39 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2011 5:46 PM by Bill Gehrke

Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?

howard.z

Hi Folks,

I'm back with another beginner question. I recently bought a new computer off the shelf. It's an HP envy laptop. Here are the specs:

Processor: Intel core i7 2630QM CPU @ 2.00 Ghz 2.00 Ghz

Installed Memory: 8 GB RAM

System type: 64 bit operating system

Is it possible to run Premiere effectively on an laptop? I have been running it, but it can be a bit slow, depending on what plug-ins I'm using. Magic Bullet colorista really slows down encoding times. And the neat video de-noiser makes premiere run pretty slowly too. I have been using Premiere to help do color correction on my large collection of Asian DVD's. Older films from China in particular are in dire need of TLC, and I`ve been fixing them up nicely, but I feel like Premiere could be running a bit faster. What would you say is a reasonable amount of time to encode a feature film of about 90 min to MPEG-2, with various filters like colorista or neat video applied? It's been taking me upwards of 10 hours. Is that normal?

Thanks again for the help!

Howard

• 1. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
          Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Looks ok, I run a XEON Quad Core 2.27Ghz Workstation with 16 GB Ram i7 64 bit, but, an Adobe Approved Nvidia Fx 3800 Video card which does quicken rendering etc up a bit, CPU is only extended to 98% Working capicity at odd times with 1920 x 1080p H.264 clips and some effects, on timeline,

What I have seen of laptops is that the performance may not be as good and there may be some sort of over heating , check out Adobe's Minimum Specifications on their web site.>www.adobe.com/au/products/premiere/tech-specs.html  Encoding of that feature film appears too long. Some of the other experts may have a suggestion ?

The speed of CS5.5.2 and the Mercury Engine is nothing short of exceptional , that 10 hours sounds like you are running a 3.4Ghz Hyper -Threaded Pentium 4 which is only 32 bit and will not run CS5 .5.2 any how.

Good luck

Message was edited by: Bob Dix Photographer

• 2. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
            Powered by Design Level 4

Take the PPBM5 test and it will tell you how your system runs Premiere.

http://ppbm5.com/

Glenn

• 3. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
              zikade Level 2

Ain't no expert on that, but that question has been asked before. Summary: you can spend more than 10000€/$/£ for a high-end system and would still look for more speed. One of the more exciting features is the rendering using CUDA, the Mercury Payback Engine. This really speeds things up considerably but most laptops don't have a compatible card. But you want to make sure if your laptops gpu is exchangeable or not. If it is, and you can get one of the cards listed in Bob's link above you'll see an immediate effect in everything from previewing your effects to

How about trying to encode the movie you were taking about without any effects applied (Denoiser, which I think is a greatly enhanced Median, is a ***** in rendering time) and comparing the results?

• 4. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

If you look at the Benchmark Results and select under Computer Type 'Laptops', you will find at rank 421 a Dell Inspiron system very similar to your own, same CPU, same memory, but maybe a better video card and it uses an USB3 external disk as the required 2-nd disk. It is 7 times slower than a fast desktop. If you only have a single disk, your systyem will be significantly slower, if you have an ATI video card, it will be even slower.

This is a best case scenario, since another laptop with the same CPU, more memory (12) and an even better video card can be found at rank 542 which is almost 19 times slower than a fast desktop, despite the use of a SSD boot disk and a fast 7200 SATA 2-nd disk.

Is it possible to run Premiere effectively on an laptop?

If you use difficult effects from plug-ins, that do not benefit from hardware MPE, it is to be expected to be darn slow. So the answer is: NO, NOT effectively. Only in a very slow manner. Portability must be really important to you, to make such slow editing a worthwhile consideration.

• 5. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

It would help us if you gave us the model number.  Besides adding a high speed external disk drive to optimize your setup you have to expand the RAM memory to at least 16 GB. I am looking at the HP ENVY 17 3D series (but it does not fully match your specs above) and see that on it there is no nVidia GPU option.available for it.  Secondly it only has two RAM DIMM slots so you would have pull out the current ones and buy the much more expensive 8 GB modules.  This HP ENVY 17 3D model does list that it supports two internal hard drives

The ENVY 14 series does not meet Premiere's minimum screen size requirement

• 6. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                    howard.z Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the help, folks! I am running an HP Envy 17 3D computer. I bought it because I pretty much always buy laptops. I am open to getting a desktop, though. Is there anything "off the shelf" that you guys can recommend?

Thanks again for the help!

Howard

• 7. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                      howard.z Level 1

How does this look to you guys?

Intel i5 2500k cpu

GA-z68x-ud4 motherboard

4gig 2x2 gskillz ripjaw ram

500gig harddrive

Evga gtx 460 SC

Roseweli 630w 80+psu

It has the GTX video card, which looks like a solid performer. Would the I5 processor destroy performance?

Thanks!

Howard

• 8. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                        RjL190365 Level 4

Howard,

Here are the three major problems with pre-built desktop PCs:

1) They may be attractively priced in their base configurations that are unsuitable for video editing (i.e. equipped with a very low-end CPU, only integrated/onboard graphics, a single hard drive for absolutely everything). But these big companies often charge you an astronomically high price (and often, they charge double or even triple what those same upgrade components cost at full retail) to upgrade anything at all through them. As a result, you could end up paying $2,500 for a system that performs slower than a self-built system or a custom-built system that costs half as much.

2) In addition, pre-built PCs often come loaded with a ton of bloatware (i.e. unnecessary programs that load automatically with Windows and eat up so much system resources) that slow down system performance even more. Worse, some of this bloatware is extremely difficult or even impossible to completely remove.

3) These pre-builts offer virtually no tweakability whatsoever. This means that overclocking the CPU is impossible, and it also restricts the compatibility of system RAM (high-performance RAM, for example, will run only at low-performance fail-safe settings).

So, if you must have a PC built by someone else, go to a company like ADK that knows how to build proper video editing systems.

• 9. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                          zikade Level 2

How about 16gb memory? And, while we are at it, try to get a RAID. Just recently I got a Raidsonic eSata enclosure for around 90€ for backup, but since it has a sustained data rate of about 210 MB/s you might even use it for editing. And an i7 instead of an i5...

• 10. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                            RjL190365 Level 4

Howard,

That build is much less than ideal. Frist off, that PSU is a very low-quality unit that might not be able to handle its rated 630W. In fact, its maximum usable output is only about 360W. You see, a lot of companies flat-out lie about the output of their PSUs. Go with an 80-Plus Gold-rated PSU from a known good brand such as Corsair and from a known good actual manufacturer such as Sea Sonic.

Second, the i5-2500K (as far as PPro CS5.5 is concerned) performs only on a par with the lowest of the first-generation i7-9xx CPUs such as the i7-920 or 930. But why stop there when you can buy so much faster for a little more money (and yes, I'm recommending an i7-2600K or 2700K)?

Third, 4GB is way too little RAM to run PPro smoothly. You need at least 8GB (but preferably 16GB) of RAM for that system (and with DDR3 RAM prices now at an all-time low, you might as well go with 4x4GB modules).

Fourth, with only a single hard drive for absolutely everything, your proposed build could end up being slower in CS5.x than a three-year-old low-end system. But with hard drive prices being as high as they are curently, I'd recommend adding two (and only two - not one, not three) additional hard drives for the time being.

• 11. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                              howard.z Level 1

Cool, okay, so I should be looking at an i7, and at least 16 GB RAM. The GTX 480 or 580 video card seems popular. Am I on the right track?

Edit - 3 hard drives!

Thanks again!

Howard

• 12. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                RjL190365 Level 4

Howard,

You should be getting at least a GTX 560 for that proposed i7-2600K or 2700K build. The GTX 580 is the fastest GPU, but a tad overkill for that upper-mainstream level build.

