2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 11:52 AM by progmon

Issues showing PDF files in web-browser (Windows 7 x64, 32-bit version of AdobeReader X)

alexmikkelsen

I'm not sure if this is the right way to share my experience, but at least I know Google will discover this thread eventually and maybe someone else will find what I have been looking for the past 3 hours

I'm deploying the 32-bit based AdobeReader X (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4950) to Windows7 32-bit and 64-bit based machines. This is a MSI deployement done through our Active Directory. Everything goes well - no errors. Except for the x64-based machines having trouble showing PDF-files in the web-browser.

I used Adobe Customization Wizard X to customize our MSI installation - this showed out to be the solution once again.

Common for the installation on Windows7 32-/64-bit were that the value in the registry database for HKCR\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe (Default) was set to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe". This is valid for the 32-bit installation as Program Files is situated in C:\Program Files, but since it's a 32-bit edition of AdobeReader that I'm installing on the 64-bit based system as well, it's installed in C:\Program Files (x86) and the reference in the registry database to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" is therefore not valid - which explains why PDF files could not be displayed in the web browser. Changing the registry to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" solved it. Now this is a manual solution which might be useful on 1-2 machines but on a bigger scale it's not the right way to do it.

I could change it with a batch/vbs script but still this is only a solution of the symptom and not a solution to the core issue. I therefore focused on Adobe Customization Wizard X again.

The problem was easily solved. I opened the MSI file, loaded the transform file that I've made previously. Went to Registry > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe . I then changed the (Default) value from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" to "[INSTALLDIR]Reader\AcroRd32.exe", generated the MST file and replaced my current one for distribution. Problem solved! :-) The entry in the registry now shows : "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" and PDF files are open without any issues.

I hope someone can save a bit of time on this one.

Best regards!

Alex Mikkelsen