1 2 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 2:21 PM by AtonMusic

Basic color correction, is there a better way?

Glitchdog Level 1

We've watched tutorials on color correction in Premiere Pro 5.5 (PP) and tried some of the filters (are there really 40 different potential color correction filters?), tried demos of Colorista and Looks also within PP and tested the PP to After Effects (AE) to Color Finesse... and frankly wished that Iridas SpeedGrade was already incorporated into the production suite in a truly effecient way. Even though we are only doing basic color correction..fixing color shifts, over saturated reds, maybe warming a scene a bit; Color Finesse really seems like the best, this lite version seems to have far more that what we need, but the workflow is so inefficient. Even after we get the AE comp back to PP it's so challenging to play it back even at 1/4 rez. It would be nice if you could actually quickly render an AE comp in Premiere to play back. Even short color corrected clips take forever to fully render. OK, well it seems like forever   We're wondering if it's better to just render out from AE to ProRes (or similar) and drop it into the PP timeline, but then what if we decide to make a change? At this point with Adobe acquiring Iridas SpeedGrade it seems that it's not prudent to invest in the Color Finesse plugin for PP or anything else.

All that said, as new users of Premiere, I'm wondering if we're missing something really simple. Thoughts anyone?

• 1. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
          lasvideo Level 4

Ive used Color and Color Finesse and Colorista with PrP 5.5. For the kind of simple CC youve mentioned I get the best bang for buck with the PrP 3 Way CC (an accelerated effect) when used with the Nvidia 4000 card . A 4.5 minute dramatic sequence was greenish and needed warming up. With Colorista 2 on each clip I had to render the timeline to even view it and export took 10 minutes. With the PrP 3Way CC I warmed up each clip and was able to play the sequence back in real time AND the export took about 3 minutes. I admit to being somewhat of a CC software snob, but the 3 Way matched what I did in Colorista and its performance blew it away. Something you might want to investigate if you have the CUDA card (4000) installed.

• 2. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
            Glitchdog Level 1

Thanks for the tip. I was just watching some of Andrew Devis's excellent color correction tutorials on the Creative Cow SD/HD in iTunes. I think there is only one CUDA card that works with Mac. Is that the 4000? I think I remember it's pricey, but maybe it's something we need to consider for our primary workstation. We also need a workflow for some mobile editing we are doing with a MacBook Pro.

• 4. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
              lasvideo Level 4

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-DisplayPort-Profesional-Graphics-VCQ4000-PB/dp/B003X26T70

Yes, its around $700,but it sounds like your group of professionals would benefit from the speed enhancement when using it in a manner that takes advantage of the CUDA processing.

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and-adobe- premiere-pro.html

• 5. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                AtonMusic Level 2

DONT CC in Premiere Pro...

Use After Effects for that... I could not think of a worse app to CC in.

It would be like trying to cut a whole movie in AE rather than PP ;-)

Use the right tool for the job -

Cut = NLE

CC = AE or other compositor

• 6. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                  Glitchdog Level 1

Thanks Ann. Between myself and our current intern we have watched a fair bit of these Lynda.com tutorials you mention. I  think our brains are just not geared to that particular teaching style, though very detailed, it was way too heady for us. We have appreciated many of the Lynda.com tutorials. My pref, if I can actually find out info on who is teaching the tutorials, is to find someone that is currently doing what they are teaching in the industry.

• 7. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                    Glitchdog Level 1

I will definately look into the 4000, I had seen one at NAB this year and it was much higher priced than this, must have been a different model. I would consider that price reasonable for our primary workstation, especially with the benefits.

Question: how do you do highlight recovery with the 3-way in Premiere? That's a common one I need. I've poked around but can;t figure that one out.

• 8. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                      Glitchdog Level 1

Appreciate the tip on using something outside of Premiere. I find the workflow, as mentioned, quite cumbersome w/the dynamic link and AE/Color Finesse. BUT I must admit, for a color grading novice, I found Color Finesse quite nice and very powerful. We also have Apple Color, but I've never even opened it. And now that it's dead, I wouldn't bother. Most of what we do is very basic stuff, so I think for the time being I'll stick with basic color correction in PP and look to SpeedGrade when it gets mophed into the production package. Maybe CS 6?

• 9. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

It would be like trying to cut a whole movie in AE rather than PP ;-)

I find the idea of color correcting a whole movie outside of PP to be similarly cumbersome.

• 10. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                          AtonMusic Level 2

Color Finesse is fantastic but the tools in AE can do the same and MUCH more and you can alsways use Color Finesse in AE.

