4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2011 2:08 PM by Mstreuswaz

Jagged Edges on Raster Images in After Effects/Encore

Mstreuswaz

I've been working on a project that uses movie files made in After Effects and then brought into Encore to create a DVD. The problem I'm having is jagged edges appearing on raster photo images - things like people's chins especially look jagged. All looks ok on my monitor/computer, but once I watch it on my flat screen TV I get these jagged edges. I've tried transcoding Progressive in Encore but that didn't help.

Someone please help me!!!

• 1. Re: Jagged Edges on Raster Images in After Effects/Encore
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yes, it's MPEG compression, and no, there is no "flip a switch" magic cure. Probably what happens is:

- you are not suitably color correcting your image, resulting in oversaturationthat's bad for compression

- you have thin lines and only slightly angled edges on the photos

- you are not using motion blur

- you have overcranked our TV's colors

- the TV does some image processing/ scaling/ frame rate coversion

These ad a million other things will conribute to percception of poor video, but as I said, geerally there is no simple solution here. Compression isunavoidabl, but there are of course ways to improve the results. You should do a little reading up on this. O the AE side you may improved by choosing suitabe renderr settings, using a tiny bit of blur, enabling motion blur, chnaging the motion of the items, adjusting their colors - whichever works. Again, no geeral recipe here. Good compression is a art we all have had to learn over the years ad the best advise can't replace persoal experience.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Jagged Edges on Raster Images in After Effects/Encore
            Mstreuswaz Level 1

Thanks so much for your reply. I rendered it with Motion Blur and what a difference! There's a few that are still showing some chops but I'll tool around with those. When you add a blur to your images - do you choose to do it in Photoshop or do you use the deinterlace feature in After Effects?

• 3. Re: Jagged Edges on Raster Images in After Effects/Encore
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

All DVDs are standard-definition... well, by definition.  If you look at them on an HD TV set, they won't look as good as a Blu-Ray disk would.  AE doesn't make the best-looking MPEG2 files on the planet.  It might help if you render a lossless file using AE, then use Encore to make the MPEG2 file for authoring.  Adobe Media Encoder also makes good-looking MPEG2 files.

I like to use Quicktime's PNG codec for lossless rendering in AE.

Another problem you could have is incorrect field order.  DVDs use Lower Field First, which is how you must render in AE if you render fields.  If you DO NOT render fields, a field order of None, you should also be fine.

• 4. Re: Jagged Edges on Raster Images in After Effects/Encore
                Mstreuswaz Level 1

Thanks for the tip, Dave - I'll definitely check out that PNG render!