or other types of content to any document in which you have placed pages from the "master." You cannot, however make individual edits to the placed "master" pages that affect one document, but not all (you cannot edit these pages at all inside the files where they are placed -- they behave like images).

• 2. Re: Linking text boxes together?
            SimonSchneider Level 1

Thank you for the quick reply,

So there is no way of linking text boxes together?

Becouse i only have a small amount of text that has to be the same on certain pages.

So i cant put it inot master page and i dont really want to place an entire page,

I hope I understood the procedure correctly.

Thank you in advance

• 3. Re: Linking text boxes together?
              Grant H Level 4

if i understand you correctly (i think i do)...

note: Linked stories in CS5 would be perfect.. but unfonrrtunatley only in one document. And snippets, well a pain to "update and relink"

So do as peter suggests: I dont think you fully understand what he means, You can place the "master.indd" file on a new layer in your doc and position where you need. You wont have to add a new page...

G

• 4. Re: Linking text boxes together?

The linked "master" document can be any size. It doesn't have to use the same page size as the the files you place it into. You can even anchor into the text flow of the receiving document so it will move with editing, but it will not break across column or page boundaries.

• 5. Re: Linking text boxes together?
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

SimonSchneider wrote:

Thank you for the quick reply,

So there is no way of linking text boxes together?

Becouse i only have a small amount of text that has to be the same on certain pages.

So i cant put it inot master page and i dont really want to place an entire page,

I hope I understood the procedure correctly.

Thank you in advance

Consider cross-references. Each cross-reference brings in a whole paragraph, to another place in the same document, or from a separate document. The source content can be in a separate document that's one of those in an InDesign book, or one that's not in a book. Cross-reference source content and the source that's captured can both be conditionalized, though, hiding the source creates unresolved references.

Changing the source content changes all instances that capture it.

Search Google for terms like "InDesign cross-reference tutorial" without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices    

• 6. Re: Linking text boxes together?

peter at knowhowpro wrote:

Consider cross-references. Each cross-reference brings in a whole paragraph, to another place in the same document, or from a separate document. The source content can be in a separate document that's one of those in an InDesign book, or one that's not in a book. Cross-reference source content and the source that's captured can both be conditionalized, though, hiding the source creates unresolved references.

Changing the source content changes all instances that capture it.

In theory, a great idea, but perhaps not so much in practice given the oft-reported fragility of inter-document cross-refs.

• 7. Re: Linking text boxes together?
                      peter minneapolis Level 4

Peter Spier wrote:

In theory, a great idea, but perhaps not so much in practice given the oft-reported fragility of inter-document cross-refs.

One's mileage may vary. A couple of trials could prove the behavior for this user and workflow.

Another option worth a try is the commercial DTP Tools cross-references plug-in for InDesign. Free trial at dtptools.com

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices