9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2011 7:39 AM by denakel

image size and output restrictions

kytkosauruus

Do I understand it correctly, that it isn't possible to even open larger files than 1600x1600 in this app and the only local output possibility is a low quality jpeg? it's not mentioned in the description or tech data (why? ) just in some of the reviews, so I want to make sure as it is the key decision factor for me - I need an app that will allow me to adjust and export my DSLR pictures on the spot for immediate presentation e.g. at a wedding party, or to my own web gallery.

• 1. Re: image size and output restrictions
          David__B Adobe Employee

Hi Kytkosauruus,

The largest canvas that you can create to work within is 1600x1600 pixels. If you opened an image larger than this, that exceeded the size of the canvas, it would either need to be resized to fit within these dimensions or would be cropped by the canvas dimensions in the app. I created a new 1600x1600 document and emailed it to myself and it was 670KB, so I wouldn't call it a low quality jpeg but 1600x1600 is probably going to be smaller than most DSLR image dimensions. For printing, 1600x1600 is 5.33 by 5.33 inches printed at 300 dpi or 10.667 by 10.667 inches printed at 150 dpi.

Hope the info helps,

-Dave

• 2. Re: image size and output restrictions
            Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

David__B wrote:

If you opened an image larger than this, that exceeded the size of the canvas, it would either need to be resized to fit within these dimensions or would be cropped by the canvas dimensions in the app.

Mmm...I've opened several large images, way larger than 1600 pixels wide (over 4000 pixels wide). Photoshop Touch didn't crop them; it resized them to fit the canvas (unless that's what you meant?).

I can understand the limitation due to tablets just not being powerful enough currently. They're peppy, yeah, but they're not Intel i7 machines. Still pretty darned good though, all things considered.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: image size and output restrictions
              kytkosauruus Level 1

Thanks for both of your answers, so the problem of opening images is solved (my problem was that the tech specs don't state what will happen to images larger than 1600x1600, auto crop on opening would mean the app is unusable as I really don't use just the center of the image, same as not opening larger images at all. Auto resize to fit canvas size is logical, but from some of the reviews on the Android market I wasn't sure that this is what the app does and wanted to be sure. I still think that the canvas size restriction is unnecessarilly tight and eg. 2000x2000 or 2500x2500 possibility would be much more useful and not a problem for faster tablets (as I normally work with 12 Mpix raw files on a 4year old laptop), but I think I could live with this.)

But the second problem with image saving isn't solved - I need to know, what options there are for local output to the memory or SD card/USB port device in the tablet. From some of the reviews, it seems to me that it is possible to output files only by email or cloud, which seems crazy to me, but I want to make sure they are wrong... Not mentioning that it would be impossible in certain situations. eg. when photographing a wedding somewhere without wi-fi connection and with the need to output photographs for example to somebody elses computer for a slideshow or for printing them, so that the newlyweds get them at the evening party, etc...

And I don't need just the pixel dimensions of the output file, but also the possible quality settings. 1600x1600 is usually usable, but it depends on the jpeg compression setting too.

• 4. Re: image size and output restrictions
                ibarrien Adobe Employee

If you look in the Photoshop Touch gallery you can use the Export button (second from the left) to "Save to Camera Roll", then select the files you want to export as JPG.

It will then save it to your Camera folder in the Gallery (DCIM folder).

thanks,

Ignacio

• 5. Re: image size and output restrictions
                  kytkosauruus Level 1

Thanks, and would I be able to choose the jpeg compression value? And if not, what will the default value be (e.g. compared to a Photoshop CS options)?

• 6. Re: image size and output restrictions
                    David__B Adobe Employee

There isn't a quality setting but it saves at the highest quality possible. My test 1600x1600 image from PS Touch was 671KB, same image saved from Photoshop CS5 as a Jpeg, quality setting of 12 (max) is 625kb.

-Dave

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: image size and output restrictions
                      denakel

wait a minute.  So if I'm understanding this correctly, if I download this software and use it to edit and resave my photos, it's going to resize them?!?!  Is this correct?  Is there a way to preserve the original size??

• 8. Re: image size and output restrictions
                        Serapth2

If they are > 1600 width or height, yes, that is exactly what would happen.

• 9. Re: image size and output restrictions
                          denakel Level 1

well that sucks   Are there any plans to remove this restriction in the future?  Who would want to do some fine tuning on their nice pictures only to have them shrink down to 1600 x 1600??