Trust me... Get to know AE... And I promise you that you will find it to be just about the most amazing software on the planet.

AE HAS to be your friend not your enemy ;-)

You might wanna look at Boris Continuum - The best utilities you can get. They aint as flashy looking as Magic Bullet but they will do a LOT more than MB.

I'd go as far as to say, if one cant get it done in BCC one cant get it done at all 

• 11. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                            lasvideo Level 4

Glitchdog, I concur with your instinct to keep it simple. AE is great for situation where compositing and motion graphics are needed. And for very complex CC Color Finesse is great (but not as powerful as Color in my experience). Like I said , I was very impressed with the speed and capability of the PP 3 Way CC for simple tasks. And the Nvidia Quadro 4000 is a good way to supercharge accelerated effects like it. Let us know how things progress for you!

• 12. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                              AtonMusic Level 2

in addition = The 4000 is VERY expensive compared to the GTX 285 - which is according to many more powerful than the 4000. I use the 285 and I am smooth sailing be that with TIFF sequences or H.264.

I paid $300 for mine which is a WHOLE lot cheaper than the 4000

As far as color correcting... AE has Adjustment layers which is a VERY important part of CC'Ing. Hard to do that in PP...

You can also do CC in Photoshop on Video = I do that a lot . there are tools in there that are unbeatable for certain tasks. Just convert your movie to a smart object, and there aint nothing you cant do with it.

Amazing

• 13. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                Glitchdog Level 1

I just did a test. An 11 sec clip, color corrected with the 3-way in PP took 2 min to render on a MacBook Pro i7, 4gb mem. (This is not our workstation of course) in PP. The same 11 sec clip comp from AE and corrected in Color Finesse took 6 mins. The 3-way in FCP 7 was realtime on any Mac I've worked on, stock Macs. Hmmmm, I think there is definately room for more efficiency with filters in PP on stock systems. Still I'll look into the Nvidia card. Really appreciate the posts!!

• 14. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                  shooternz Level 6

All the CCs Filters in PPRO  work real time for me from native footage.  ( WIn 7-64bit , MPE, Quadro)

For basic CC it is ridiculous to suggest AE as a CC workflow from any NLE .

AE is a compositor. It is not realtime. It is a workflow based on layers.  You can not scrub your "effect". You can not play your effect in realtime.

You can not see your clip in realtime context.

The very capable CC in AE is for the use of compositors ....and not a single  book on CC will advise that it is a C.C of choice.

FWIW and to provide a relative perspective to basic vs High end C.C...

For serious CC (ie more than basic) ..take it to a Da VInci Resolve Suite (at least) and use a totally professional  CC.  If you have ever worked in a Telecine or pro digital grading suite for high end grading...you will know the difference.

Stage 2  serious C.C ..move the project from a Resolve thru to Flame Suite.  Then the magic really starts.

Just then... one will understand just how  basic the CC is in an NLE suite.

Not withstanding that...Premiere Pro is more than capable of doing basic - intermediate  CC for most users needs  and exceeds most users skills.  (including mine).  Thats why I use Colorists whenever possible or required.

This week I used a Resolve Suite (with colorist) then Flame (with flame artist)  for 3 TVCs and I also  c.c'd 4 different TVCs (myself) in my own PPRO suite.  They all work in their own right and give me a perspective of the difference between basic and high end CC requirements.

• 15. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                    zikade Level 2

I agree partly - for serious CC, use a serious tool. DaVinci springs to mind, even Apples Color does a good job there if you have it lying around.

If you don't have either of them, SA Color Finesse isn't too bad either - and if you are careful not to delete your render list you even retain a link from your AE to PPro even after rendering it in AE and importing it into PPro ( not dynamic linking, which after using Finesse won't be too dynamic anyway).

And yes, you can do most of the basic stuff using PPros 3-way CC, but it is really not very intuitive and frankly it's a bit like using AE for editing - yes, it can be done. And yes, I use it all the time. But if I even start thinking about 'secondary..' I'm off.

• 16. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                      AtonMusic Level 2

shooternz wrote:

For basic CC it is ridiculous to suggest AE as a CC workflow from any NLE .

Guess it depends on how one look at things.

To me, there is no such thing as basic and advanced CC. There is only CC.

I dont want to CC twice. I do it once and that to fulfill my needs, thus grading my footage as I want it.

There is no way that I could ever make my footage look the way I want it to by CC'ing it in Premiere.

