3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2011 12:54 PM by nealeh

Naming clips with sequential filenames?

julianelliott Level 1

I am re-engaging in a projecr begun months ago to transfer old analog VHS tapes to digital and then edit into more streamlined (and interesting) home movies.  With the help of this forum, I upgraded my HW (WD Caviar Black drives, Grass Valley A-D converter, etc.)  All good.  I am using Premier Elements 4.0, and don't wish to upgrade unless critical.  While I like tweaking my system, my wife is impatient for me to move on with my project, and minimize the computer support!

A question on workflow:

I intend to play each tape thru at least once, and save clips for later editing.  I plan to save several clips on each tape, and want a file naming scheme to id clips for each tape.  It seems that should be straightforward, as clips are supposedly sequentially named as defined on the Capture screen.  However, the clips aren't named sequentially;  each is assigned a screwy <projectname>_01,0101,1, etc. sequence rather than <projectname>_1, 2, 3, etc.  In fact, it seems like binary code or something. 

Is there a trick to setting a straightforward sequential filename protocol assigned to each clip?  This is a basic capability of Photoshop Elements and Lightroom.

Thanks,

Julian

• 1. Re: Naming clips with sequential filenames?
          nealeh Level 5

There are a myriad of renaming options in the Organiser:

Basic (notice from the drop down box marker that less than half of the basic rename options are shown):

1.png

Advanced (especially notice that there are many more choices available from the drop-downs.

2.png

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Naming clips with sequential filenames?
            julianelliott Level 1

Hi Neale,

Thx for the response.  These links seem to refer to Photoshop Elements, if I'm not mistaken. I use this naming function extensively and find it very useful.  I had assumed there was a similar ability in Premier, but I can't seem to find it.  Am I overlooking something?

Julian

• 3. Re: Naming clips with sequential filenames?
              nealeh Level 5

Since PRE9 the Elements Organizer is a discrete application. When you say they refer to Photoshop Elements that is no longer the case. The Elements Organizer is a common source repository accessible by both Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements.

Hope that makes things a little clearer.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children