And go with 16GB (and only 16GB at this time). 32GB on LGA 1155 requires super-expensive 8GB modules, which currently cost five to six times more money than 4GB modules (the equivalent of 2.5 to 3 times more expensive per GB for the 8GB modules). So, while 4x4GB of RAM can be bought for $80 to $90, 4x8GB of RAM currently costs well over $400.

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                  howard.z Level 1

Hi,

I'm emailig a local company today to have a computer made up for me and this is what I got so far:

i7 980x - Or should I be asking for another model

16 GB RAM - Sounds good! Thanks RjL!?

GTX 560 video card

2 Hard drives - Is there a particular make of hard drive I should be asking for?

Thanks!

Howard

• 14. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                    RjL190365 Level 4

Your info is a bit out of date. In that case, you should not be looking at an i7-980x at all since it requires an X58 motherboard (it will not even fit into the socket of a Z68 motherboard since the 980x is LGA 1366 while the Z68 accepts only LGA 1155 CPUs). Plus, the 1366/X58 platform is now made obsolete with the introduction of the LGA 2011/X79 platform (but currently, only two CPUs are available for it - the i7-3930K and the i7-3960X).

And the old 1366/X58 platform actually requires RAM modules to be installed in sets of three for best performance: The memory controller in the i7-9xx is triple-channel, not dual- or quad-channel. Hence, if you do go with an i7-980 despite my current recommendation against it, you really should be looking at 24GB (6x4GB). However, since the memory controller in the high-end Intel CPUs is (relatively speaking) bandwidth-starved compared with that in the mainstream Intel CPUs (because the triple- and quad-channel IMCs had to be restricted in total bandwidth in order to fit inside Intel's claimed TDP for those CPUs), it's no wonder why the high-end Intel CPUs currently underwhelm in performance (relative to their potential and their prices).

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                      zikade Level 2

If you go for this - which I wouldn't recommend since its currently being replaced by a newer one - you should go to 24 GB memory, preferably 6x4 Gb, since this is a triple channel memory platform. On the other hand, the i7-2700, even having only 4 cores, is nevertheless on par with the 6-core CPU in most respects and has a lower price as well. Unfortunately, most Z68 motherboards have only 4 memory slots, so there is no room at all for future expansion.

The newer X79 boards appear to have 8 slots, the i7 3930 has also 6 cores - so I your supplier offers you one of these, go for it...

• 16. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                        howard.z Level 1

Okay! I have a line on this machine:

Intel 2nd gereration i7 2600K quad CPU 3.4ghz, 3.8ghz turbo

Asus P8P67 Deluxe Rev3 motherboard

Corsair 8gb 1600mhz ddr3 memory - or 16gb total if needed

GTX460

OCZ 1000w power supply

This has got to be good. Looks very similar to the top machines at the PPBM5.com site!

Thanks again!

• 17. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                          RjL190365 Level 4

Getting closer. However, I'd still recommend spending a little more money and getting a newer-generation GTX 560 Ti instead of the older GTX 460.

And for that i7-2600K or 2700K, 1000W on the PSU is overkill unless you are planning to run two GTX 580s in the same system (however, Adobe PPro currently does not support more than one GPU for GPU acceleration). A good 750W to 850W PSU is ideal.

• 18. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                            howard.z Level 1

Okay, this is what I'm getting:

Intel i7 2600K quad CPU 3.4ghz, 3.8ghz turbo - 4 core 8 threads - overclocks easy up to 4.2ghz with supplied intel cooler, 4.9ghz with other coolers. It is the highest cpu new Sandy Bridge 1155 CPU. It is FASTER then i7 975 quad core! And it is the 2600K (higher) model CPU not 2600.

.. Asus P8P67 Deluxe Rev3 motherboard. One of the best Sandy boards available - front and rear usb 3.0, 6gbps sata, 32gb max memory, 3 video cards, esata power, 2 lan, bluetooth, firewire, and more. . .. . ..