OK. I do alot of of grading and a 3-way CC alone would never cut it for me.

My CC process takes at least one whole day for a 3 minute movie. And to me CC'ing is equal important to cutting !

You can have a greatly cut movie but if it looks like video - aint nobody gonna want to sit there and watch it !

I'd rather watch a beautiful CC'd movie that aint so good than an awful looking great movie !

AE is SO MUCH MORE than a compositor. I have davinci (Software) and know my way around it good. But AE is superior for CC'ing.

Davinci is like iMovie offering a lot of features but AE is like a modular synthesizer enabling AE to be WHATEVER the USER wants it to be.

I do a lot of photography grading for photographers and there are plenty times where I enter AE instead of Photoshop.

OK, it aint real time... But I dont need to see the clip play back RT to CC it. I need to see one image. And if you use TIFF sequences in AE then scrubbing is instantaneous and you can watch that movie

faster than real time by simply dragging the playhead. CC'ing in real time, to me, would be waaaaay too slow. Take me hours longer to complete.

If you are talking CC'ing as in white balancing the image/movie then OK.. Put a 3-way on it and good to go. But I have yet to see an image coming off ANY film/video camera that looked the way I wanted it too look

by merely scooting the RGBs around for adjusting the white balance. Say you'd want to darken just the skie (blue) with much of clouds (Yellow, Gray, White) on footage taken off a golf Course. You would have to split the

footage and do all kinds of cool stuff to make that look HDR. No way you could do that in PP (the way I need it done)...

On a side note.... Compositing === Color Correcting --- They go hand in hand !

Just a thought !

• 17. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                        AtonMusic Level 2

Glitchdog wrote:

I just did a test. An 11 sec clip, color corrected with the 3-way in PP took 2 min to render on a MacBook Pro i7, 4gb mem. (This is not our workstation of course) in PP. The same 11 sec clip comp from AE and corrected in Color Finesse took 6 mins. The 3-way in FCP 7 was realtime on any Mac I've worked on, stock Macs. Hmmmm, I think there is definately room for more efficiency with filters in PP on stock systems. Still I'll look into the Nvidia card. Really appreciate the posts!!

1 -- Could be that you dont have AE setup correctly processor wise.

2 -- Could be that executing those plug-ins in PP on a GPU doesn't render the same quality (Higher in AE)

3 -- It is NOT the time it takes for a sequence to render but the quality of it, that counts.

4 -- I just did a 2:25 Movie (FullHD Tiff Sequence) with Extreme CC'ing on 91 seperate clips with seperate settings. About 40% of all clips were stabilized.

Rendering took 3:11 --- (I use a Nehalem 16 Core) So perhaps you need to look into the Multiprocessor Preferences or get a CPU with more cores.

Rendering compressed movies (H.264 etc) takes SO MUCH longer than rendering TIFF and Image Sequences. But to obtain latter, you need a RAID0 with at least 4 independent drives

• 18. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                          lasvideo Level 4

Glitchdog, I wouldnt pay to much attention to obsessive  folks that feel the need to convince you that their way of doing things is the ONLY way. ;-)   As a 30 yeaar veteran of editing I can assure you there are many phallacies in the somewhat frantic arguments they cite in order to persuade you to adapt their approach to color correction. You know what your work flow needs are and you have gotten a wide range of good input from this forum. Follow your gut.

Tom Daigon

Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor

www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Mac Pro 3,1

2 x 3.2 ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon

Nvidia Quadro 4000

24 gigs ram

Kona 3

Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid

• 19. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                            Glitchdog Level 1

This is great. I had lots of fun reading all these great and varied posts. Thank you everyone, you're stirring my brain cells! FYI, we are a non-profit group with limited funds and honestly I find it quite enjoyable to pinch pennies and try and do the best producion work we can with very few staff (one full-time, one intern and a couple part-timers). I have friends producing 100k docos sending their work off for audio sweetening, color correction using all the highest end systems. I respect all those artists out there doing the super high-end stuff and everything inbetween.

Over all the years of being in production as lasvideo (Tom) mentioned, I've learned to/had to depend on my gut, I would also say intuition, without getting too spiritual So all your posts are very helpful and I'm learning more about color correction through this process of moving from one editing system to another. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Though the new tricks may not be agreed upon by everyone

• 20. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

FWIW, I have always used just the 3-way CC in PrPro, but after watching the Lynda.com tutorials on CCing in PrPro, I've learned the power of the curves tools and the power of secondary CC. There is SO MUCH that can be done in PrPro using curves and the 3-Way CC... I know you said the Lynda tutorials were a little over your head, but if you can set aside a couple days and remove all distractions and go slowly, trying out what they teach on your own footage as you watch, I think you'll get a lot of benefit out of it. There's very little CC that I need to do that I can't do in PrPro with those tools.

