4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2011 4:40 AM by Peter Spier

1/2 page Ad - Input Required

vvanherk

Hello.

I need to put a 1/2 page Ad together for print.

I'm a software developer, not a designer, but I'm doing this to help someone out. 

I have CS3, some basic photoshop skills, and have poked around InDesign just a bit.

The ad is not too complex.  There will be stock  photo background image(s), the company logo (existing) front and center, and then various vendor logos(existing) surrounding company logo.  There may be some text added, but minimal.

I could use some input around workflow, and making sure I create the documents in the correct size and format.

I'm assuming I should do my background images and logo placement within Photoshop, and then put that into InDesign for any text and finalize document.

I've included the mechanical requirements below.  Based on that, if someone could provide input on proper approach, Photoshop document settings (dimensions, dpi, etc), InDesign document settings, etc, etc, that would be great.

Any input appreciated, as well as any links on 'HowTo' related to this subject.

Kind Regards,

vvanherk

MECHANICAL

REQUIREMENTS

• Trim size of publication is 8” X 10.5”

• “Live” image area is 7” X 9-5/8”

• “Bleed” pages must have 1/4” bleed all

sides (i.e. 8.5” X 11”)

• Half Page image area is

7-1/4” W X 4-1/2 “ H

• All images scanned at 300 DPI

• DPS - trim size is 16” X 10-1/2”, with the

full bleed size being 16-1/2” X 11”

• 1. Re: 1/2 page Ad - Input Required
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Create an InDesign document the size of the finished ad. Place the various bits of art separately. It's MUCH easier to work if you don't composite in Photoshop.

• 2. Re: 1/2 page Ad - Input Required
            vvanherk Level 1

Hello Peter.

Thanks for the input. 

So, based on the requirements stating:

- Half Page image area is 7-1/4” W X 4-1/2 “ H

Do I create my InDesign document exactly that size.  Do I need to set anything for bleed options, or would that only be required for a full page ad?

• 3. Re: 1/2 page Ad - Input Required
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Depends on whether your ad is going to bleed. Does the publicaiton permit that, and does your design call for it?

Usually half page ads don't bleed, but it's technically possible. Let's assume you're not bleeding. Make it exactly that size and set no bleed options.

Except...why is your half page image area 1/4" wider than the full page live area? That...err...I'm going to let someone else speculate on that. I would double-check your specs. Or just design your ad to tolerate a 3.5% reduction .

• 4. Re: 1/2 page Ad - Input Required
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

John Hawkinson wrote:

Except...why is your half page image area 1/4" wider than the full page live area? That...err...I'm going to let someone else speculate on that. I would double-check your specs. Or just design your ad to tolerate a 3.5% reduction .

I didn't even catch that untill you mentioned it. Badly written spec, in my opinion.

What it looks like to me is the half page size fits in inside the page without bleed, leaving a theoretical 3/8 margin left and right. I would set up that size, or narrower, and presume no bleed (though you can certainly use a solid-filled background if you like or bring art right to the edge of your ad if it sits inside the page boundaries).  Are you able to get a sample magazine to see waht other ads look like? I f not, a call to the folks putting it together might get you some clarification. Ask to talk to someone in Production, not a sales rep.