.. 1tb WD hard drive - or more (ask if interested)

.. Corsair 8gb 1600mhz ddr3 memory - or 16gb total for more (ask if interested). Cooling metal covers.

.. GTX260 2 monitor video card - HDMI DVI - good 3Dgaming card and fast.

.. DVD writer 24x speed

.. Multi-memory card reader and writer. SD,CF,Duo,xD, minis, and more. I don't remember all types it takes.

.. Thermaltake Black V4 case -- usb 3.0 & usb 2.0 in front -- you can plug a usb 2.0 device in usb 3.0

.. OCZ 1000w power supply

I am able to customize this, so I am thinking of going for a better video card, like the GTX 560 or 460. Is there any particular hard drive I should be getting? Ang I guess I should be getting two HD's?

Thanks again! I feel like I'm getting closer to a good system!

Howard

• 19. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Howard,

The i7-2600K, especially overclocked, is very fast. If you add to that a GTX 460 or 560, you start with the basic ingredients for a nice system. Only add about 5 or  6 HDD's and you have a nice system.

1.  C: Boot & program disk

2, 3.  D: 2 x Aid0, media & projects

4, 5.  E: 2 x Aid0, media cache, previews and exports

6. first backup disk

7. second backup disk

If you do not add those disks, your system is strangled from the beginning and an utter waste of such a CPU.

• 20. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                howard.z Level 1

Hi Harm!

You don't think that an SSD is the way to go?

Thanks!

Howard

• 21. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Today, with the almost tripled prices of conventional HDD's in comparison to three months ago, SSD's are getting closer, but still not worth it IMO.

The hugely exaggerated HDD prices are a temporary thing and I expect them to be more reasonable in about 4 - 6 months time and then SSD's are no longer an issue, unless their reliability, capacity and performance go up and their prices come down. At the moment there is no advantage during editing from using SSD's. See: Adobe Forums: The SSD myth unraveled

Disregarding the cost of the raid controller, I currently have 16 1 TB HDD's internally, that cost around € 660 three months ago (now around € 1760), but to get the same storage capacity with SSD's will set me back around € 20800 based on Crucial M4 512 GB today. That requires 8 x 5.25" slots and HDD's require 10 x 5.25" slots. So my benefit of using SSD's is two 5.25" slots at the meager cost of around € 19000 at today's prices with no performance gain to show for it.

You can deduct my feelings about SSD's from the above argument.

• 22. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                    howard.z Level 1

Hi Harm!

Thanks for the help. What size hard drives should I be considering for this config?:

1. C: Boot & program disk

2, 3. D: 2 x Aid0, media & projects

4, 5. E: 2 x Aid0, media cache, previews and exports

6. first backup disk

7. second backup disk

Also, I'd like to ask - Do you consider this to be massive overkill for a relative beginner? What I've been using premiere for is to clean up retail DVD's that I have in my collection. I have also been digtizing extremely rare VCD's and VHS tapes. With premiere, I've managed to bring life back into films that have been drained of color, have been telecined poorly, or come from crappy sources. It's been tremendous, and I want to build on that.

Thanks!

Howard

• 23. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

For a relative beginner with 'lowly' demands I would look at something like this:

1. C: Boot & program disk , Samsung Spinpoint F4 320 G

2, 3. D: 2 x Aid0, media & projects, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB

4, 5. E: 2 x Aid0, media cache, previews and exports, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB (but possibly only one disk, not a Aid0 in light of the exorbitant current prices)

6. first backup disk, almost any 2 TB 5900+ RPM disk, Hitachi, Seagate or WD

7. second backup disk, maybe not needed directly, unless your projects are big.

• 24. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                        lucar10

Hi all!. I have been looking at this helpful site for sometime kind of to get an idea how to built my own (first) editing system. You guys are wondelful support for people like me with basic acknowledge of computers but anxious to learn from professionals like you. Thanks for all you do for us!!

