6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2011 5:26 PM by Azza_act

Premiere CS5 and dynamic link with Affect effects doesn't "sync"

Azza_act

Hi guys, having issues with Pr and Ae CS5 using the dynamic link. I haven't got massive experience using aftereffects, i mainly edit. I doing VFX for a short film ( i know right, deep end..) Its a hand held combat scene.

I'm using action essentials 2 for muzzle flash and explosions. And i'm noticing that when a do tracking (manually, "track motion" doesn't work, due to the shaky camera movement) in After effects, the muzzle flashes are in place and looks great

but when i go back to Premiere to view the clip, its not hitting the same marks in every frame. I export the clip out of Premiere and still the same issue.

Abode track example.JPGexample of me manually tracking or adding keyframes for position in after effects.

Abode forums Ae still.JPGAdobe forum Pr still.jpg

After effects still.                                                                                                     Premiere still. See how the flashes are in the sky.

Look for the two muzzle flashes up the top right, on the ridge line.

The footage is AVCHD .MTS files for a Panasonic GH2 PAL

Here's a link to the clip, notice that same of the flashes coming out of the actor's gun isn't in the right positon also.

http://vimeo.com/32722285

Password: war

My computer specs

computer specs.PNG

Cheers Aaron

• 1. Re: Premiere CS5 and dynamic link with Affect effects doesn't "sync"
          Glitchdog Level 1

We are just shifing to PP from another editor and have only used PP to AE for color correction tests w/Color Finesse (a plugin in AE). My only experinece with dynamic link is in this way. Personally I find it very cumbersome. So take this with a grain of salt, but if we do other work in AE (we have an intern working on a 1.5 min AE animation) I will render it out in AE to ProRes HQ or 4444 if I need an alpha channel (or similar codec) and drag it into my project folder in PP.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere CS5 and dynamic link with Affect effects doesn't "sync"
            zikade Level 2

I was starting to add a lengthy response, until I recognized that it is in essence what glitchdog has said. Render it... There are some things which don't work too well, so you simply have to render the stuff.

• 3. Re: Premiere CS5 and dynamic link with Affect effects doesn't "sync"
              AtonMusic Level 2

Glitchdog wrote:

We are just shifing to PP from another editor and have only used PP to AE for color correction tests w/Color Finesse (a plugin in AE). My only experinece with dynamic link is in this way. Personally I find it very cumbersome. So take this with a grain of salt, but if we do other work in AE (we have an intern working on a 1.5 min AE animation) I will render it out in AE to ProRes HQ or 4444 if I need an alpha channel (or similar codec) and drag it into my project folder in PP.

You should do yourself a favor (Not meant with disrespect) and take a few hours and REALLY get down and dirty with Dynamic Link between PP and AE.

I use it all the time and it litterally saves me 10+ hours of work on EACH project which is typical between 70 and 300 clips.

In fact, I dont know how I'd do withouth DL.

At first it seems cumbersome, yes. But that is only until you get to know it...

I will cut the whole project in PP. Then save it.

Then in AE, I'll choose "Import PP Project " --- That will open my whole PP project in AE on SEPERATE layers (One layer per Clip).. Ready to CC.

I dont have to render a thing from PP.

If I need to, I'll use the AE Script "Pre Compose" to make an individual composition of each layer.

AE is just about the greatest app I have EVER seen on ANY computer ! Hands Down

Does not get ANY faster than that.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere CS5 and dynamic link with Affect effects doesn't "sync"
                Glitchdog Level 1

Thanks AntonMusic, I appreciate you sharing your experience and workflow. I had thought about that and did a quick test of a simple PP timeline w/the workflow you mentioned (found some other posts also refering to the same workflow). I'm learning, thanks for your honest frank feedback!

• 5. Re: Premiere CS5 and dynamic link with Affect effects doesn't "sync"
                  zikade Level 2

You might want to have a look at this: http://prolost.com/dvrg

A nce collection of tools, primarily for color correction, but also usable in quite a lot of situations.

• 6. Re: Premiere CS5 and dynamic link with Affect effects doesn't "sync"
                    Azza_act Level 1

Thanks for the advice guys! Much appreciated.