13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 1:08 PM by McBuff

4 minute video looks fine-8minute video is choppy

McBuff Level 1

I've been trying to export my project. It's an 8 and half minute project. . .one segment. If I export 3 minutes sections. . .each section is beautiful and smooth. If I try to export the whole thing. . .it is choppy. . .very bad. . .like riding on a bumpy road of gravel. I've tried everything. . .every setting. . .turned off virus software. . . .everything. . same thing. . .3 minute segments. . beautiful. . . .which means I have three separate videos. . no good. . . .if I try to export all 8 minutes. . .CHOPPY. . . .what am I missing?

• 1. Re: 4 minute video looks fine-8minute video is choppy
          Colin Brougham Level 6

No idea. You haven't told us anything about your system, your source footage, your sequence settings, your export settings, how you're playing back the exported video, etc. We don't even know what version of Premiere Pro you're using.

• 2. Re: 4 minute video looks fine-8minute video is choppy
            McBuff Level 1

But has anyone ever heard of this problem. . . .if I cut the project into three and export each segment. . .each one looks fine and runs smooth. . .this would tend to eliminate a lot of possibilities don't you think?. . .I mean 4 minutes and its beautiful. . .I have no problem. ..as long as my project is 5 minutes or less. . . . .if I export the entire eight minutes. . .its choppy. . .It would seem to me all the info about my system, versions. .settings. . . export settings etc. . .are not relelvent yet to the question. .I've changed my setting so many times I've lost court. . .I even turned off my virus software thinking it might be that. . .. . .nothing works believe me. . . . . . I'm asking if anyone has heard of a similar problem and it would seem to be a very specific answer. 4 minutes ok. . .8 minutes choppy. . I've looked thru many forums and haven't found anybody with this problem. . .either its all choppy or its fine. . . .not fine AND choppy.. . .

Premier pro 5.5

Windows 7 64 bit

12 gigs RAM

1280 x 720 29.97 fps Output

Input: 1280 x 1080  . . 29.97 fps (I tired to output at this rate too. . .same thing)

Been mostly trying H.264 format. . .but I've tried them all. . .same thing. . . .4 minutes segments. . .each one beaurtiful. . .put them all together. . .CHOPPY.. . .I'm ready to give up. . .can't make video's over 5 minutes with PP-CS5.5

• 3. Re: 4 minute video looks fine-8minute video is choppy
              Powered by Design Level 4

Just a guess but maybe your system is heating up on longer video.

Do a test and watch the temps while you are encoding.

Also how many Hard Drives do you have ?

GLenn

• 4. Re: 4 minute video looks fine-8minute video is choppy
                McBuff Level 1

I have one hard drive.. . .but here's another aspect to the mystery. . . .I uploaded the choppy video to YouTube. . .it runs smoothly and looks absolutely normal. . .even when I bring it up to full screen. . .HUH??!!

• 5. Re: 4 minute video looks fine-8minute video is choppy
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>one hard drive

Below minimum specification... you need at least one drive for boot and all software, and a separate 7200rpm physical drive (never a partition) for video files

My 3 hard drives are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions

Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work

You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand

A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing

You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything

I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit

Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing

Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208?tstart=0 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433?tstart=0 use USB externals for editing

A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used the eSata Dock below... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

• 6. Re: 4 minute video looks fine-8minute video is choppy