As I said, I had (still do) in mind to biult my own system for Premiere CS5. My problems started when I purchased my Sony NX5U some months ago and my "old" computer started to pull my hears telling me that it needed a big change to handle the AvcHD files( I had to convert them into an avi file to be able to work with them with my Matrox RTX2).

I do edit video on a regular basis and of course want a reliable, durable, fast and affordable system. Based on all the recommendations given to Howard ( I would add a couple of Blu-ray burners, GTX560 video card, and later the Matrox MXO2 mini with max -in the meantime I will use the RTX2-)

1. What changes would you do to this?:

Intel i7 2600K quad CPU 3.4ghz, 3.8ghz turbo - 4 core 8 threads - overclocks easy up to 4.2ghz with supplied intel cooler, 4.9ghz with other coolers

Asus P8P67 Deluxe Rev3 motherboard

C:\500gb hard drive ( I don't thing I would need a bigger hd?)

2 (1tb). D: 2 x Aid0, media & projects

2 (1Tb) E: 2 x Aid0, media cache, previews and exports

1 (1Tb). first backup disk

16gb ram

GTX560

Blu-ray drives (2)

Multi-memory card reader

What case and recommended size/type?

850w power supply?

What else should I add to this list??

As I mentioned I am a person with basic level on computers but eager to learn. I just need to go to the right direction with the right directions which I am pretty sure I will get here. Any ideas or thoughts would be really appreciated.

On the other side, does anyone recommend a place where to check for custom made video editing systems and to compare prices? My budget is around $2,500. I do not think I could get any customized system for that money out there unless I built it myself.

Thanks!!

• 25. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                          Darren Kelly Level 1

If you are in the US, you can visit videoguys (search their name) they have been building editing systems for atleast 15 years. They have standard systems, which they sell very easily.

If you are going to spend that much $$, whynot actually buy an Adobe supported card like the 570. $80-$100 more, but then you can rule out the video card if there is an issue.

You want 7200RPM drives - a minimum of 2 raid 0 together will make a pretty fast delivery system. 3 if you can afford the.

Hope this helps

DBK

• 26. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                            howard.z Level 1

Okay, looks like this is what I'm going for:

Intel i7 2600K quad CPU 3.4ghz, 3.8ghz turbo - 4 core 8 threads - overclocks easy up to 4.2ghz with supplied intel cooler, 4.9ghz with other coolers. It is the highest cpu new Sandy Bridge 1155 CPU. It is FASTER then i7 975 quad core! And it is the 2600K (higher) model CPU not 2600.

.. Asus P8P67 Deluxe Rev3 motherboard. One of the best Sandy boards available - front and rear usb 3.0, 6gbps sata, 32gb max memory, 3 video cards, esata power, 2 lan, bluetooth, firewire, and more. . .. . ..

.. 2tb WD hard drive

.. Corsair (fast gen3 6g model) 120gb ssd

.. Corsair 16gb 1600mhz ddr3 memory

.. GTX560ti

.. DVD writer 24x speed

.. Multi-memory card reader and writer. SD,CF,Duo,xD, minis, and more. I don't remember all types it takes.

.. Thermaltake Black V4 case -- usb 3.0 & usb 2.0 in front -- you can plug a usb 2.0 device in usb 3.0

I'm getting this for 1700.00 Canadian dollars, which I think is fair. I don't think I'll do the 6 HHD thing yet. I'm not there when it comes to the demands of my projects, but the space will be there to grow into that as time moves on.

• 27. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                              Darren Kelly Level 1

Looks good, but you will get better throughput if you have a RAID for video editing. Buy 2 X1GB instead of 1 2TB

Price is good. I'm in Kingston,Ont. where are U

• 28. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                                howard.z Level 1

stupid question - what is "throughput"? I'm in Montreal.

• 29. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                                  lucar10 Level 1

Thanks Darren for the reply and recommendations. I am willing change component needed to have a decent editing unit. I hope I am not confusing anyone with my request since Howard started this topic...should I repost it as a new one or would it be still ok staying here??

