9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 5:53 AM by jocstone_me

Step and Repeat InDesign CS5

MBell

When I step and repeat something not only is the repeated item(s) selected, but the original is selected as well. In previous versions only the last repeated item was selected after a step and repeat. Is there a way (preference or something) to change it so that step and repeat acts like the older versions?

• 1. Re: Step and Repeat InDesign CS5
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sorry, no.

• 2. Re: Step and Repeat InDesign CS5
            MBell Level 1

Thanks for the answer, even though it wasn't the one I wanted to hear.  I did some more digging and found a previous forum post on this subject. Seems I'm not the only one upset about this one. This design change was not an improvement! Do the design engineers even use the software? Sorry, just rambling as is is so irritating when Adobe thinks it needs to fix something that isn't broken.

• 3. Re: Step and Repeat InDesign CS5

The InDesign engineers are actually among the most responsive to customer input in the industry. I owould expect that either the change was made in response to heavy requests (volume license users tend to carry more weight in that area than those of us with single licenses, but I've had one or two wishes granted over the years) or becasue it was necessary to make some other new feature work. Would you give up the grid capability in S&R to change the selection behavior back? I know I wouldn't.

• 4. Re: Step and Repeat InDesign CS5
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

(Random Rant of the Week)

What about the default order of swatches, where [Paper] and [Black] got toggled around? What sort of improvement is that, and who was responsible for this particular request?

[Wait; better not answer that 2nd question.]

• 5. Re: Step and Repeat InDesign CS5

Can't help you with that one...

• 6. Re: Step and Repeat InDesign CS5
                    Petteri_Paananen Level 4

Only way I know you can do that (even remotely) is by taking one copy first by alt-dragging and then repeating that duplication by hitting comman+alt+shif+D (mac, I´m not sure what´s the KSC for windows) as many times as you need (you´ll get one copy each time). Last one remains selected that way... not so good work-around but may do the trick sometimes....

• 7. Re: Step and Repeat InDesign CS5
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

Peter:

The InDesign engineers are actually among the most responsive to customer input in the industry.

I read this statement and I struggle to figure out what it means.

I guess it might mean that if you have a magic direct line to Engineering, then they are responsive to you. That might be true, but it's not really helpful to most of us.

Perhaps you mean they are more responsive than the Quark is... (or...Apple is to Pages requests). I guess that could mean almost anything...

I don't mean to nitpick overmuch. When I hear "responsive," I tend to think that means an actual response. Trying to get that by, say, opening a case with Adobe Support and saying, "Why does this happen?" or "Please change that from A to B" is...at least in my experience...not an easy way to get resolution.

I suspect you mean the product tends to get new features and bug fixes that respond, in a general way, to the wants and needs of the design community.

With respect to the case of Step and Repeat, I have a nasty suspicion somebody thought the change was a good idea (or it happened by accident!), and didn't realize it would be a problem for some people. I don't use S&R much, what's the workflow/use case for which the new behavior is bad?

• 8. Re: Step and Repeat InDesign CS5

I meant that the ID team listens to users and trys to move in directions that those users want far more than any other I've ever encountered, not that you'll necessarily hear from them (though you might if they need clarification). This is in stark contrast to the Acrobat team, for example, who have a reputation for "my way or the highway."

I probaly should have used "receptive" instead.

• 9. Re: Step and Repeat InDesign CS5
                          jocstone_me Level 1

Do your step&repeat an other way, select your object, drag with alt key to desired place or use numeric values and hit enter with alt key, this makes your object to duplicate and move, make a (easy) shortcut for "Tranform again" (mine is alt-a), then, each time you press your shortcut, your object is duplicated and moved, works a bit like step&repeat …