11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2011 3:26 PM by TᴀW

Having ID CS5.5 remember settings?

John Philpit

I'm writing a long document directly in InDesign (not the Story Editor or any 3rd-party app). There is one setting I'd like ID to remember, but it's not always happening.

Using typographer's quotation marks and apostrophes. After setting typographer's marks in the Preferences>Type dialog, each time I start a new story (which I do for each chapter) the setting reverts to straight quotes. I've tried checking the box and saving the setting both within an existing story and with no story selected, but it always seems to revert to straight quotes when I create a text frame not part of an existing thread. Is there a way to make the curved quotation marks the default? I've been using ID for many years and never remember this being a problem in earlier projects.

Thanks,

John

• 1. Re: Having ID CS5.5 remember settings?
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The quotes you get are dependant on the language setting of the text. So

even if you've used typographers quotes, check what language the text

has, and in Preferences you can set the type of quote you want for that

language.

Ariel

• 2. Re: Having ID CS5.5 remember settings?
            John Hawkinson Level 5

John:

After setting typographer's marks in the Preferences>Type dialog, each time I start a new story (which I do for each chapter) the setting reverts to straight quotes.

This does not sound normal.

All of your stories are within one INDD document, not a Book (INDB), yes?

Could you be hitting the key binding, "Toggle Typographer's Quotes Preference", aka Shift+Ctrl+Alt+' (Windows)  or Shift+Cmd+Opt+' (Mac)?

If not:

Do you see the same behavior in a brand new INDD document?

If so, it sounds to me like corrupt InDesign preferences.

If not, it sounds like a corrupt InDesign document.

Then for each of those cases:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

Clean corrupt files by exporting to Interchange Format (.inx): http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526991

• 3. Re: Having ID CS5.5 remember settings?

Before trashing preferenes, I would check the language setting for Basic

Paragraph.

Ariel

• 4. Re: Having ID CS5.5 remember settings?
                John Hawkinson Level 5

How would that effect the state of a checkbox?

• 5. Re: Having ID CS5.5 remember settings?
                  John Philpit Level 1

The languate seeting for [Basic Paragraph] as well as all the styles I created is "English - USA," which is what I want. I'm not sure how to implement the suggestion to "set the type of quote you want for [a specified] language." I don't see anywhere to do that in the Preferences dialog.

I am NOT using Shift+Ctrl+Alt+' (Windows) or any other Shift+Ctrl+Alt key chords. I tend to use the menu system over accelerators (even though I know it's slower).

I'll try creating a new document once I get back from lunch. The current document was created with an earlier version (either CS4 or CS5) and then not worked on for at least 2 years. I only noticed the problem when I started the current work a week ago using CS5.5.

Thanks for all the good suggestions.

John

• 6. Re: Having ID CS5.5 remember settings?

Sorry, we seem to be at cross purposes.

Nothing to do with checkboxes. The OP is having difficulty with his

quote marks as far as I've understood.

I'm suggesting that his Basic Paragraph is perhaps not set to the

language he or she expects. In Preferences>Dictionary the user can set

what quote marks to associate with which language. So perhaps that's why

they're not seeing the quotes they expect.

Ariel

PS Incidentally, I'm answering by email to a thread called "Having ID

CS5.5 remember settings?". Perhaps it's being posted to the wrong thread?

• 7. Re: Having ID CS5.5 remember settings?

Go to Preferences>Dictionary to set your quotes on a per-language basis.

Ariel

• 8. Re: Having ID CS5.5 remember settings?
                        John Philpit Level 1

In the Dictionary tab of the Preferences dialog, the styles for single and double quotes do not include the typographical marks in the dropdown list. The options do include such styles as whether to use (a) the French style of double-angle brackets, (b) straight opening quotes that lean to the left, (c) straight opening quotes that lean to the right, (d) opening quotes that sit down near the baseline instead up above the x-height, and several other variations.

Is that the problem, that the rounded quote symbols are not in the list (and therefore not selected)?

I don't think so because I created a new document (while the old one was still open). I created a text frame and started typing in it. The typographer's quotes that I want appear as I type. And when I open the Dictionary tab from this new document I see the identical list of options for quotation mark styles.

I'm thinking maybe I have to create a new document and paste in the text from the old doument. Does anyone see a way to avoid that work? It's currently about 50 pages in 9 threads, so not too large a task at this point.

Thanks,

John

PS, Ariel, you are submitting answers to the correct thread.

• 9. Re: Having ID CS5.5 remember settings?
                          John Hawkinson Level 5

Arïel:

Sorry, we seem to be at cross purposes.

Nothing to do with checkboxes. The OP is having difficulty with his

quote marks as far as I've understood.

Nope, read carefully! Everything to do with checkboxes. John, the OP as you style him, has reported that he has checked this checkbox, and then later found it unchecked:

typo.png

(Unless I'm misunderstanding him!) That can only happen from either toggling it explicitly, by dialog or script, or by some sort of corruption, be it document, application, or otherwise. Or perhaps a third party extension. Or a bizarre straight-quote virus.

John:

I'm thinking maybe I have to create a new document and paste in the text from the old doument. Does anyone see a way to avoid that work? It's currently about 50 pages in 9 threads, so not too large a task at this point.

Please re-read my first post, #3 in this thread. You should:

Clean corrupt files by exporting to Interchange Format (.inx): http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526991

• 10. Re: Having ID CS5.5 remember settings?
                            John Philpit Level 1

OK, guys, I think we have a solution. At the suggestion of Mr. Hawkinson I exported my file to an IDML file and reopened it in ID. As a test, I created a new thread. When I started typing in the new text frame, I got the correct typographer's quotation marks without having to reset my preferences.

Thanks for all suggestions, with a big thanks for doing all this on a Sunday.

All the best to everyone!

John

• 11. Re: Having ID CS5.5 remember settings?

John, you're quite right. It's been a long day.