Thanks, Luis

• 30. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                                    Darren Kelly Level 1

The amount of Data that can flow through your system. 2 drives are faster, and will have more mbs than a single drive.

I was in Montreal in October. Beautiful place.

DBK

• 31. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                                      howard.z Level 1

I'm not going to go with SSD. I'm thinking this should suffice:

..  2 X 1 GB HD, and 1 smaller HD for OS & Programs

.. Corsair (fast gen3 6g model) 120gb ssd

.. Corsair 16gb 1600mhz ddr3 memory

.. GTX560ti

.. DVD writer 24x speed

Considering that I'm not working with stock footage, the 2 X 1 GB HD, and 1 HD for OS & Programs should be more than enough, no?

• 32. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Slight correction:

the 2 X 1 GB HD, and 1 HD for OS & Programs should be more than enough

• 33. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                                          howard.z Level 1

Hi Guys!

Just an update: I got my system built & it's working like a dream! I took delivery last week! Thanks for the help!

• 34. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                                            RFMclaughlin3

Great Thread - thanks to everyone.

A couple of questions relating to the system above from a newbie:

• Why not use the latest Intel CPU, i7 3960?
                                                                            • Is the Intel 2600k better price/performance option?
                                                                            • Is the GTX560ti Adobe Approved? 
                                                                            • Can someone explain Harm's storage philosophy, and the significance or 2 raid 0

Thanks in advance.

• 35. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                                              Darren Kelly Level 1

" Great Thread - thanks to everyone.

A couple of questions relating to the system above from a newbie:

• Why not use the latest Intel CPU, i7 3960?

You can if you choose, but it's much more expensive, and I don't think you'll experience a tremendous amount of improvement.

• Is the Intel 2600k better price/performance option?

Yes

• Is the GTX560ti Adobe Approved?

No it's not. It reportedly works, but the approved card is the GTX570

• Can someone explain Harm's storage philosophy, and the significance or 2 raid 0

Harm can do this himself, but 2-4 drives stripped together will give you faster performance than 1 drive alone. To run multiple layers, and things like uncompressed, you need more throughput of data. A Raid 0 will do that for you.

Good Luck

• 36. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Can someone explain Harm's storage philosophy, and the significance or 2 raid 0

Let me try to explain by using an analogy.

You have a huge lawn around your house and you need to water the grass periodically. If you have only a single small diameter garden hose, it will take a long time.

1. A solution would be to use more garden hoses at the same time, say one for the front, one for the back and two for the sides. By using this approach you can reduce the time required to 25% in contrast to using only a single garden hose.

2. A next step to further lower the time required is to use garden hoses with a bigger diameter, so you can spray more water on the lawn in the same time.

The presupposition is of course that the water pressure is high enough to handle multiple garden hoses, even with a larger diameter at the same time.

To return to the computer terminology, step 1 is comparable to using multiple phyiscal disks where each disk represents a garden hose.

Step 2 is comparable to using striped or parity raids where each array represents a bigger diameter garden hose.

Of course the available water pressure then represents the system performance of the other components, like CPU, memory and GPU. That implies that the benefit of more and bigger hoses will be larger if the water pressure is higher. When the system is relatively weak in terms of CPU, memory or GPU and thus the water pressure is lower, the effect of more hoses and bigger diameter will be smaller.

Of course this also implies that if you have a small lawn (few video tracks, short duration etc.) the need for more garden hoses and bigger hoses is less than when you have a large lawn (many video tracks, long duration, etc.)

Hope this explains my philosophy.

• 37. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                                                  John Dimick Level 1

An easy question, I hope:

Where does one put "My Documents"?

Whenever I build a new home PC, one of the first things I do is move "My Documents" to a separate drive. I usually just move it to a separate disk and call it D: DATA.  This is a very common practice.

