4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2011 12:24 PM by bogiesan

Exposure Tracking?

weshthegenius

Hi, I'm new here, (I'm Italian) and I have a problem.

I recorded some videos with a Nikon D90, resolution is not so bad, but the main problem is that exposure and brightness change fast in every frame, and create an annoying flashing effect that make the video look like a mobile phone shot. I don't want to change the exposure frame by frame (even if it may result good), so I would like to ask if there is an "exposure tracker" like the motion tracker for AE?

Thanks!

Wesh

• 1. Re: Exposure Tracking?
          AtonMusic Level 2

Trust me... If you are unexperienced, you will be a lot better off (and faster) just by correcting those exposure problems manually, yes... Frame by frame.

Take you about two hours. But it will take longer sitting there trying to establish some kind of routine. Not to mention waiting for an answer here.

• 2. Re: Exposure Tracking?
            bogiesan Level 4

And you will want to learn how to shoot your D90 properly. Manual exposure. Manual focus. Understand the roles of ISO, shutter speed, frame rate, f-stop and the effects situations such as heavy backlighting have on the image being recorded. After Effects is a superb post production repair tool but it's easier to get bette video on location.

• 3. Re: Exposure Tracking?
              weshthegenius Level 1

The problem (i don't know if there are new D90 firmwares) is that when you set manual exposure and manual focus, the camera switches automaticly to auto when you start recording video. I can't even set the frame rate or the F-Stop when you record videos, only the ISO.... I'm an editor, I don't film.

I know I'm going OT if I talk about cameras, but don't you know anything to help me with these bad recordings?

• 4. Re: Exposure Tracking?
                bogiesan Level 4

Ah, we have a D90 but we shoot our video, when we must, using a Nikon D7000. I have incorrectly assumed the D90 had similar creative controls. There are way too many cameras to keep trakc of. 

I'm afraid Anton has the only correct answer. It's a frame by frame correction using any of several filters. Levels will probably do it for you. There are lots of color correction and level adjustment filters in the basic package. If you know Photoshop, you may be able to make some better choices of which to use.

If the camera is controling exposure, do you know what it's doing? I'm guessing f-stop is changing on the fly. You obviously will be unable to correct for changing focus caused by depth of field shifts.

Sorry you're stuck with this task.