Of course, CC always starts with properly setting up your clips--unless you're shooting in a RAW format like r3d, you'll need to be careful to set your white balance properly before you shoot... it's very hard to properly correct a clip that hasn't been properly white balanced before shooting. It's so important to start out properly, and then finish in post. Also, it's a lot easier to fix underexposed footage than overexposed, so if you're not sure of your exposure, I would always stop down a couple steps...

• 21. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd rather watch a beautiful CC'd movie that aint so good than an awful looking great movie !

In my experience, the average viewer would take the opposing viewpoint.  (And probably a lot of professionals as well.)

Story supercedes all.

• 22. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I disagree.  The CC needs of a wedding videographer will vary greatly from those of a $100M Hollywood project.  And there's a whole range of needs in between.

• 23. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                    AtonMusic Level 2

Jim Simon wrote:

I disagree.  The CC needs of a wedding videographer will vary greatly from those of a $100M Hollywood project.  And there's a whole range of needs in between.

Perhaps I should have been deafening-precise in my "To me, there is no such thing as basic and advanced CC. There is only CC."

What I mean by that is = Color Correcting = making things look the way YOU or the client intended it to !

• 24. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                      AtonMusic Level 2

Jim Simon wrote:

In my experience, the average viewer would take the opposing viewpoint.  (And probably a lot of professionals as well.)

Story supercedes all.

Story is mighty important. Yeah. But ALL the folks I know, Pros or Publich Folk AINT gonna wanna look or get into that story if it looks cheap as in coming directly off a Canon 5DMKii or RED for that matter.

Why do you think they spend SO much time on the looks of a H-Wood movie ?

Yes, if the story lacks or sucks the CC aint gonna help that. CC is make up. No Model or actor is EVER shot without it.

• 25. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                        AtonMusic Level 2

lasvideo wrote:

Glitchdog, I wouldnt pay to much attention to obsessive  folks that feel the need to convince you that their way of doing things is the ONLY way. ;-)   As a 30 yeaar veteran of editing I can assure you there are many phallacies in the somewhat frantic arguments they cite in order to persuade you to adapt their approach to color correction. You know what your work flow needs are and you have gotten a wide range of good input from this forum. Follow your gut.

Tom Daigon

Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor

www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Mac Pro 3,1

2 x 3.2 ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon

Nvidia Quadro 4000

24 gigs ram

Kona 3

Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid

Thanks for spitting me in the face !!!

The best way to manipulate pixels on a digital photo is to use Photoshop. You will find ZERO photographers using PPRO to edit a Photo.

AfterEffects has the exact same capabilities of Photoshop (Aside from a few still-specifics)

Premiere has nothing like that.

A movie is NOTHING but a series of photographs. So why not treat them with the best tools possible.

You have been in the bizz since 30 years. Yes.. One can definitely sense that in your comments.

A lot has changed since you began in this bizz, especially the possibilities of making footage coming from a "Cheap" camera looking like that of a VERY expensive one.

I am NOT trying to make people work the way I do. Would be difficult to teach them 16 years of obssessive color profiling. I am trying to open eyes and get people to use the BEST

tool for the job and I ADVOCATE to STOP working like the video industry did 10 or 5 years ago.

If they did, we would not have tv shows looking cheaper than my Lumix camera blown up to twice its native size !

• 26. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

What I mean by that is = Color Correcting = making things look the way YOU or the client intended it to !

Even still, the work necessary to arrive at what's intended for a wedding video will be far less demanding and time consuming than the work necessary for the Hollywood blockbuster.  There really is such a thing as basic and advanced color correction.  And for a lot of the project types people use Premiere Pro for, doing it inside of PP is far easier and less time consuming than going to an outside app.  And the result is every bit as acceptable.

• 27. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

ALL the folks I know, Pros or Publich Folk AINT gonna wanna look or get into that story if it looks cheap as in coming directly off a Canon 5DMKii or RED for that matter.

Tell that to the guys who made The Blair Witch Project.  They did OK.

Yes, if the story lacks or sucks the CC aint gonna help that.

Then why would you prefer to watch that over a better story with lackluster CC work?

Because most Hollywood movies have the time and the money to do so.  A lot of PP projects don't.