Now I am building a new PC and I want to use it to learn Adobe Premiere and Photoshop. I see people discussing where to put OS, media cache, page file, scratch disks, exports, etc, but I never see anyone mention where the everyday non-Adobe data should go -- you know, the various doc, txt, xls, PDF and other miscellaneous data files that gather day by day.

My guess is that within this new Adobe-centric system I am going to build, "My Documents" can (should?) be mapped to the same drive as the export files?

Here is what I am planning so far:

i7 3930K

ASUS P9X79 Pro

GTX 580

Crucial 16G DDR3 PC14900 1866MHz RAM

Crucial 256G M4 SSD

Antec P280 case

HDDs (so far) look like this:

1. 256G M4 SSD for OS, programs

2. 3. Aid0 WD Black Caviar for media assets, projects (2x1T)

4. ?

5. ?

I'm not sure where to put "My Documents," media cache, previews, exports, and paging when "My Documents" is in the mix.

Full data backups are made daily to two other computers on my home network, and once weekly to an external drive, so I don't feel the need for RAID5 or internal backup drives on this new system. Also, with so many HDDs, the case will get hot, which requires fans turned high, which makes a lot of noise, and I dislike a noisy PC. So I am hoping to find an acceptable balance between effectiveness and noise. I'd rather not use eight HDDs if I can be happy with fewer. I might consider moving some of the HDDs into an external RAID box later, but my budget will not allow that in the near future.

• 38. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                                                    RFMclaughlin3 Level 1

Very clear, thanks.

Yet the more I read, the more overwhelmed I seem to get.  My needs are driven by my desire to edit HD Video, which is where I currently get most bogged down.  Dont know what else is as demanding of a computer.  At the risk of being repetitive, for which I apologize, I'd like to ask a few more questions:

• CPU - I read a lot about the i7 2600k, 2700k and the 3960x.  Money aside isnt choosing the lastest/greatest always best?  Appreciate insight and analysis and recommendation?
                                                                                    • Mobo - too much to consider - would appreciate best in class for each CPU - I only plan on 1 monitor, need few firewires, usual USB 2.0 and 3.0, etc
                                                                                    • GPU - I see that Adobe only recommends the gtx570, why not go for the gtx580 - any preference in manufacturer
                                                                                    • Ram - I'm on board with above recommendations
                                                                                    • Storage - I get the principles would follow Harm's advice above - btw - what do people use for backup software?
                                                                                    • Cooling - does the CPU come with its own cooling, do I need an additional fan for the Tower - don't plan on OC'ing

Thanks again very much - all new stuff to me.  Very grateful for your help.

Richard

• 39. Re: Best System for running Premiere Pro 5.5?
                                                                                      Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

RFMclaughlin3 wrote:

• CPU - I read a lot about the i7 2600k, 2700k and the 3960x.  Money aside isnt choosing the lastest/greatest always best?  Appreciate insight and analysis and recommendation?

I always have purchased the latest and greatest, but I have a friend who always said I am "always at the bleeding edge" and that is true.  Another friend just the other day has told me that he is getting bald pulling his hair out with this first crop of x79 boards.

• GPU - I see that Adobe only recommends the gtx570, why not go for the gtx580 - any preference in manufacturer

I have a GTX 580, and for the next month or two it is the fastest GPU available.  If you demand the best available today the GTX 580 is it.  It does average about $150 more than the GTX 570.  Sometime in the first quarter of 2012 nVidia is rumored to potentially release a GTX 780.  The GTX 780 will have twice as many cores as the GTX 580.  Do you have any old PCIe GPU around that you could get by with for a few months?

• Cooling - does the CPU come with its own cooling, do I need an additional fan for the Tower - don't plan on OC'ing

Thanks again very much - all new stuff to me.  Very grateful for your help.

If you never plan to overclock why are you potentially willing to pay a premium for the "unlocked" "i7-2600K" version.  The i7-2600 is less expensive   I guess the other two do not have an "locked" versions avaialble.