I'm not sure if this is the right way to share my experience, but at least I know Google will discover this thread eventually and maybe someone else will find what I have been looking for the past 3 hours
I'm deploying the 32-bit based AdobeReader X (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4950) to Windows7 32-bit and 64-bit based machines. This is a MSI deployement done through our Active Directory. Everything goes well - no errors. Except for the x64-based machines having trouble showing PDF-files in the web-browser.
I used Adobe Customization Wizard X to customize our MSI installation - this showed out to be the solution once again.
Common for the installation on Windows7 32-/64-bit were that the value in the registry database for HKCR\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe (Default) was set to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe". This is valid for the 32-bit installation as Program Files is situated in C:\Program Files, but since it's a 32-bit edition of AdobeReader that I'm installing on the 64-bit based system as well, it's installed in C:\Program Files (x86) and the reference in the registry database to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" is therefore not valid - which explains why PDF files could not be displayed in the web browser. Changing the registry to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" solved it. Now this is a manual solution which might be useful on 1-2 machines but on a bigger scale it's not the right way to do it.
I could change it with a batch/vbs script but still this is only a solution of the symptom and not a solution to the core issue. I therefore focused on Adobe Customization Wizard X again.
The problem was easily solved. I opened the MSI file, loaded the transform file that I've made previously. Went to Registry > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe . I then changed the (Default) value from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" to "[INSTALLDIR]Reader\AcroRd32.exe", generated the MST file and replaced my current one for distribution. Problem solved! :-) The entry in the registry now shows : "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" and PDF files are open without any issues.
I hope someone can save a bit of time on this one.
I shall add your fix to my "Bookmarks". Thanks for taking the trouble to post it.
I was able install and view the files in adobe reader 10.1.1 and in web browser window 7 64 bit machine. But when I go to Edit-preferences-internet and unchecking "display PDF in Browser" , I am not able to view the pdf files in ie 9 browser. I have used this javscript to check for pdf version.
Immediately after installing adobe--
when I do adobe test in ie 9---https://courses.worldcampus.psu.edu/public/diagnostics/Acrobat.html-- launches a test pdf file--Acro_Test.pdf
After unchecking-- it stays in the https://courses.worldcampus.psu.edu/public/diagnostics/Acrobat.html instead of showing test pdf file--Acro_Test.pdf
Tried to go back to "display PDF in Browser"--it is showing it is checked(eventhough I did not check it)
and in ie
it stays in the https://courses.worldcampus.psu.edu/public/diagnostics/Acrobat.html instead of showing test pdf file--Acro_Test.pdf