4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2011 10:37 AM by Bo LeBeau

If my hard drive has died can I reinstall Indesign CS4

Jewell-Harrison

Hi

I purchased CS4 and both myself and my partner downloaded no problem, this week however the hard disk has died on the laptop - how if at all can I download onto a new mac?

thanks

• 1. Re: If my hard drive has died can I reinstall Indesign CS4
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You didn't save a copy of your downloaded installer for emergencies like this? Bet that won't happen again.

See Download Adobe CS4 and CS3 Free Trials Here (incl. After Effects) | ProDesignTools

Follow tghe directions onth page EXACTLY or it won't work. The trial installers are the same as the regualr version, just enter your serila number when asked (do you have that?).

• 2. Re: If my hard drive has died can I reinstall Indesign CS4
            Michael Gianino Level 4

Peter, FYI, I'm not sure that link is as good as you may think.

I recently wiped my HD and installed a new OS (from 10.4 to 10.6). I had backed up my CS3 download installer to DVD when I got it in 2008, but for some reason, I couldn't get the installer to work when I put in on the newly-wiped drive. I remembered that you had suggested this particular link recently, so I tried it, but it didn't work for me. I clicked on the link for Mac CS3 Design Standard, and after signing in (as requested), it took me to the Adobe downloads page where only CS5 was available.

SS.jpg

Fortunately for me, I tried loading from my backup DVD again and got it to work. I'm not sure why it didn't work the first time, but I probably just made a mistake. I suppose I could have made a similar mistake in trying the download from this page, but if you would care to give it a try, maybe you can verify that it really works.

• 3. Re: If my hard drive has died can I reinstall Indesign CS4
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Michael,

It's been a month or so since I tried using the link, but it was working the last time I checked. When poeple report that it didn't work, in the past it has always been because they didn't follow the directions on the page exactly. Did you follow the steps in the section marked "Note: Very Important"?

• 4. Re: If my hard drive has died can I reinstall Indesign CS4
                Bo LeBeau Level 4

It is not completely clear from the original post, but are you saying that you had copies installed on two different computers?

Adobe does allow a second installation with the qualification that one one copy can be used at the same time.

So the attempt to register a third time (same computer, new hard drive) may not work.

Normally the procedure is to deactivate a copy before attempting the new installation to stay within the 2 copies limit. Help menu - Deactivate.

Obviously since your hard drive died you can't deactivate.

In the forums other people have had this problem and the recommendation was to call Adobe and explain that the hard drive died and you can't deactivate a copy.

It is my understanding that Adobe can reset your activation limit.