• 28. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

A movie is NOTHING but a series of photographs. So why not treat them with the best tools possible.

Time, cost and efficiency are three reasons I can think of.

• 29. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                                shooternz Level 6

Guess it depends on how one look at things.

I dont want to CC twice. I do it once and that to fulfill my needs, thus grading my footage as I want it.

There is no way that I could ever make my footage look the way I want it to by CC'ing it in Premiere.

OK. I do alot of of grading and a 3-way CC alone would never cut it for me.

My CC process takes at least one whole day for a 3 minute movie. And to me CC'ing is equal important to cutting !

The O.P was looking for a  better "Basic C.C solution / workflow".

There very definitely is a difference between basic and advanced CC.

Example ...The client I finished with this week willingly spent over $5000 ( which I budgeted for) on CC in Resolve and Flame.  That was  10 hours  of  suite work and involved masks and mattes etc  just to CC and grade the scenes and product shots for 3 TVCs.  Compositing and conforming  was extra.

This is considered a low budget Post workflow but it did use professional colorists and artists. Thats all they do.

The OP does not want, can afford  or probably does not need a solution at that level.

The other TVCs I finished with a basic CC and Grade ( done my self on a desktop system) were at a very different scale of cost and a different scale of client expectation. Still probably a lot more than a charity can afford though.

The OP wants to do it him / her self.   (BASIC)

BTW: Not sure why there is only reference in the posts to "3-way CC in PrPro".  There are many  more CC tools in PPRO that are available for the task.

• 30. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                                  AtonMusic Level 2

shooternz wrote:

The O.P was looking for a  better "Basic C.C solution / workflow".

There very definitely is a difference between basic and advanced CC.

Example ...The client I finished with this week willingly spent over $5000 ( which I budgeted for) on CC in Resolve and Flame.  That was  10 hours  of  suite work and involved masks and mattes etc  just to CC and grade the scenes and product shots for 3 TVCs.  Compositing and conforming  was extra.

You dont need Flame or Da Vinci to do that. Your average Mac Pro (With the right experience behind it) will do that.

$5000 for 10 hours of CC....

Now THAT is what I mean by serious old school. Crazy that those facilities can still survice. Guess they only survive becuase of users thinking they need it.

Perhaps I misunderstood OP...

OP -- If you just need to White Balance-Correct your footage along with a bit of contrast - then You can do that in Premiere use any tool. Color Finesse is great but WAY too overkill for such simple taks.

If after that the footage looks like you imagined it. THen all is good.

If it does not, then it is time to look into what I call color grading. NO camera on this earth - regardless of medium (Digital Censor or Film) will ever deliver footage the way your eyes see it.

Therefor Grading, Color Correcting, Finalzing or whatever you want to dub is equal important to capturing great footage.

• 31. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                                    AtonMusic Level 2

Jim Simon wrote:

Even still, the work necessary to arrive at what's intended for a wedding video will be far less demanding and time consuming than the work necessary for the Hollywood blockbuster.  There really is such a thing as basic and advanced color correction.  And for a lot of the project types people use Premiere Pro for, doing it inside of PP is far easier and less time consuming than going to an outside app.  And the result is every bit as acceptable.

If one is looking into finishing a low-budget wedding video, shot on a standard digital camera, then honey-baby,

the best and cheapest plug-in for that is not even a plug-in but either Final Cut X or iMovie (No joke meant)

FCPx is cheaper than most great plug-ins and does it all on the fly. There is currently no faster way of skimming thru' you footage and placing it on the TL than that.

Basic CC'ing as you call it in FCPx is crazy easy and works a treat.

So if speed and fast-finishing is WHAT is important (and your post suggest it is) then use the right tool.... In this case imovie or FCPx.

• 32. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                                      AtonMusic Level 2

Jim Simon wrote:

ALL the folks I know, Pros or Publich Folk AINT gonna wanna look or get into that story if it looks cheap as in coming directly off a Canon 5DMKii or RED for that matter.

Tell that to the guys who made The Blair Witch Project.  They did OK.

Yes, if the story lacks or sucks the CC aint gonna help that.

Then why would you prefer to watch that over a better story with lackluster CC work?

Because most Hollywood movies have the time and the money to do so.  A lot of PP projects don't.

I think you are little confused as to what color grading is all about. The BW Project was meant to be RAW and that it is what it looked like. Perfect grading.

with Grading I DONT mean making everything look like a Weddng Picture... I mean by grading that the look adheres to the atmosphere meant to be conveyed.

