2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2011 1:51 PM by 77mrd

Memory card recommendation?

77mrd

Hi guys,

Once again, I have a question... I always post in the forums. So i really appreciate all the help, and one day I hope to be knowledgeable enough to give back to the community.

So, I have a USB 2.0 disk reader. It reads all kinds of memory cards, including CF cards for Canon 5D2 DSLR. I am using a SanDisk 90 mb/s card. However, when I am copying files from the card to my PC, it only reads and downloads the files at 25mb/s.... pretty slow when you have 64gb per card!

Any reccomeded purchases that are not discontinued? I don't think my PC has USB 3.0 (which is what they have out now for these card readers). How can I find out to make sure I have USB 3.0? I think there was a CPU-Z plug in? I need to check on that cpu-z anyway, so I'll go ahead on that now.

Thanks,

MrD

• 1. Re: Memory card recommendation?
          RjL190365 Level 4

You need a new card reader with a faster interface, such as SATA or eSATA. USB 2.0 is limited in sequential speed to about 30 MB/s maximum.

And the only way to add USB 3.0 capability on a system that lacks such capability is to add an internal USB 3.0 controller card. CPU-Z cannot increase the speed of a slow interface at all.

• 2. Re: Memory card recommendation?
            77mrd Level 1

Hi RJL

I am aware CPU-Z is not a tweaking app. I was saying that it might be able to tell me if I have usb2.0 or 3.0.

So internal add 3.0 capibility directly to the motherboard. I will look into that.