8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 4:41 AM by cmpix

Spinning 3D logo problem when importing from PS5 Extended

cmpix

Hi folks,

I have created a logo in Photoshop CS5.1 extended (part of the Production Premium suite), firstly in 2D then using the Repouse tool giving it a bit of depth in 3D and saving it as a PSD file.

I'm then importing the Photoshop PSD file into After Effects 5.5 and everything at this point is tickety-boo. However, the problem that I'm having is that I want to spin the logo one full revolution per second but can't achieve it.

I can make it spin, but it spins like it's spinning round an upright tube, I want it to spin on the spot but I can't make the null and the logo and the vertical axis line up so when it spins it spins around in an arc/circle rather than spin on the spot.

Please see attached video and screen grab which might shed some light on my problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Link to logo on vimeo:- http://vimeo.com/32734400

ANNAN_LOGO_AE_SCREEN_GRAB1.jpg

ANNAN_LOGO_AE_SCREEN_GRAB2.jpg

• 1. Re: Spinning 3D logo problem when importing from PS5 Extended
          marian.ene Level 2

you have the anchor point of your logo outside the object, as seen in the top and right views. With the Pan Behind tool (Y) move it along the Y axis (the green arrow) until it's at the center of your object, or modify the Y property of the anchor point of the controller.

• 2. Re: Spinning 3D logo problem when importing from PS5 Extended
            cmpix Level 1

Hi Marian and thanks for the reply, unfortunately I am unable to do as you have suggested.

I think (though I am no expert) that due to how AE imports the 3D PS5 file as a comp with a null controller I am unable to alter the position of the anchor point in relation to the actual 3D object. If I do as you suggested and push the Y axis towards the logo/shield the logo/shield moves also. I've tried using the pan behind tool too but with no success.

Does that make sense?

Craig

• 3. Re: Spinning 3D logo problem when importing from PS5 Extended
              marian.ene Level 2

The object has it's properties linked to the controller's (they appear red on the timeline, they have expressions enabled) and altering them won't do anything. So you need to have the Flattened copy controller (2nd layer) selected when using Pan Behind, or on the timeline alter the properties of the same 2nd layer.

• 4. Re: Spinning 3D logo problem when importing from PS5 Extended
                cmpix Level 1

Hi Marian,

thanks again, I'll try that tonight when I get home.

Craig

• 5. Re: Spinning 3D logo problem when importing from PS5 Extended
                  marian.ene Level 2

Sorry, I just tried working with a 3D file from Photoshop, and it looks it's not that easy.

I managed to move the center of the object to its actual visual center by editing some of the expressions

psd3d.jpg

changed the values for Anchor Point and Position in the PSD layer (not the controller) from [960,540,0] to [0,0,0] and by rotating the controller I also manage to rotate the object around its visual center, not some random anchor point.

I'll have to dig more into those expressions, see how I could make things easier.

• 6. Re: Spinning 3D logo problem when importing from PS5 Extended
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You've got a couple of easy options here. The first is to open up your PSD file, select the 3D layer and choose Return Mesh to original position. It's a little icon that looks like a house in the 3D mesh panel. This should center the mesh in the composition.

The second is to duplicate the Controller null, rename it, then move the dupe into the center position and make the dupe the parent of the controller null.

A third option would be to make make the dupe the parent of the camera and animate the camera instead of the layer.

• 7. Re: Spinning 3D logo problem when importing from PS5 Extended
                      Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Another one option...

In Ps rotate mesh X-axis 90° CCW

Ps. Repoussé.jpg

In AE select Controller's layer, change its X orientation from 90° to 0°, reposition the layer according to composition center and animate Y Rotation instead of Z Rotation

• 8. Re: Spinning 3D logo problem when importing from PS5 Extended
                        cmpix Level 1

Hi folks,

many thanks for the many replies, I tried them all with varying degrees of success.

Mariann, I tried your method, switching off the expression for the anchor point and the position but I couldn't get it to wotk that way.

Fuzzy, I also tried it your way but again I could not get it to work.

Rick, I had already tried returning the mesh to it's origonal position but it did not work.

However, your suggestion about creating a new null object, positioning it in the centre of the shield and parenting the 3D controller null to it did work

I'm struggling to figure out why it doesn't work straight from PS but I suspect it's maybe got something to do with the lack of extruded depth...

More likely though I'm not doing it right TBH.

Again, many thanks to all for the help.

Craig

and the finished article...