1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 28, 2011 12:14 AM by John Hawkinson

XslFo to IDML conversion

RabiaZee82

Hi

I am pretty new to InDesign, and still doing some analysis of this tool. I have a question for InDesign gurus, and may be someone can answer me.

I have xml and set of Stylesheets (xslFo). I use these to generate PDF format previously.

Now I also want to generate IDML format for my client, so that they can view the file in InDesign as well. How do I export my data (xml) and formatting information (layout) to InDesign.

- One way I see is to generate indegisn tagged text from my xml+xsl (I will have to figure out some other way for images, as indesign tagged text is for text elements only)

- built a plugin for indesign (using SDK), so that I can then export my xml directly into indesign?

I am still figuring how this works, but may be my target tasks XML + XSL --> IDML format is a piece of cake for any InDesign expert, who can tell me how to achieve this task easily.

Thanks in advance.

Rabia

• 1. Re: XslFo to IDML conversion
          John Hawkinson Level 5

This stuff is not pleasant and not easy.

There are a few choices:

- One way I see is to generate indegisn tagged text from my xml+xsl (I will have to figure out some other way for images, as indesign tagged text is for text elements only)

That's one of them. You could insert the images with scripting.

- built a plugin for indesign (using SDK), so that I can then export my xml directly into indesign?

That is almost certainly the wrong answer. Writing plugins is nearly impossibly difficult, there are many easier solutions.

You could convert your XSL:FO into RTF. That would probably be a pain, but about as hard as InDesign Tagged Text, and it has support for inline images. XSLT.

You could convert your XSL:FO into IDML. You seem to have suggested that is too hard? You should be able to do it with XSLT though. I guess it depends on how complex your XSL:FO is.

You could write an InDesign script to read your XSL:FO file and create the elements in InDesign. This might be easier if you are not well-versed in XSLT.

You could also use XSLT to convert your XSL:FO into a generic XML format that InDesign's XML import would read. It's fairly particular about how it handles images, but they are certainly supported. This is probably easier than IDML though.

I would imagine you could find some consultants who have done this work before, but I don't know where. Probably not on this forum