Grading 90% is actually DEGRADING... Making things look more atmospheric than the camera caputured. Adding contrast to a flat-shot image is DEGRADING it as you loose shadows etc.

You really should think a litte about all of this !

• 33. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                                        shooternz Level 6

You dont need Flame or Da Vinci to do that. Your average Mac Pro (With the right experience behind it) will do that.

If you say so ...but I am curious anyway.

What software in an average  MacPro can be used to do multiple secondary CCs inside multiple power windows for example then work that into the composite masks that also need CC?

Now THAT is what I mean by serious old school. Crazy that those facilities can still survice. Guess they only survive becuase of users thinking they need it.

Guess you dont understand why professionals employ professional dedicated colorists. 

Its because clients demand that their TVCs look outstanding.

Same for movie makers and broadcast program makers.

I would be keen to see your show reel that might display samples  of advanced CC work you do on your  desktop.

• 34. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                                          AtonMusic Level 2

shooternz wrote:

If you say so ...but I am curious anyway.

What software in an average  MacPro can be used to do multiple secondary CCs inside multiple power windows for example then work that into the composite masks that also need CC?

After Effects ! And in combination with Mocha Pro - It beats ANY power window (Sucks in comparison) that DaVinci Resolve could produce. (The Motion Tracker in Resolve is a Joke)

AfterEffects can be MANY things depending on your workflow, if you are a colorist you can do MUCH MORE color grading-wise than with Resolve. You just have to invent a Workflow for it. Whereas, the Workflow comes

pre-invented in Resolve. Which I HATE !

Most folks think of AE as a simple compositor. That is a tremendous mistake. Tremendous.

• 35. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                                            AtonMusic Level 2

shooternz wrote:

Guess you dont understand why professionals employ professional dedicated colorists. 

Its because clients demand that their TVCs look outstanding.

Same for movie makers and broadcast program makers.

I would be keen to see your show reel that might display samples  of advanced CC work you do on your  desktop.

I dont need to post my showreel here to gain ears n eyes. From reading what I write, you either KNOW or you dont KNOW !

Been doing color grading and atmosphere integration the past 16 years! Photography since I was 6. So that makes it 32 Years !

Living good off it too.

Advance CC on a desktop.... Easy !!! Get the right hardware; VidCard, Monitor etc and you're off.

I guess you still call up the 20 year old AVID room to cut a video !

You may throw away your good money on over priced edit suites. I prefer to keep that money and offer my clients FAIR prices with Maximum quality !

• 36. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                                              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Man, somebody’s got a chip on his shoulder…

• 37. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                                                lasvideo Level 4

Atonmusic - I dont need to post my showreel here to gain ears n eyes.

Actually, you do . Talk is cheap when you can hide behind the anonymity the web provides.  Substantive demonstration of your skills could change perceptions of you from  smack talker to talented individual with an attitude . I guess the saying is put your money where your mouth is ;-)

• 38. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                                                  AtonMusic Level 2

If the Shoulder-Chip goes on my tab,,, Yeah I do...

With all the old timers relentlessly trying to clutch the ways of the past....

Dragging down with them in the mud, the new and inspiring talent.

Audio Industry went the same route. All the old timers holding on to their ways

which were expensive, outdated and destructive !

I'm budding out of this here thread, right about now !

• 39. Re: Basic color correction, is there a better way?
                                                                                    AtonMusic Level 2

lasvideo wrote:

Atonmusic - I dont need to post my showreel here to gain ears n eyes.

Actually, you do . Talk is cheap when you can hide behind the anonymity the web provides.  Substantive demonstration of your skills could change perceptions of you from  smack talker to talented individual with an attitude . I guess the saying is put your money where your mouth is ;-)

So if I can produce evidence of great work then everything I said is to be taken true...

Jesus...

It shouldn't matter what I made in the past or how my work looks.

My work is NOT at matter here, the tools and workflow I use to get it done, on the other hand is.

I could be a lousy colorist with a fantastic workflow that could inspire a great potential colorist to discover a talent he could never find,

if he had to rent a $1000 an hour edit suite. I could also be a super colorist with a lousy workflow that no one could ever understand.

What I say, is meant to spark folks to try stuff out for themselves. Nothing more. And certainly NOT to copy.

I have been playing piano since I was 12. My piano teacher was GREAT. But he couldn't compose a tune even if his life depended on it.

But that did NOT yield his teaching skills less venemous !

PS -- Folks are too obsessed with what someone did.... They completely forget what kind of information they were looking for to empower themselves

1 2 Previous Next